Friday 16 March 2018

The Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk

TonightFunzing - via Walking in London - had The Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk. Hell, the alliteration alone got me interested! Got it for free, what with a combination of my loyalty discount, and the crazy_fun 10% discount code. Which they seem to keep alternating with LoveFun.



More photos here. Anyway, I could walk to this walk - and so I did, in good time. Unfortunately, I had to bring my laptop along - never mind, I was supplied with a backpack for the purpose, so managed ok. We were to meet outside the Lord Raglan - a haunted place in its own right, it seems - where there was a huge crowd, so soon after work on a Friday. Our guide had said he'd be easy to spot - the only one dressed as a Victorian undertaker. In the event, he wasn't that easy - just a black waistcoat with what looked like a couple of watch chains, under a trenchcoat. However, he was stood sensibly outside the main crowd, and directed me around the corner, to where he was keeping the group till we set off.



As usual, this chap turned out to have his own walking group, separate to any I'd heard of - London Discovery Walks, his is - and his website is quite a resource, with free guides, a list of his walks, quizzes.. it also turns out that he's a Blue Badge guide, and author of several books! Sure enough, he revealed himself to be both knowledgeable and eloquent as he took us down some familiar streets - and yes, some unfamiliar ones, even to me! It's a source of constant amazement to me that there are still streets - and stories - I'm not familiar with.

Greyfriars churchyard to start with, where he invited us to take a seat on the benches. And told stories I knew - but I'd never before heard that the bench we were sitting on was carved with a skull and crossbones, to warn people off, as it was a plague pit! Other stories followed, at some familiar locations - in each location came a story that was new to me. Very impressive - and entertaining. We finally finished at a location I'd never known about - a garden in the Barbican, with a section of Roman wall (haunted, of course). 'Tis said that a faceless, hooded figure has been photographed here - haven't noticed such a person in my photos yet..



Highly recommended! Tomorrow, London European Club organised a trip to a ceilidh for St. Patrick's Day - however, it was subsequently cancelled, for essential ongoing maintenance work on the building. Which, mind you, worked out perfectly for me, as after booking it, I discovered I'm travelling to the company's Silicon Valley office that day, where I'll be for most of next week. It'll be my first time in California. Not a great start with BA, mind, whose app completely failed to recognise that I had a booking at all, so that I had to print my boarding pass. They then passed me to the IATA website to check that I didn't need a visa - which the site concluded that I did, despite me having got an ESTA right after I booked the flight! Hmph, methinks they need to update that website. Imagine stressing people like that. I have enough stress, just thinking about packing..

And when I get back, I'll be turning straight around and flying to Ireland for the weekend. With nothing much on Meetup for the 26th, I'm thinking of a film - but of course, the listings aren't out yet! Watch this space.. hoping to get some ticked off my list on the plane anyway. Assuming they let me board.. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment