Monday 19 March 2018

San Francisco

Yesterday was my only chance to investigate sightseeing options for San Francisco.. well, I started the day by researching how to get to town, which I hadn't had time to do before! I was appalled to learn that either train was going to take me over two hours.. not only that, but I was nowhere near either of them. The BART would have been slightly faster, but I'd have needed to get the bus, and I figured, you know, too much hassle for my first time in town, having to figure out stops. Instead, I plumped for the light rail, which would take me to the nearest station for the Caltrain. I hear they're to get BART at some stage, too - which would be handy.

Also had to Skype my mother. So, by the time I got out of the hotel it was 10:40. And by the time I made my way to the nearest light rail station, navigating a neighbourhood of sidewalks that just end abruptly and without warning - so you have to cross these almightily wide roads to continue your journey - it was after 11. I could take either train - unfortunately, the first to arrive was the one I had to change from, so I had another wait en route. These are only about every 15 minutes - jeez, London would go insane!

Well, it was nearly 12 by the time I got to the Caltrain station. Or, rather to the corresponding light rail station - and could I find how to get across?! I finally walked all the way around the main road. Finally inside, I got a ticket - sadly, it didn't recognise my Monzo card and I had to use my Irish credit card, having no cash - ascertained my platform number, and went in search of food. Which turned out to be a packet of crisps - I didn't fancy the shop's selection of rolls. They didn't take cash, but had a convenient ATM just inside the door. With a $2.25 fee - never mind. The crisps themselves were honey & dijon - something of a favourite flavour here, it seems - and were quite tasty. As I was eating them, I headed off to the platform - and blast it, there was the entrance from the light rail! Had I been on the other light rail platform, I'd have seen it.



More photos here. I had nearly an hour to wait, for the train - which was old-fashioned, and already on the platform - but they seem to have the habit here of not opening the doors until about 15 minutes before departure. Happily, when they finally did, I managed to connect to WiFi - always nice, when that's what you're depending on. And a two-hour trip ensued - as we moved from brown to green landscape, there wasn't honestly much to look at, apart from some notably weird passengers. By the time we were disgorged in San Francisco, a full two hours later (nearly 3pm, by now), I was quite stiff.. people who aren't used to the train were shocked to hear, today, how long it takes! Well, it is only 45 miles, apparently - but it does stop everywhere.

Now, I realised that if I took the King Street exit, I'd come onto Embarcadero - which someone had said was good. On and on I walked, remarking to myself that this sure was a magnificent sea walk - and I sure did see some sights worth seeing:









But as time wore on, and the afternoon wore on, I started to worry that I'd never get to see everything. I finally came across a place with fliers for the BB Big Bus Tour, and determined that, given how long it was taking me to get anywhere, I'd be well advised to let them do the walking for me. Mind you, I still had something of a walk to get to where they were - in the event, I just made it in time for the 4:45 tour.. I was lucky, their last is at 5! After a hoo-ha buying my ticket - I was sent into the office, where they stared at my cash as if they'd never seen it before - I scrambled onboard, grabbed a set of earphones, and was just seated upstairs when we jolted off.

Now, it was a conscious decision to sit upstairs, but a brave one - it was fairly freezing. But my, what a good idea to take the tour, as we seemed to hit all the highlights: the financial district, Union Square, where the posh shopping is, Haight-Ashbury, centre of the 60s hippie revolution.



We saw plenty of beautiful, painted houses, and some of those famously steep streets:

 



The highlight must, of course, have been the Golden Gate Bridge, which we crossed, stopping for photo opportunities on the other side.










Wouldn't you know it, my blasted phone picked that moment to die! Well, at least I got the important stuff. And at least now I could put my gloves on - I was frozen to the bone. On the way back, we passed Nob Hill and Chinatown - I got off at the touristy Pier 39, for the sake of the souvenir shop, which I guessed would be the last I'd see here. And by now, still shivering, I realised I wouldn't even have time to eat, really, if I were to get the last train back - the tour had taken nearly two and a half hours. I decided to walk - cutting across town this time. Didn't quite manage to leave the Embarcadero before a skateboarder got me - he'd just passed me, came off his board, and sent it shooting back to me. Where it got me in the ankle, ouch!

The train was at 9:37, arriving in San Jose (the final stop) at 11:22pm. A frigid wait for a light rail train followed - which, with the late hour, was finishing early, so I then had another wait for a second train! Got to the hotel about three hours after I caught that train from San Francisco. To a set of emails inviting me to a series of meetings - starting at 8 this morning! No wonder I didn't blog last night..

Tonight, going to treat myself (now that my meals are expensable). I have a yen for Chinese, and there's one within walking distance, with a good rep.. and then, I think, straight to bed, given my broken night's sleep, what with freezing cold, that could only be alleviated by a noisy fan heater. Well, the cold can hardly be avoided, with inch-high gaps under all the doors!

When I fly back, I'll be turning straight around and flying to Ireland for the weekend. With nothing much on Meetup for the 26th, I'm thinking of a film - but of course, the listings aren't out yet! Watch this space.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment