Monday 19 March 2018

Restaurant: Jade Cathay

Tonight, treated myself (now that my meals are expensable). I had a yen for Chinese, and there's one within walking distance, with a good rep.. decided to go there, and once they opened (they do have limited opening hours), schlepped down there. Crossing straight away again, silly me - no sidewalk there! Had to retrace my steps. Still, it's a pleasant walk down North 1st Street, tree-lined for much of the way.

I didn't have the best first view of Jade Cathay - but then, I was seeing it across the car park. The actual entrance is on the street side - and once I figured out which door was unlocked, and pushed my way in, I was soon seated - taking the time to note the WiFi details (not that anyone contacted me, so I didn't use it). I was soon brought a drink - of the three white wines on the menu, one was already sold out, and so must the one I ordered have been, because he offered me a glass of the expensive one. Only a dollar more than the others for a glass, and I agreed. All Californian, I noted.

Kung Pao chicken - and the first time I've seen it served with peanuts! Spicier than I'm used to - I was very glad I hadn't ordered the Szechuan. But deliciously spiced, and just the right level of hotness. I would definitely recommend the place - friendly service, family-run, apparently - and won't break the bank. Nice enough room too, decent decor, not too formal. A couple of tvs playing. Yep, a very decent Chinese - recommended.

Soon, I think, straight to bed, given my broken night's sleep, what with freezing cold, that could only be alleviated by a noisy fan heater. Well, the cold can hardly be avoided, with inch-high gaps under all the doors!

When I fly back, I'll be turning straight around and flying to Ireland for the weekend. With nothing much on Meetup for the 26th, I'm thinking of a film - but of course, the listings aren't out yet! Watch this space.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment