Friday 9 March 2018

Pub: The Merchant of Bishopsgate

Today, Helen's in town, so we agreed to meet for lunch, somewhere TBD around Liverpool Street, where she has business. I walked down, so set off a bit early - the problem with asking Google Maps' opinion is, of course, that it thinks I can enter from this side! which I can't, what with the building works. So I need to go all the way around, and it takes a lot longer.


I was still slogging toward the entrance when she texted to say she was now headed for there. By the time she got there, I was inside, and had ascertained that the only decent place in the station to get a full meal is the Merchant of Bishopsgate, lower level, near Platform 1, where I've been well fed before. So we eventually found each other, and managed to grab about the last low-level table that was free; it was lunchtime, after all!

I had the delish bbq chicken again, she had one of their large range of burgers. No starters here really - probably due to the transient nature of the clientele, who generally have somewhere else to be. And we happily cleared our plates - when we asked for the dessert menu, we were told that the only option was a chocolate brownie with ice cream. Ah, ok then! And that was delish too - although the scoop of ice cream was sadly minuscule. Never mind, it is a good source of good food, with fast service.

On the way out, I spotted a small Hotel Chocolat - no hot chocolate, but I did make a purchase, and that'll be handy for future reference! Just found out, too, that the book on which last night's walk was based is available here - I just ordered a copy. This evening, I have to slog back to the station - I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On Monday, London Dramatic Arts was going to Caroline, or Change, at Hampstead Theatre. As usual, too expensive for me, and I got my own ticket, at about half the price. She was only going with one unnamed guest, and now doesn't seem to be going at all..

On Tuesday, Funzing (via Meetup) is throwing up a couple of things I've already done, and several I'm not interested in. The CLOG has an interesting-sounding walk - but frankly, I find  them a bit clingy - not inclined to go again, I don't fancy the constant pressure to join for good! I was thinking of a film, but what came up was Makala, a documentary about a young Congolese charcoal farmer - not that interested. Instead, I'm going - with my £3.60 club - to a play called Glass Roots, in the Tristan Bates Theatre. Early bird discount price is £12..

On Wednesday and Thursday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats; Wednesday is The Great Wave, in the DorfmanOn Thursday, the opening night of Ballet Black, at the Barbican. Sold out now.

Next Friday, Funzing - via Walking in London - has The Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk. Hell, the alliteration alone got me interested! Got it for free, what with a combination of my loyalty discount, and the crazy_fun 10% discount code. (They've changed to Lovefun now.)

On the 17th, London European Club organised a trip to a ceilidh for St. Patrick's Day - however, it was subsequently cancelled, for essential ongoing maintenance work on the building. Which, mind you, worked out perfectly for me, as after booking it, I discovered I'm travelling to the company's Silicon Valley office that day, where I'll be for most of the following week. It'll be my first time in California. And when I get back, I'll be turning straight around and flying to Ireland for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment