Thursday 1 March 2018

Play: Summer and Smoke

Last night, Summer and Smoke (Tennessee Williams) at the Almeida. Does include actual cigarette smoke, and a gunshot. North London Friends were going, but I had bought my own ticket. Sold out ages before.. and I could walk there. With Yaktrax - it wasn't supposed even to get as warm as freezing yesterday, so I suspected the pavements wouldn't improve.

Far from it - in fact, there was a heavy dump of snow overnight. And it spent most of the day snowing.. felt like living in a snow globe, as I remarked!


When I told the group I'd be there independently, the organiser kindly added me to their list. Come evening, it was at it again. I was in two minds whether to walk, it being close enough - but decided to risk it. I did wonder about my decision, as I struggled up City Road in driving wind and subzero temperatures, snow blowing every which way, and me freezing my hand off every time I had to check my phone:


Mercifully, when I turned onto Wharf Road, it all stopped! (And for future reference, yes it is the one right after the filling station.) All I had to contend with now was what was on the ground - not a problem, with Yaktrax. (Not to be underestimated, mind - one of our number told us she'd slipped, when she lost concentration just around the corner from the theatre, and ended up on the ground. Unhurt, mind.) As I trudged on, I had to remark - as someone had said on Facebook, earlier in the day - on the optimism of some cafe owners, putting furniture outside:


The organiser messaged us that she'd got there a bit early. I arrived a little after the arranged time - well, it's hard to hurry in those conditions! And after a quick trip to the loo, I joined them in the lobby - no seats, of course: this venue has a terrible lobby for meeting in, not nearly enough space. I was so glad to be in the Stalls, so I didn't have to go out again to get to my seat - the Circle has a separate entrance. Anyhoo, when the organiser saw I was sat over the other side of the Stalls from them, she kindly offered me one of her spare tickets, if I wanted - some people had cancelled, quite understandably, under the conditions - hey, most of my office had stayed home too. So I accepted, and sat with them. Pity I didn't realise that Seatplan now does the Almeida, actually - I could have taken a photo from my seat and got credit for it!

Curious staging - nine standard pianos ring the stage. If you are unsure what they are, the metronome sat on top of each should give you a clue. A simple wooden chair in front of each, and a mic on a stand in the centre. One of those minimalist plays, then. Now, the Wikipedia article on this play mentions that there are 13 scenes in it (rather fewer than I seemed to remember when talking about it last night, but still a lot). And as we agreed afterwards, maybe minimalism is the best way to handle all of that changing; there was mention of the current production of Fanny & Alexander - which was described as confusing, with its frequent changes - and as someone said, best way to handle that is not to have anything there to change!

The play centres, mainly, on the young daughter of a minister - Alma, whose name means "soul" in Spanish - played by Patsy Ferran. Although she's quite a reserved individual - nervous, highly strung, conscious of her place in the community - you can't miss her in this production. At the very start, she nervously takes her place at the microphone - as it turns out, she's something of a singer, and has been asked to sing at some community function.

It soon becomes apparent what a brilliant production decision the pianos are. Individual notes, played staccato, create an unbelievable sense of unease - as at the mic, the young lady seizes up in a gasping panic attack, to a riveted audience.

Other actors - there are eight, in all - sit at the pianos, or lean or stand on or near them for most of the show. Most play multiple parts - usually without confusion, although there is a little at the start, with the same guy (Forbes Masson) playing both Alma's father, and the father of the dishy young doctor (Matthew Needham) that lives next door. Nancy Crane plays a blinder as Alma's mother, who has some sort of mental condition that means she can go around acting as she pleases - and she has great fun with that, and with her outspoken other character. Alma's father, naturally, disapproves of the young man, pointing out his wayward habits of drinking, gambling, and driving too fast - but she rebels for the first time in her life, falling for the fellow that she thinks is absolutely beautiful..

Now, if the course of true love ran straight, it wouldn't be much of a story, would it? The play is set over 16 years, as the young pair try to figure out how to square the circle of their opposing views about life. By the end, it becomes apparent that nobody has just one side to them, as nobody ends up quite where you might have predicted.

I absolutely adored this. I love Tennessee Williams, and although I'd never heard of this play, I've never yet seen one of his that I didn't like. The production - typically for the Almeida, actually - is amazing. The pianos, as I've mentioned, are an inspired touch - I remember one fraught scene in particular, at the end of which I realised that someone had been sawing directly on the piano strings, creating a low, ominous sound that I only then noticed. In particular, it became apparent to me as the play progressed that the pianist in the middle was the only one who hadn't yet acted - well, in a delightful touch, they bring him on right at the end to play a one-scene character. Nicely done!

It's an intense, gripping, moving play. Terrific acting, not just by the principals - a special shout out to Anjana Vasan, who switches effortlessly among three very different characters, identifiable by the way she wears her hair for each one! Best thing I've seen in a long while - I'm not surprised that the house was almost full, even with the weather! Runs until the 7th of April - booking strongly advised.

My runny nose / cough didn't cause too much trouble - I was glad I'd got a wine at the interval though, that helped a lot. And afterwards, some hardy souls stayed for one in the now-empty bar, where we dissected the play and had a lovely chat. And thanks so much to the one who bought me another wine - I owe you one! This was my latest night out in a while - so I figured I'd leave the blogging till today.

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - and Meetup - at the Bridge Theatre, for what I hear is a stunning performance of Julius Caesar. You get the choice of being part of the crowd - I'm not. Modern setting. Cancellations abound, from people worried about transport - I'm blessed in that respect, of course.

Tomorrow, back with North London Friends, at Hampstead Theatre, for Acceptance.

On Saturday, Up in the Cheap Seats, and Beginning, at the Ambassadors Theatre. For once, not an official ticket for this - got better value with What's on Stage!

On Sunday, I found another Southwark tour - excellent! The "Family Friendly Liberty of the Clink" tour is run by Walking in London.. therefore Funzing.. and Londonist is involved somewhere too. Hard to keep track of everyone involved in walks. The standard code (crazy_fun) is still giving 10% off on Funzing's website. I believe the weather's supposed to have warmed up by then..

On Monday, London European Club is headed to Monologue Slam, an actors' showcase at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East.

On Tuesday, Up in the Cheap Seats is at Sadler's Wells for a performance by Ballet British Colombia.

On Wednesday, Let's Do This is off to a jazz evening at Two Temple Place. Beautiful venue - should be a lovely evening.

Next Thursday, Walking Victorian London is running a walk around Il Quartiere - Tales from Italian Clerkenwell. Excellent - I've had my eye on that for a while.

On the 9th, Helen's in town, so we're headed for lunch, somewhere TBD. In the evening, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 12th, London Dramatic Arts is at Caroline, or Change, at Hampstead Theatre. As usual, too expensive for me, and I got my own ticket, at about half the price. She's only going with one unnamed guest - maybe she won't go at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment