Tuesday 13 March 2018

Play: Glass Roots

Tonight, Funzing (via Meetup) threw up a couple of things I've already done, and several I wasn't interested in. The CLOG had an interesting-sounding walk - but frankly, I find  them a bit clingy - not inclined to go again, I don't fancy the constant pressure to join for good! I was thinking of a film, but what came up was Makala, a documentary about a young Congolese charcoal farmer - not that interested. Instead, I booked - with my £3.60 club - for a play called Glass Roots, in the Tristan Bates Theatre. Early bird discount price is £12..

Either of two buses would do me, and as I approached the stop, both pulled up to it! No way was I in the mood to run, however - I was early anyway. So I missed both, and a five-minute wait ensued. En route, was entertained by a young lady jiggling to music only she could hear, on her headphones. Or maybe she had mild Tourette's. Anyway, it was very rhythmic. I duly disembarked at Tottenham Court Road, where I was hit with a wave of nostalgia - I miss living around here. My walk to the theatre took me within sight of our old office building - I see they haven't demolished it yet! And then I couldn't remember exactly where this extremely discreet theatre was - go down Earlham Street, it's just on the corner with Tower Street.

Just had to give my name, and I got one of their laminated, reusable tickets. Downstairs to the bar, which is a bit weird - the serving area is at such a low level, the bar staff are only at the height of the customers' waists! A glass of wine, a packet of Maltesers - plenty of space, this early, and I had no problem getting a seat to read my paper. As I waited, it turned out that most of those who'd got there before me were there for an improv session - I hadn't realised there's another studio here. Anyway, I was just on the point of finishing my drink when we were called into the "play-play", as the woman behind the bar had called it.

I took a front-row seat - it's a small theatre, and was fairly full. All I knew was that it was a play about racism. Well, it immediately became obvious that it's set in an Indian restaurant in England - Indian music plays over the speakers, tables are set up, an Indian-looking man sits writing at a table. It also soon becomes apparent that it's set in the 70s (why?!) - if the decor doesn't give it away, the Blue Nun (!) that's produced for the diners should, as should the old-fashioned phone on the counter, and more so, the absence of mobile phones of any kind.

Point: the glasses of mineral water that are poured are very small. Anyway. In short, this is dreadful. Oh, the acting's all right - they do their best with terrible material. Thank goodness it's only 70 minutes long - I was looking at my watch almost constantly from halfway through (in common with most bad pieces, there's no interval). Indeed, I couldn't resist the urge to read some more of my paper. See, there are six people in this - the Indian couple who run the restaurant, the two awful National-Front-type thugs who invade on a night of rioting, and a higher-class English couple, cringeworthy in their attempts (well, hers) to interact with the Indian couple - he looks down on them as servants (honestly, are there people who are still that ignorant?), she is patronising, and embarassingly flirty, in her attempts to befriend the Indian man.

Neither is it entertaining to watch, nor does it tell us anything new. Most of the time is spent suffering the display of ignorance on the part of the thugs, as they terrorise the restaurateurs - furniture and threats are thrown around, and one gives a particularly unpleasant rendition of a nationalist song (in a fine voice, I must concede). On and on it goes, and you do wonder what the point is - we all know this happens. The other couple are obviously there for light relief, but they're just annoying. I groaned when they came back on, once the danger was past. The only noteworthy moment is when the Indian woman gets to have her say - otherwise, its only merit is that it's short. Of course it is - the playwright obviously couldn't think of anything else to say! I left with relief. Runs till the 24th - AVOID! Also, I didn't pay as much, but the regular ticket prices for this are far too steep.

Tomorrow and on Thursday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats; Wednesday is The Great Wave, in the DorfmanOn Thursday, the opening night of Ballet Black, at the Barbican. Sold out now.

On Friday, Funzing - via Walking in London - has The Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk. Hell, the alliteration alone got me interested! Got it for free, what with a combination of my loyalty discount, and the crazy_fun 10% discount code.

On Saturday, London European Club organised a trip to a ceilidh for St. Patrick's Day - however, it was subsequently cancelled, for essential ongoing maintenance work on the building. Which, mind you, worked out perfectly for me, as after booking it, I discovered I'm travelling to the company's Silicon Valley office that day, where I'll be for most of the following week. It'll be my first time in California. And when I get back, I'll be turning straight around and flying to Ireland for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment