Saturday 3 March 2018

Play: Beginning

Today, after a most welcome lie-in, Up in the Cheap Seats, and the matinée of Beginning, at the Ambassadors Theatre. For once, not an official ticket for this - got better value with What's on Stage!

Got myself out just in time to get to the mail sorting office before they closed. Now, this is the Mount Pleasant one, and a new one to me - Google Maps said it wasn't a long walk, so off I went, delighted to see that the pavements were mostly clear! It turns out that this was also my local office when I was in my last place - but we had a reception desk to take mail, so never had to go there. It also seems that this is the largest sorting office in London. Well, they have a post office fronting on Rosebery Avenue, from which side I approached - but it turned out to be closed. That contradicted what the delivery card they'd left said - so I decided to continue on, down Mount Pleasant itself, where Google Maps indicated.

Sure enough, it's a massive building - as I passed, I could see the actual sorting office, in the basement, a couple of people working among all the mail. I eventually came to a door - heck, the staff entrance! For "customer enquiries", I had to keep trudging on. Jeez, how big this building was.. so, at the bottom, I turned right onto Phoenix Place - the sign promised I had 50 metres to go. Finally, there was the door - and with five minutes to spare. So, I gratefully picked up my parcel - salted caramel hot chocolate, from Hotel Chocolat (I hadn't been able to find it in any branch I tried).

Now, I was already a ways along my route, and the parcel wasn't too big - so I just took it with me. And Google Maps now put me within half an hour's walk of the theatre - so off I went, and what a joy it was not to have to worry about slipping and sliding! I arrived at around the time we'd arranged - sure enough, I didn't think I'd been to this theatre before. If you're looking for it, it's the one right next door to where The Mousetrap is playing. (Beware, do NOT read the linked-to article if you don't want to know the ending.. indeed, keeping the murderer's identity secret is all part of the tradition of this show. Highly recommended, though.)

Well, the lobby was absolutely crammed - I had my bag checked and went to queue at the box office. As I got my ticket, the organiser popped up behind me - lucky that, I'd just been wondering how I'd spot them! Well, she suggested we wait outside for the others - she was later to try the toilets, which are apparently also short on space. Very squished theatre, this! As we waited, it became apparent that nobody else was going to show - apart from one, who said she was feeling under the weather, nobody else changed their RSVP or let her know they wouldn't be coming, which I think is very bad form! At least they were responsible for their own tickets..

So, at 10 to, we went in - she in the Stalls, I in the Circle. I had a very friendly usher - American accent - who not only directed me to my seat, but said, "You see the guy up there in red? He's sitting beside you." Good customer service! As I clambered up to my row, I remarked that these are steep steps - I haven't seen the like, apart from the Coliseum! But the place is small, with only two aisles, each equipped with a rail, so that was fine. I was also on the end of the row, which was lovely for (carefully) dumping my parcel, and meant I had as much legroom as I needed - but the legroom is decent here.


It's a one-act play, two characters - to give you some backstory, she (Justine Mitchell) has just thrown a housewarming, and that same day, she was wining and dining a client, mentioned the party, and the client asked whether he could come, and bring a friend. This is the friend - and the last to leave. The entire play features the back and forth between them, as (almost) every obstacle you could reasonably think of arises in conversation to prevent them beginning a relationship.

It starts really slowly. Like, really. Five minutes or more of them just kind of staring at each other. And once they did start to speak, honestly, the audience found it far funnier than I did (what a surprise). However, I got into the pace after a while - and there's a lot to like here. It's quite true to life - except that, in real life, he'd have left a lot quicker in such an awkward situation. (Warning - expect swearing and adult themes.) The staging is great - it all takes place in one room; this is obvious from the start, with so much attention to detail. Still, it doesn't deserve some of the glowing reviews I've seen - or do they do that for anything with mass appeal? Steep ticket prices, too. Nah, I think you'd be better off at The Mousetrap. Runs till the 24th, limited availability.

Afterwards, still no sign of the rest of the group. I fancied food, and we ended up in Jamie's Italian - quite appropriate, as he'd been namechecked in the play. A bit of a queue, but we were sat quickly, in their large basement area. Comfy sofa in the corner. My companion wasn't eating, just had a camomile tea, for warmth - but I had garlic bread and a carbonara, and a glass of wine. Now, the last time I ate in Jamie's, it was simply dire - this was fine, actually, except that the pasta was a bit chewier than I'm used to. Overpriced, mind, and wouldn't ever be my first choice of restaurant. But it's nice to give people a second chance, eh? And it was nice to have someone to chat to. After which, she headed off to meet friends, and I headed home, in the lashing rain (not snow, for once!) after checking my way to the bus, while a customer searched in vain for anyone with a light..

Tomorrow, I found another Southwark tour - excellent! The "Family Friendly Liberty of the Clink" tour is run by Walking in London.. therefore Funzing.. and Londonist is involved somewhere too. Hard to keep track of everyone involved in walks. The standard code (crazy_fun) is still giving 10% off on Funzing's website. I believe the weather's supposed to have warmed up by then.. here's hoping. Not as long a lie-in as today, but I'll be to bed early.

On Monday, London European Club is headed to Monologue Slam, an actors' showcase at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East.

On Tuesday, Up in the Cheap Seats is at Sadler's Wells for a performance by Ballet British Colombia.

On Wednesday, Let's Do This is off to a jazz evening at Two Temple Place. Beautiful venue - should be a lovely evening.

On Thursday, Walking Victorian London is running a walk around Il Quartiere - Tales from Italian Clerkenwell. Excellent - I've had my eye on that for a while.

On Friday, Helen's in town, so we're headed for lunch, somewhere TBD. In the evening, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 12th, London Dramatic Arts is at Caroline, or Change, at Hampstead Theatre. As usual, too expensive for me, and I got my own ticket, at about half the price. She's only going with one unnamed guest - maybe she won't go at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment