Monday 12 March 2018

Musical: Caroline, or Change

Tonight, London Dramatic Arts was going to the opening night of Caroline, or Change, at Hampstead Theatre. As usual, too expensive for me, and I got my own ticket, at about half the price. She was only going with one unnamed guest, and eventually cancelled the Meetup.

Dragging myself away from work (no, really!), I took the bus to Camden, where I had to change to another - counter-intuitively, as you walk ahead, Stop X comes after Stop Y. Delighted that the buses weren't crowded, unusually. Arrived with minutes to spare - and to my delight, found I was sitting in the stalls! (It's months since I booked it.) Jeez - have I ever been, here, before? So anyway, it was nice not to have to climb stairs, for once - I was third row from the front, to the side. And when I spied that Meetup organiser (front row centre), I realised that that was the only difference between what I paid and paying twice as much - a side-on view, as opposed to a full-frontal. Gee, big deal. I think mine was much better value.


Now, he's not credited, but I'm damn sure that's a living statue - I had a good, close look, and it's far too detailed to be a sculpture. And if it is a human being, absolute kudos to him for standing so stock still, while the crowd shuffled in and the performance was delayed. He is wheeled off, in darkness, for the show to begin - he doesn't appear again, as part of the story involves this old Confederate statue being beheaded and showing up in the river, in an act of defiance.

You see, the year is 1963, and change is in the air. And also left in the pockets of the family whose laundry the titular Caroline has to do as part of her maid's job. Fantastic era for music - and this musical makes the most of it, bringing out many songs in the catchy style of the times. The first half, in particular, is weird and wacky, as the various household appliances take on a life of their own! (Eat your heart out, Shirley Valentine.) Oh yeah. We have a lady representing the washing machine, bedecked in bubbles - a fellow in red to represent the dryer - and a trio of lassies who give us a number of showstopping tunes, a la the girl groups of the day. They're meant to be the radio that Caroline has on as she works. Oh, and don't forget the moon, who happens by, sat in a suspended chair and dressed in sparkles..

As the story progresses, it becomes more serious - this was an era of momentous happenings, after all. Race disturbances, Kennedy's assassination - it's all seen from the perspective of this small town in Louisiana, and in particular, through the eyes of Caroline, and of the small boy that lives in the house where she works. As things come to a head at the end of 1963, we learn what brought the characters to where they are now, and we speculate on where they might be headed.

O wow, I loved this. As someone remarked at the bus stop after, they hadn't expected it to be THIS good! The musical numbers originated on Broadway, where it won awards and was nominated for many more. The original London production won the Laurence Olivier Award for Best New Musical. You can tell - the music is outstanding, as are the performances. Sharon D. Clarke, in the lead role, gives a powerful solo rendition that, on its own, is worth the price of entry. Personally, I also loved the entertaining Lauren Ward, who plays the rather nervous lady of the house. And from scene to scene, as the musical style effortlessly switched to suit the mood, or the character singing, I had to marvel at the aptness of the musical choices. I was in the majority who just couldn't stay seated during the standing ovation at the end.

Absurdly good, and highly recommended. Runs till the 21st of next month - booking strongly advised, with some performances already sold out and others having limited availability.

The driver of my first bus home seemed to be in a hurry to get finished, zipping along at great speed - which is great, as long as you don't miss your stop! The journey was to be 10 minutes longer than some alternatives, but had the advantage of not having to wait around in the freezing cold wind, on what was a non-predicted bitterly cold night. So, I got off at Baker Street, and schlepped around the corner to wait for my next bus.

Unfortunately, this is the Bermuda Triangle of bus stops, with TFL apparently unable to predict next arrivals - as I hopped, shivering, from one foot to the other, too cold to sit, it was really pot luck which of the buses I could take would come next. Or when any would come at all. (The departures board had given up, and said it could tell us nothing - the most accurate thing it could do.) When a bus finally came, after 15 frozen minutes, it was one I'd have to change from - God bless the Hopper fare, that allows free, unlimited bus transfers within an hour. Getting off at Angel, I could have walked - but why bother, when I could wait for a third bus, which would get me there just as fast (and warmer) and for free..

Tomorrow, Funzing (via Meetup) is throwing up a couple of things I've already done, and several I'm not interested in. The CLOG has an interesting-sounding walk - but frankly, I find  them a bit clingy - not inclined to go again, I don't fancy the constant pressure to join for good! I was thinking of a film, but what came up was Makala, a documentary about a young Congolese charcoal farmer - not that interested. Instead, I'm going - with my £3.60 club - to a play called Glass Roots, in the Tristan Bates Theatre. Early bird discount price is £12..

On Wednesday and Thursday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats; Wednesday is The Great Wave, in the DorfmanOn Thursday, the opening night of Ballet Black, at the Barbican. Sold out now.

On Friday, Funzing - via Walking in London - has The Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk. Hell, the alliteration alone got me interested! Got it for free, what with a combination of my loyalty discount, and the crazy_fun 10% discount code. (They've changed to Lovefun now.)

On Saturday, London European Club organised a trip to a ceilidh for St. Patrick's Day - however, it was subsequently cancelled, for essential ongoing maintenance work on the building. Which, mind you, worked out perfectly for me, as after booking it, I discovered I'm travelling to the company's Silicon Valley office that day, where I'll be for most of the following week. It'll be my first time in California. And when I get back, I'll be turning straight around and flying to Ireland for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment