Wednesday 21 March 2018

Diner: Denny's

Well, Monday night's sleep was great, thank goodness. And I had a good day in the office yesterday. All of which is good, considering what a palaver it was to get dinner..

I stayed late, because the film listings were out and I wanted to do the film list. But hey, there was still plenty of time to eat. Now the nearest place is Spencer's Steakhouse, at the Doubletree, just down the road - someone said that was good, so I said I'd try it out. Felt a little bit scruffy, especially with my work backpack on my back, but what the hey. Asked at the desk, and she said the restaurant was full, but I was welcome to take a seat in the lounge, which is open seating. So I found a table, asked her was this ok - she was showing other people to a table - and she said yes. I made myself comfortable.

Just as well I was comfortable, because that was the last human contact I had. (For about an hour and a half, as it turned out.) Nobody whatsoever bothered with me. I eventually just got up and left. Hate, hate, hate indifferent service - by the way, while I was waiting, I found some quite mediocre reviews of them online, so maybe it was just as well - they might do steak well, but it seems that other options leave something to be desired.

Well, I was now passing the hotel, so I dropped off my backpack. Plan B was the Tandoor House down the road - it's beside the Fairfield Hotel, and again, someone at work had said that had good eating, but I checked and it seems that this consists of the block of restaurants out front. I moseyed in. Nobody about. I quickly identified what I wanted from the menu, and picked up a bottle of water from the (almost-empty) fridge - and stood at the till. Signs around said to "help yourself" and "self service" - but there was nothing to help myself to! (apart from the water). A couple of people were mooching around the kitchen, cooking.. but short of going into the kitchen myself and ladling my dinner from one of the huge pots, there was nothing I could do! After being ignored for a while again, I left again.. honestly, what was it about last night, was I invisible?

Well, now I was in a dilemma. I didn't fancy the other restaurants there, so headed back to the hotel for the WiFi to see where I could go next - there were no more obvious options. Google Maps suggested I try the airport, so I schlepped up in that direction. On the way, I spied Honba Sushi, over to the side - ooh, there was an option, and much closer! I trotted over - but they were closing in 10 minutes (it was nearly 9 by this stage). Blast, if I'd come straight there I'd have been in time..

So, down to the airport - pushing against a strong wind. I was quite bedraggled by the time I got there. A brief exploration confirmed - yep, nothing outside of security. Blast Google Maps. At least I got to go to the toilet while I was there.

Well, now there really was nothing else for it but Denny's, beside my hotel. Despite all the warnings from my co-workers. So, in I went, and was shown to a seat - ordered chicken strips, which come with two sides and "dinner bread", and a hot chocolate. The food came quickly enough, and meantime, I watched the news (silent, with subtitles) on the tv at the side.

I have to say, I really liked the hot chocolate - but I have an extremely sweet tooth, and I think it'd be too sweet for most people. The "dinner bread" turned out to be toasted brioche, which was lovely. The chicken strips.. well, I liked them to begin with, but by the time I was halfway through them, I was finding the taste overpowering, and I only ate three of the four large pieces. The hash browns I ordered - were tasty enough, but came in an unfamiliar format for me; I'm used to getting them shaped into triangles, and what I got was a big, flat mess.. too messy to eat much. The fries were absolutely tasteless, and the dip I ordered with them was a bit watery. I didn't eat most of this - and I'd hesitate about coming back, although I've definitely been in worse places, and I think I could have chosen tastier options. Never mind, I was fed - and finished the evening with a bottle of wine (no, not all of it!) from the food mart next door, which is now chilling happily in my fridge - knew I'd find a use for that.

Didn't blog last night, because I thought I'd have an early meeting today - and then I didn't. Quite intrigued about what I'm doing this evening - on the recommendation of someone else at work, I'm going on a tour of the Winchester Mystery House - the most interesting-sounding of the local attractions. It was built by the Winchester heiress (played by Dame Helen Mirren in a recent film), who reportedly became convinced that malevolent spirits haunted it. Apparently she was told that they'd be kept at bay only if she never ceased construction on the house - so, on it went, reportedly 365 days a year for the next 38 years. (No, she wasn't resident at the time.) Historians, however, dispute the fact that it continued after the 1906 earthquake. Whatever the truth, it sounds a fascinating place - staircases that lead to nowhere, doors and windows that open onto walls. Servants working in the house apparently needed a map to navigate its 500 rooms!

Well, it'll take over an hour to get to - seems there's a free flyer that goes to the Caltrain station (if only I'd known that on Sunday!), then I can get another bus, which stops right outside. I've booked onto the last tour, which starts at 5 - so I'll have to leave early. Imagine my chagrin when someone organised a meeting with me for 4.. I put my foot down, and he moved it earlier. Hopefully, food will go easier tonight.

When I fly back tomorrow, arriving Friday, I'll be turning straight around and flying to Ireland for the weekend. With nothing much on Meetup for Monday, I was thinking of a film - hence the film list, last night: but gee, Makala came top again. Or a film called Raid, whose closest showing is in Shepherds Bush at 10.05pm! So, film not enthusing me - instead, back with Funzing (via London Speaks Sessions), for a "dim sum talk" about "Why the Universe Shouldn't Exist". Should be interesting.

On Tuesday, back with Funzing - a Walking in London tour of Ghosts of the Old City. (Yes, it's different to the last one..) For both of these, got a 10% discount - they alternate between the codes crazy_fun and LoveFun, these days.

Next Wednesday, back at a proper Meetup at last, to the Park Theatre with Up in the Cheap Seats for the opening night of Pressure. Then I'm back to Ireland (yes, again!) for Easter, flying back on the 2nd.

On the 3rd, Meetup is throwing up a couple of things I'd have been interested in - Up in the Cheap Seats is off to the ballet at the Opera House, and North London Friends is off to see a play called Black Men Walking at the Royal Court. And wouldn't you know it, by the time I got around to checking, they were both sold out! Blast. Although it seems there are now seats for the ballet again, starting at £40 - nuts. Anyway, in the meantime, I got the last £15 ticket - from the official website - for Bat Out of Hell, in the Dominion Theatre. Rear stalls - not so shabby. Should be fun.

On the 4th, I'm headed (finally, it's been so long!) to see the Crick Crack Club perform The Gods and Monsters Show at Rich Mix. Now, I don't know what's with the head of their Meetup group, but she seems to think it's on two days later - I did comment on the event page to that effect. Just check the venue website, as I then said. Or indeed, the Crick Crack Club's own website. Daft woman. Not that it wouldn't have suited me to have it on another day - I'd be missing London Literary Walks' first outing of the year, damnit! But it's for a very good cause..

And as I just checked, wouldn't you know it, he subsequently shifted the walk to the 5th! Seems he now works alternating shifts, so dates can change at short notice. Well, this one worked out great for me. Sadly, I'll be missing North London Friends' trip to the Moors Bar Blues Jam and Drinks - well, you can't have everything. I'd never be up to Crouch End in time after the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment