Wednesday 7 March 2018

Ballet British Colombia

Last night, Up in the Cheap Seats was at Sadler's Wells for a performance by Ballet British Colombia. Goodee, this one I could walk to. And, as it happened, Monday's organiser was coming to this as well, on his own.

Another of those late-running meetings, but of course I was in plenty of time, being so close.  Last night's organiser found yet another place to wait that I didn't know existed - I'd forgotten there are seats on a landing, on the way down to the toilets / cloakroom! So, after a scout of the lobby and no sign of her, I happened to look down there, and there she was. She has a habit of being hard to find, this one - just as well I know what she looks like. Anyway, I joined her - and after a bit, we had another couple of our group arrive.

Unfortunately, the talk was - appropriately - mostly about dance, and what's coming up. And I haven't booked much more dance, as of now - so I had little to contribute. It was a relief when the organiser decided it was late enough that we could go to our seats. As I was the only one not sat in the Stalls - Second Circle, as usual, thank you - she decided that the group would meet at the same place, at each of the two intervals. And that I needn't traipse down and up all those stairs, if I didn't want to, but we'd meet outside at the end.

So, I wheezed my way up - chest cold still clinging on for dear life - and all the way up to my row. Spotted the other organiser some rows in front of me, but he seemed to be with a group of friends, so I left him be.


As usual, three pieces in the programme, and no information, in the free flier at least. Online, I discovered that the first piece, 16 + a Room, "is a study of time, transition and stillness". My impression - very large movements, a mixture of movement and stillness. I'm no dance expert, I didn't get anything more from it.

The second piece, Solo Echo, apparently "explores acceptance and loss". Sure enough, there is a lot of pushing away of people, people pulling away themselves, and people falling to the ground. And one arrangement that reminded me of nothing more than a human caterpillar - not a pleasant image, to be honest. And for heaven's sake, it snowed on stage during it - haven't we had enough of that, during the last week?!

The final piece, Bill, as usual, I found more accessible. The performers pulsate to the rhythm of strange and varied musical pieces in a way that I found both made sense and was beautiful to watch. I agreed with the standing ovation at the end of this piece. Anyway, if you fancy checking it out yourself, it's on again tonight. Tickets still available in the lower two levels.

Afterwards, there was a Q+A - and after the pleasure of watching the last piece, I felt like listening. So I got to sit in the Stalls after all. The artistic director took part, along with two of the dancers - although questions were more about the company in general; there were fewer about this specific production. It was broadcast live on Facebook, and questions were taken remotely as well as from those present - you can watch the recording here. Actual Q+A starts at 10:22.

Well, having schlepped up all those stairs, I didn't feel like schlepping down again to see the others at the intervals, which happened between each pair of pieces. And I guess they didn't stay for the Q+A, because I didn't see them outside afterwards either. Fine by me - I headed home via the Co-Op, to pick up something to eat. Later, my time was spent on the film list (which I'm now not using, but them's the breaks) - so it got too late to blog.

Tonight, Let's Do This is off to a jazz evening at Two Temple Place. Beautiful venue - should be a lovely evening.

Tomorrow, Walking Victorian London has a walk around Il Quartiere - Tales from Italian Clerkenwell. Excellent - I've had my eye on that for a while.

On Friday, Helen's in town, so we're headed for lunch, somewhere TBD. In the evening, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On Monday, London Dramatic Arts was going to Caroline, or Change, at Hampstead Theatre. As usual, too expensive for me, and I got my own ticket, at about half the price. She was only going with one unnamed guest, and now doesn't seem to be going at all..

On Tuesday, Funzing (via Meetup) is throwing up a couple of things I've already done, and several I'm not interested in. The CLOG has an interesting-sounding walk - but frankly, I find  them a bit clingy - not inclined to go again, I don't fancy the constant pressure to join for good! I was thinking of a film, but what came up was Makala, a documentary about a young Congolese charcoal farmer - not that interested. Instead, I'm going - with my £3.60 club - to a play called Glass Roots, in the Tristan Bates Theatre. Early bird discount price is £12..

Next Wednesday and on the 15th, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats, Wednesday is the final night of The Great Wave, in the Dorfman. At least I should have more to talk about with that night's group.

On the 15th, the opening night of Ballet Black, at the Barbican. Sold out now.

On the 16th, Funzing - via Walking in London - has The Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk. Hell, the alliteration alone got me interested! Got it for free, what with a combination of my loyalty discount, and the crazy_fun 10% discount code. (They've changed to Lovefun now.)

On the 17th, London European Club organised a trip to a ceilidh for St. Patrick's Day - however, it was subsequently cancelled, for essential ongoing maintenance work on the building. Which, mind you, worked out perfectly for me, as after booking it, I discovered I'm travelling to the company's Silicon Valley office that day, where I'll be for most of the following week. It'll be my first time in California. And when I get back, I'll be turning straight around and flying to Ireland for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment