Thursday 15 March 2018

Ballet Black

Tonight was the opening night of Ballet Black, at the Barbican, so I could walk, yay. Sold out a while back. Accompanying Up in the Cheap Seats again.

A minor digression, first.. I often like to listen to white noise while I'm working. I usually choose vacuum cleaner sound on YouTube. But you know, listen to anything for long enough and you'll want a change - today, I decided to look for whispering sounds. Lo and behold, it's a whole industry; I hadn't realised! ASMR, they call it, and there are all sorts - I like soft reading myself, preferably involving page-turning. Anyway, that's what I was listening to when I should have been heading out. Never mind, I was only a few minutes later than intended, and we all met in the basement of the Barbican. Well, four of us out of six.. which breaks down, as a fraction, to two out of three.. which, as the man said, "ain't bad"..

I'm so glad it ain't as far to the Upper Circle here as in Sadler's Wells - two floors isn't much at all. And then down again, to my favourite "prow of the ship" seat, all on my own at the front. In this seat, you might have the inconvenience of a safety rail in your line of sight, but you're lower, and further forward, than anyone else at that level! You have plenty of space, and the rail isn't all that much of an inconvenience. Plus, there's no-one on front of you:



So, this performance comprises two pieces, one interval between. Before the interval comes an unnamed piece, for which the age restriction had to be raised - the theme is a wife caught cheating, and it is apparently based on a South African fable called The Suit. As I remarked at the interval, I don't know how long it's been since I saw a dance piece I could figure out so easily - with a story that has a beginning, middle and end! Complain about it being story-heavy, if you will - I found it refreshing, and beautifully portrayed.

After the interval, A Dream Within a Midsummer Night's Dream is a riotous, and hilarious, take on the Shakespearian play, with Puck dressed as a scout leader, and all sorts of shenanigans going on. Salvador Dali even makes an appearance, shuffling across the stage! Quite appropriate, under the circumstances. The soundtrack, mostly popular pieces, is aptly chosen - and bookended with a piece of classical music that I absolutely love (representing normalcy, I guess). My only quibble - I didn't think the actual dancing was great in the classical sections. Never mind, the piece as a whole was memorable, and well deserved its standing ovation! No wonder it was sold out. A few tickets remaining for the other performances - ends on Saturday, and is well worth a look.

On the way back along Beech Street, we found it to be blocked to traffic - and we walked through a major installation, part of their open weekend! Pity I won't be here. TomorrowFunzing - via Walking in London - has The Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk. Hell, the alliteration alone got me interested! Got it for free, what with a combination of my loyalty discount, and the crazy_fun 10% discount code.

On Saturday, London European Club organised a trip to a ceilidh for St. Patrick's Day - however, it was subsequently cancelled, for essential ongoing maintenance work on the building. Which, mind you, worked out perfectly for me, as after booking it, I discovered I'm travelling to the company's Silicon Valley office that day, where I'll be for most of next week. It'll be my first time in California. And when I get back, I'll be turning straight around and flying to Ireland for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment