Friday 15 December 2017

Nürnberg Christmas Market - Day III (Bamberg)

Our organiser was up and about again for our trip to Bamberg. Sadly, he never made it past the lobby.. he advised us on what to see, then headed back to bed to recuperate. Never mind, we managed to get ourselves there - despite some confusion over which bit of the train was going there! (both, as it transpired).

Traces of snow remained there, but pavements were gritted, and off we set into town. With the others heading in one direction, Helen and I got distracted by another - and that was the last we saw of them in Bamberg.


As usual, (lots) more photos here.

After a while, we got quite hungry - must have been the cold. Anyway, we headed for Restaurant Café Zeis, which looked attractive. We had just beaten the lunchtime rush, and were seated on the ground floor - more seats upstairs. Friendly staff, quirky decor - I ordered hot chocolate with cream, which turned out a bit too creamy, so for the second round I had it without. My schnitzel was good, though. Recommended.

And this set us up well for an afternoon of sightseeing, in this UNESCO World Heritage Centre:

 

When we'd had enough of going around, we headed back to Nürnberg, and chilled for a bit. Unfortunately, there was a breakdown of communication - the others, who'd stayed a bit later in Bamberg, went straight to the restaurant we'd booked for that evening, rather than gathering in the hotel, as we'd thought they would. And the organiser had gone on ahead, to meet his family there. So we two ended up being the last to arrive, which wasn't terribly pleasant. At least we got our order in before the food started to arrive!

The Heilig Geist Spital is a really historic restaurant, starting life as a hospital in the 14th century. It's actually suspended over the river.. had we had a window seat, we'd have had a great view! Lovely, traditional Bavarian decor abounds - and the costumes are traditional, too.





















The menu leans heavily towards game - and I ended up having hare, which, to be honest, I wasn't mad about: but I'm not used to it, and game is an acquired taste. Portions are pretty massive here.. but after barrelling our way through starters and mains, we still found room for dessert. And how excellent that they serve the chocolate sauce separately from the ice cream - if only everyone did it that way!

Afterwards, the organiser's family rather sweetly bade farewell to us, individually - his mother had some English, but not apparently his father. Our organiser, I guess, returned to bed - most of the group decided to walk off the calorie intake with a trek up to the castle. Helen and I had been up there the day before, of course, so we headed back to the Christmas market - and, of course, a nightcap of glühwein. And so to bed, ready to head to Regensburg next day - and packed to leave for London thereafter! Of which, more to follow.

That trip to Germany took up the weekend.  And wouldn't you know it, our flight back on Sunday night was cancelled - there'd been a snowstorm in Stansted. Fully two days later was the first flight we could get back there - so I missed a couple of things I'd booked; on Monday - having taken the day off work - I was booked for the Barbershop Chronicles. At the National. And on Tuesday, I booked a Funzing talk - Interviews With a Serial Killer, courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night. For which, with their new loyalty scheme, I earned £10 credit! Not so shabby.. But it wasn't very Christmassy, all the same, and I subsequently booked an evening at Keats House, with London Social Detours. Where they explored Christmas in the Romantic era - ahh! Sadly, neither was now possible.

Back at last, and on Wednesday, my last visit of the year to Sands Films - finally advertised on Meetup, through the World Music MeetupTunedIn London had a concert by Plastikes Karekles, a Greek group. The friend I've been persuading to go to the Crick Crack events had suggested that night for a nostalgic trip, by some of us, to Top Secret - I would rather do that, but unfortunately he couldn't get anyone else to agree, so we postponed the idea.

Last night, my friends who came to Soho a while ago were headed to Wilton's Music Hall, for something called The Box of Delights. And for once, I let them decide for me, and went myself too.

Tonight, my final trip of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Jan Blake was performing Masters of Hex at the British Library. Along with Ben Haggerty and TUUP. Same friend going with me as did on the 29th, and Helen too - and the same lunatic. Who would probably avoid us, and good enough for her. Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for Christmas - wish me luck in packing!

Flying back to London on the 2nd of January, and on the 3rd I've booked to see Stewart Lee at Leicester Square Theatre. Determinedly not in the front two rows - not for a comedy show!

On the 4th of January, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (Happy New Year to them!), who are off to see Hanna, at the Arcola.

On the 5th of January, I thought Time Out threw me a curiously interesting event - so I'm going on this Space Descent VR experience, at the Science Museum. I'll have to leave work early for it - there are timed slots, and it consists of wearing goggles, and living the experience of a descent to earth, with the astronaut Tim Peake narrating in your ears.

On the 6th of January, Crick Crack is back! Happy New Year to them too. The story of When Time Began is being told at King's Place. Creation myths. And wouldn't you know it, we're being treated to a host of performers - the husband and wife team, Emily and Nick Hennessy, and co-founder of the club, the amazing Ben Haggerty. Accompaniment provided by the wonderful musician, Sheema Mukherjee.

On the 7th of January, another Happy new Year - this time to Let's Do This, who are off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that's hosting, I wouldn't bother..

And finally, more art on the 8th of January, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites, which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment