Tuesday 5 December 2017

Circus: La Soirée

Tonight, my annual trip to La Soirée! "Posh new venue", as they say - they're now in the Aldwych Theatre. Cheapest tickets at Amazon tickets - you save on the booking fee. I see they now have a family-friendly version - La Petite Soirée! Anyway, I was thrilled to be seeing this again - and wouldn't you know it, Up in the Cheap Seats today advertised a trip to see it next month! I passed - I'm doing something that night anyway. But it turns out that the organiser of that outing goes every year, just like me. Well, great minds..

So, down I schlepped - another 8pm start, so plenty of time. Boy, Drury Lane takes forever to walk down though - you forget how long it is. Finally, there was the theatre, at the end, on the right. Circus music playing in the lobby when we went in - and how Christmassy it is!


I went to collect my ticket - and wouldn't you know, I'd been upgraded again! Yet another good reason to buy the cheap tickets - if it's not especially busy, they close the upper levels. I found myself - tan-ta-ra! in the stalls! And they gave me a wristband - an usher helped me to put it on. Mine was green - I also noticed red ones, which turned out to be for the folding seats that had replaced the theatre-style seats in the front stalls - green was for the remaining theatre seats at the back.


In my book, I got the better of it - the view was perfect, apart from the bits that happen close to the stage, for which you'd need to be ringside anyway. And you have less chance of being hit by flying bits of banana - if you don't know, don't ask! Besides, I've done the close-to-the-stage thing. Anyway, I have to say, they managed to retain that big-top atmosphere, even in this most ornate theatre. Now, the posher the seat you get, the more you get interacted with - so you'd better be prepared for it. Where I was sitting, we got flashed. Multiple times, at close quarters. People closer to the stage are liable to be pulled onstage - and interfered with. Or play a small part in the show. The most expensive seats are onstage, at cafe-style tables. Where the audience is looking your way all the time - even when you're not playing an integral part in the show! That happens a lot - they do want you to get your money's worth. A young couple beside me actually got pulled to ringside - obviously there was space, and he figured they looked like they'd play along!

Some old favourites. Apart from the pair with the bananas, we had Amy G, who does have a spectacular voice, quite apart from all the clowning around. But oh, such spectacular new arrivals! Highlights include Cabaret Décadanse, with an incredible puppet act; they hail from Montréal, practically the home of circus these days. And were followed by a truly jaw-dropping (I'm running out of adjectives..) duo from Mumbai, who wriggled up and down a wooden pole in ways that looked positively painful. (Apparently, mallakhamb is actually a sport!} There was one aerialist, contorting on a hoop, whose costume made her look as though she was naked, with liquid gold running down her body..

Spectacular, and frequently hilarious stuff - and throughout, the most fantastic, rock soundtrack. I want to scream from the rooftops how good this show is! Go see, go see. Runs until the 3rd of February - apparently, at the moment, tickets are available from £10 in the Get Into London Theatre New Year Sale. They gave out free programmes as we were leaving - and in them is a flier, with a discount code giving £5 off weekday shows (not Grand Circle or Posh tickets), not from next week till the end of the month. TELLURFRIEND. Worth a try.

Tomorrow sees our office Christmas party! Mercifully, I found out it's not black tie this year - didn't have to buy a new outfit, then! It's at Bounce - a pub with ping pong tables, wouldya believe?! We have a private room, with three such tables and a karaoke machine. I foresee a noisy night..!

I can't stay long though - have to be at Stansted at 6 on Thursday morning, for a trip to Nuremberg Christmas market with London European Club! We'll also be doing some travelling in the area. Helen liked the sound of it, and is coming too: sadly, not my Crick Crack friend, who can't swing the holiday time. We'll have a ball though! I just bought Lonely Planet's chapter on Bavaria, downloaded it, and have shared it with her - isn't it handy how you can buy individual chapters? Mercifully, although the crazy woman was supposed to go on this, she's pulled out. So, the plan is to stay in the new place, tomorrow night..

Back late on Sunday, and on Monday - having taken the day off work (I'll be exhausted) - I'm off to the Barbershop Chronicles. At the National. Mind you, I've suggested this as an alternative for Mary - we'll see.

Next Tuesday, I booked a Funzing talk - Interviews With a Serial Killer, courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night. For which, with their new loyalty scheme, I earned £10 credit! Not so shabby.. But it's not very Christmassy, all the same, and I subsequently booked an evening at Keats House, with London Social Detours. Where we'll be exploring Christmas in the Romantic era - ahh!

On the 13th, my last visit of the year to Sands Films - finally advertised on Meetup, through the World Music MeetupTunedIn London has a concert by Plastikes Karekles, a Greek group. However, the friend I've been persuading to go to the Crick Crack events has suggested that night for a nostalgic trip, by some of us, to Top Secret - I would rather do that, so we'll see whether we can get it together!

On the 14th, my friends who came to Soho a while ago are headed to Wilton's Music Hall, for something called The Box of Delights. And for once, I'm letting them decide for me, and am going myself too.

On the 15th, my final trip of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Jan Blake is performing Masters of Hex at the British Library. Along with Ben Haggerty and TUUP. Same friend going with me as on the 29th, and Helen too - and the same lunatic. Who will probably avoid us, and good enough for her. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Christmas.

Flying back to London on the 2nd of January, and on the 3rd I've booked to see Stewart Lee at Leicester Square Theatre. Determinedly not in the front two rows - not for a comedy show!

On the 4th of January, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (Happy New Year to them!), who are off to see Hanna, at the Arcola.

On the 5th of January, I thought Time Out threw me a curiously interesting event - so I'm going on this Space Descent VR experience, at the Science Museum. I'll have to leave work early for it - there are timed slots, and it consists of wearing goggles, and living the experience of a descent to earth, with the astronaut Tim Peake narrating in your ears.

On the 6th of January, Crick Crack is back! Happy New Year to them too. The story of When Time Began is being told at King's Place. Creation myths. And wouldn't you know it, we're being treated to a host of performers - the husband and wife team, Emily and Nick Hennessy, and co-founder of the club, the amazing Ben Haggerty. Accompaniment provided by the wonderful musician, Sheema Mukherjee.

On the 7th of January, another Happy new Year - this time to Let's Do This, who are off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that's hosting, I wouldn't bother..

And finally, more art on the 8th of January, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites, which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment