Monday 13 November 2017

Storytelling: Under the Eyes of Baron Samedi

Back to London.. and a hectic day beckoned, with two trips to estate agents to pore over their lists. Well, as it happened, both were part of the same company.. on separate floors.. for goodness' sake, I've since come across three more operating out of the same address! It's not until I arrange a meeting with them and get an address that I realise. In fact, I'd just booked a double viewing for tomorrow before realising - yep, same address. I am NOT going into that office again. Just have to write a list of people to avoid.. It was under an hour after I'd booked it that he got back to me with the address, so I now have to wait a respectable time before cancelling. Must do it by the time I'd arranged..

Also a busy day for Helen, who was in town for an interview - good luck with the news from that! We were to meet for a bite after (somewhere) - unfortunately, my manager decided to reschedule our 1-1 meeting to this evening, and I only found out when I got back today. So that cut into my time with Helen somewhat! Still, with time till I needed to be elsewhere, we wandered through Soho, happening across a Nando's, which suited just fine. I even managed to find my loyalty card. And had my usual - although there is a kick even to the mild sauce, and when it pooled in the middle of my chicken.. well, I got a few eye-watering mouthfuls. What the hey, it was delish, as usual, and I hadn't realised how very hungry I was. Exhausted, too.. flat hunting does take it out of you. Sadly, I didn't have time for a dessert - they do have the most decadent chocolate (choc-a-lot) cake too! Next time, perhaps..

After seeing her off, I headed to the Crick Crack Club at Soho Theatre for an evening called Under the Eyes of Baron Samedi, courtesy of Jan Blake. It was too late for her, sadly. Delighted to say I persuaded a couple of other friends to come along! and I spotted them as I passed, heading to the entrance - the bar wasn't as crazy as usual, and they'd bagged a seat by the window. Having picked up my ticket, I joined them, and we chatted - slightly hurriedly - until people started to mosey upstairs. And we joined them - rather breathless by the time we got to the top, we were greeted at the door by Nell Phoenix, who, unusually, was mc-ing tonight; she reassured us with the line "You didn't think we'd start without you!" Inside, I persuaded them to the front row. ;-)

A chair for Jan - to the side, a table with a weird assortment of items on it. Turned out to be for her accompanist, Silver Sepp, who apparently flew all the way from Estonia for the occasion! I have to say, his was a truly eclectic collection of instruments - some mundane (plastic basins and a very long plank), and some downright weird (a gas cylinder with bits cut out of it, and a rather perplexing bit of wood with nails stuck in it). It was fascinating to watch him as he decided, on the spot, how to play them - he really must have a unique take on music. Experimenting as he went along, he tapped, he stroked, he patted, he played with the basins in different positions - for that bit of wood with the nails in, he took a couple of bows such as others might use for a violin, and sawed at them.

And throughout, his instincts led to the most haunting music, and a wonderful foil to Jan's storytelling. She was at pains, first off, to tell us that there was a difference between Voodoo, which is a religion, and magic - and she was talking about magic tonight, contrary to what the advertising might have led us to believe. And she was soon off, weaving for us magical tales of Haiti, even getting us involved in a singalong.

During the short interval, I accompanied the guys downstairs - where they thought about getting hot chocolates, which they'd had when they arrived, and which they proclaimed excellent (I must try some)! Until I reminded them that they'd have to bring their drinks in plastic, which they figured would melt - wine it was, then, and we were just upstairs in time. Pity the poor souls who returned quite late, and had to dash across the stage to their seats, accompanied by well-aimed jibes from Jan!

The second half was darker, as she'd promised, with zombies and loup garous. And through it all, the scene was set by this eerie music, and we could believe ourselves in a land where magic reigned. Memorable. And my friends? Proclaimed it weird, proclaimed it different, agreed that it was hard to describe - and really enjoyed it. Just a pity we'll miss the next one here, but I have persuaded one of them to come to a couple more.

Tomorrow, Up in the Cheap Seats again, and we're off to The Secondary Victim, at the Park Theatre. After I dash away from an evening viewing that I really hope works out - the location is excellent, the photos are encouraging, and the timeframe is decent - I wouldn't have to move in until the end of the month, thus saving having to pay even more double rent, but I'd still have a decent amount of time to move in.

On Wednesday, I'm finally back with The London Jazz Meetup, to see Ben l' Oncle Soul at Cadogan Hall. Really, I'd go with them much more often, but there's so much else on..! We're meeting beforehand at The Antelope - I really hope I can get my flat hunting sorted tomorrow, so I can skip the evening viewing I've scheduled for that day!

On Thursday, I'm back at Sadler's Wells with Up in the Cheap Seats, for Hunted Maud Le Pladec / Okwui Okpokwasili.

On Friday, I'm off to see Young Frankenstein, at the Garrick!

The weekend is Funzing, with Walking in London. On Saturday, A Secret London Tour - I've had my eye on this for a while, it sounds interesting. And on Sunday, I'm finally doing Murder Mile Walk.

Next Monday, I was off to This Beautiful Future, at the Yard Theatre. And then it turned out that a couple of guys from the North American training team in our company are visiting the office for a couple of days! Team dinner that night. Well hey, I wasn't that pushed about the play anyway.

On the 21st, my annual pilgrimage to Cirque Berserk at Winter Wonderland! Whee..

On the 22nd, back with Walking in London, this time with Katie of Look Up London, and her Alternative Christmas Lights Tour. Delighted to give her the business, and it should be fun!

On the 23rd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time at the newly opened Bridge Theatre, for their first show, Young Marx. Delighted to make this - I had booked it for the 20th October, then the Crick Crack Club got in the way, as they often do! The theatre charged me a nominal fee to change it to this date. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 27th, I'm headed to see Follies at the National - one that London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) went to a while ago, expensively. What with their ticket prices, and other things getting in the way, I really don't know when I'll be with them again..

On the 28th, back with Let's Do This! (LDT) at a place called The Fiddler's Elbow, for a Blues Club & Jam. Be good to see them again!

On the 29th, the Crick Crack Club has their long-awaited 30th birthday party at Rich Mix. Finally advertised by their Meetup group, I see, months after tickets went on sale. A friend is going to this, and Helen is thinking about it. Oh, and the crazy lady is supposed to be going - may she not dare to cross my path! I'm perfectly capable of throwing a drink over her. If the need arises.

On the 30th, LDT is off to.. Saint George and the Dragon, at the National! Now, when this was advertised, I remembered having booked it already. Checked, and discovered that was during my week in Stockholm - so I was happy to book it again. Completely forgot, of course, that I was already booked for this week, with Up in the Cheap Seats. But then, of course, I couldn't go to that either.. third time lucky, I hope! Mind you, consensus seems to be that it drags - never mind. Then I'm back to Ireland again.

On the 4th of December, I'm finally seeing Heisenberg: the Uncertainty Principle, at Wyndham's Theatre. Another that LDAM saw before I have, and another I rescheduled - this from the 16th October, when I was with Up in the Cheap Seats. Another nominal fee to change. And they posted me physical tickets - how retro!

On the 5th of December, my annual trip to La SoirĂ©e! "Posh new venue", as they say - they're now in the Aldwych Theatre. Cheapest tickets at Amazon tickets.

The 6th of December sees our office Christmas party! Mercifully, I've just found out it's not black tie this year - don't have to buy a new outfit, then! It's at Bounce - a pub with ping pong tables, wouldya believe?! We have a private room, with three such tables and a karaoke machine. I foresee a noisy night..!

I can't stay long though - have to be at Stansted at 6 in the morning of the 7th of December, for a trip to Nuremberg Christmas market with LEC! We'll also be doing some travelling in the area. Helen liked the sound of it, and my other friend who's coming to the storytelling is coming too. We'll have a ball! I just bought Lonely Planet's chapter on Bavaria, downloaded it, and have shared it with them - isn't it handy how you can buy individual chapters? Mercifully, although the crazy woman was supposed to go on this, she's pulled out. Be handy if I had a flat near Liverpool Street by then.. that's where you catch the Stansted Express! Here's hoping that works out - there seem to be loads of places, and it wouldn't be hard to get better than what I have now, and within walking distance of the new office. Possibly for less money, even!

Back late on the 10th of December, and on the 11th of December - having taken the day off work (I'll be exhausted) - I'm off to the Barbershop Chronicles. At the National.

On the 12th of December, I've just booked a Funzing talk - Interviews With a Serial Killer, courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night. For which, with their new loyalty scheme, I earned £10 credit! Not so shabby..

On the 13th of December, my last visit of the year to Sands Films - finally advertised on Meetup, through the World Music MeetupTunedIn London has a concert by Plastikes Karekles, a Greek group.

On the 14th of December, my friends who came to Soho tonight are headed to Wilton's Music Hall, for something called The Box of Delights. And for once, I'm letting them decide for me, and am going myself too.

And on the 15th of December, my final trip of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Jan Blake is performing Masters of Hex at the British Library. Along with Ben Haggerty and TUUP. Same friend going with me as on the 29th of November, and Helen too - and the same lunatic. Well, after the nasty things she had to say about me, I'll be surprised if she dares to approach me at all.

Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Christmas. Farewell 2017 - it's been good! Roll on 2018, and the next U2 tour..

No comments:

Post a Comment