Monday 27 November 2017

Musical: Follies

Today, I was headed to see Follies at the National - one that London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) went to a while ago, expensively. What with their ticket prices, and other things getting in the way, I really don't know when I'll be with them again. Mind you, it's not like the ticket I eventually got was cheap - but it was at least under £50.

Walking distance from the office - but I got caught up with a small drama at work, and there was a deadline, and I was slightly delayed in leaving. So, rather than be tight for time by walking, I took the Tube. On which I split my time between reading about the Royal Engagement in the paper, and eavesdropping on conversations about it around me! Stupidly though, I stayed on until Waterloo, whereas I'd  have been quicker getting off at Embankment and walking across the bridge.

So I had the usual panic at the theatre - took the lift up, dashed for the ticket office and gave my name. Wouldn't you know it, they'd only just printed out that very ticket, and the lady had it in her hands! Since we were now on the dot of start time, they didn't bother asking me for id. A helpful usher directed me to the Circle, where the guy on the door reassured me that I'd made it in time! Only just.. and with a central seat, I had a half a row of people to disturb on my way in. Ah well, I was seated by the time they started - probably five minutes late, as usual.

This is real, old-time razzmatazz! The story revolves around a reunion party, 30 years after the final performance of the Weismann Follies. The central set frequently revolves to show us front, and back of stage - the story is, the theatre is about to be demolished, and the set is scruffy enough to match that idea, with tattered seats and piles of junk scattered about. Wonderfully elegant ladies glide around in old-fashioned costumes, as the older people arrive to reminisce. It duly becomes apparent that the ladies in old-time costume are the former selves of some of the older characters, as they hover in the background whenever their older selves take the stage.

There is a plot - but that's not why we're really there. The joy of this show is in the musical numbers, wonderfully composed by Stephen Sondheim, and delivered in belting performances by Imelda Staunton, among others. One of the absolute highlights was the duet of the oldest performer alongside her "younger self" - not sure who they were. Stunning! And the production.. an American-sounding woman coming down the stairs behind me said it as well as I can: she just exclaimed to her companion, "The singing! The costumes! The sets!" Yes, all of the above. In fact, it really takes off towards the end, when they just concentrate on straightforward musical numbers.

Definitely one of the best shows in town at the moment, it makes you nostalgic for that style of theatre. Runs until the 3rd of January - now sold out, apart from day tickets, returns, and Friday rushes. Seriously, do whatever you can to get a ticket - it's phenomenal.. Standing ovation at the end was well deserved.

And back through more sparkly lights:



Tomorrow, back with Let's Do This! (LDT) at a place called The Fiddler's Elbow, for a Blues Club & Jam. Be good to see them again!

On Wednesday, the Crick Crack Club has their long-awaited 30th birthday party at Rich Mix. Finally advertised by their Meetup group, I see, months after tickets went on sale. A friend is going to this, and Helen is thinking about it. Oh, and the crazy lady is supposed to be going - may she not dare to cross my path! I'm perfectly capable of throwing a drink over her. If the need arises.

On Thursday, LDT is off to.. Saint George and the Dragon, at the National! Now, when this was advertised, I remembered having booked it already. Checked, and discovered that was during my week in Stockholm - so I was happy to book it again. Completely forgot, of course, that I was already booked for another date, with Up in the Cheap Seats. But then, of course, I couldn't go to that either.. third time lucky, I hope! Mind you, consensus seems to be that it drags - never mind. Then I'm back to Ireland again.

On the 4th, I'm finally seeing Heisenberg: the Uncertainty Principle, at Wyndham's Theatre. Another that LDAM saw before I have, and another I rescheduled - this from the 16th October, when I was with Up in the Cheap Seats. Another nominal fee to change. And they posted me physical tickets - how retro!

On the 5th, my annual trip to La Soirée! "Posh new venue", as they say - they're now in the Aldwych Theatre. Cheapest tickets at Amazon tickets - you save on the booking fee. I see they're another one to have a family-friendly version - La Petite Soirée!

The 6th sees our office Christmas party! Mercifully, I've just found out it's not black tie this year - don't have to buy a new outfit, then! It's at Bounce - a pub with ping pong tables, wouldya believe?! We have a private room, with three such tables and a karaoke machine. I foresee a noisy night..!

I can't stay long though - have to be at Stansted at 6 in the morning of the 7th, for a trip to Nuremberg Christmas market with London European Club! We'll also be doing some travelling in the area. Helen liked the sound of it, and is coming too. We'll have a ball! I just bought Lonely Planet's chapter on Bavaria, downloaded it, and have shared it with her - isn't it handy how you can buy individual chapters? Mercifully, although the crazy woman was supposed to go on this, she's pulled out. So, the plan is to stay in the new place, the night before..

Back late on the 10th, and on the 11th - having taken the day off work (I'll be exhausted) - I'm off to the Barbershop Chronicles. At the National.

On the 12th, I've just booked a Funzing talk - Interviews With a Serial Killer, courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night. For which, with their new loyalty scheme, I earned £10 credit! Not so shabby..

On the 13th, my last visit of the year to Sands Films - finally advertised on Meetup, through the World Music MeetupTunedIn London has a concert by Plastikes Karekles, a Greek group.

On the 14th, my friends who came to Soho a while ago are headed to Wilton's Music Hall, for something called The Box of Delights. And for once, I'm letting them decide for me, and am going myself too.

On the 15th, my final trip of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Jan Blake is performing Masters of Hex at the British Library. Along with Ben Haggerty and TUUP. Same friend going with me as on the 29th, and Helen too - and the same lunatic. Well, after the nasty things she had to say about me, I'll be surprised if she dares to approach me at all. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Christmas.

Flying back to London on the 2nd of January, and on the 3rd I've booked to see Stewart Lee at Leicester Square Theatre. Determinedly not in the front two rows - not for a comedy show!

On the 4th of January, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (Happy New Year to them!), who are off to see Hanna, at the Arcola.

On the 5th of January, I thought Time Out threw me a curiously interesting event - so I'm going on this Space Descent VR experience, at the Science Museum. I'll have to leave work early for it - there are timed slots, and it consists of wearing goggles, and living the experience of a descent to earth, with the astronaut Tim Peake narrating in your ears.

On the 6th of January, Crick Crack is back! Happy New Year to them too. The story of When Time Began is being told at King's Place. Creation myths. And wouldn't you know it, we're being treated to a host of performers - the husband and wife team, Emily and Nick Hennessy, and co-founder of the club, the amazing Ben Haggerty. Accompaniment provided by the wonderful musician, Sheema Mukherjee.

On the 7th of January, another Happy new Year - this time to LDT, who are off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that's hosting, I wouldn't bother..

And finally, more art on the 8th of January, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites, which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment