Sunday 19 November 2017

Murder Mile Walk

Today, I finally did the Murder Mile Walk, as advertised by Walking in London. Early start - but I was exhausted last night and got to bed early, so had no trouble getting up early today. Even had breakfast, and still made it in plenty of time! Mind you, it was a lot closer than yesterday's - Exit 1 of Tottenham Court Road Tube. Of course, it has multiple exits - but they were kind enough to put up photos and as many directions as possible, so we were in no doubt. Sensibly, it's the one with a big expanse of pavement in front of it.

As it happened, I was first there - caught sight of him as he was unfurling his Murder Mile flag (he puts it away for the walk itself). Seems this is a big hobby of his, which has grown into a business - he also has a podcast, which he shamelessly plugged throughout the walk. :-) He's obviously passionate about it, which came through over the next two hours. Eleven of us in today's group - two arrived panting, just as he was about to begin, and were lucky.. this guy doesn't tolerate lateness, as he'd warned us in the booking receipt. We would be leaving promptly. Loads of those present were nodding agreement - I kept schtum. Well, shit happens, y'know? Mind you, I think his objection is to people that don't message him - he did mention that sometimes they message him, and that he appreciates that. Fair enough - I wouldn't hang around all day without word, either!

It was viciously cold. I had added more layers than I thought I might need, but was grateful for every one. As we started, someone remarked at the crowd gathering at the Dominion Theatre - seems they have church services on Sundays! Well, that was as respectable as the tour got..! Much of it focused on Dennis Nilsen, who worked for an unemployment exchange on Denmark Street and in the end, couldn't remember how many young men he'd killed! So, we passed the site of that - and of some of his murders. The tour finished at his local, the Golden Lion, where he picked up victims - and yes, we had to pose for a picture, then an animation; he uses them on his website!

Anyway, although there was one fan of mass murderers on the tour, for me, the principal attraction was to wander the backstreets of Soho:



And I just had to laugh at one of the murder locations, which seemed made for it!


A more enthusiastic guide cannot be found.. if tales of gruesome deeds float your boat, do check this out! Through Funzing, for the discounts and the free cancellation, up to 48 hours in advance. Runs at weekends.

Tomorrow, I was off to This Beautiful Future, at the Yard Theatre. And then it turned out that a couple of guys from the North American training team in our company are visiting the office for a couple of days! Team dinner that night. Well hey, I wasn't that pushed about the play anyway. Not everything I book for is a must-see.

On Tuesday, my annual pilgrimage to Cirque Berserk at Winter Wonderland! Whee..

On Wednesday, back with Walking in London, this time with Katie of Look Up London, and her Alternative Christmas Lights Tour. Delighted to give her the business, and it should be fun!

On Thursday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time at the newly opened Bridge Theatre, for their first show, Young Marx. Delighted to make this - I had booked it for the 20th October, then the Crick Crack Club got in the way, as they often do! The theatre charged me a nominal fee to change it to this date. So this'll now be the first play I'll have gone to in a while! And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 27th, I'm headed to see Follies at the National - one that London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) went to a while ago, expensively. What with their ticket prices, and other things getting in the way, I really don't know when I'll be with them again..

On the 28th, back with Let's Do This! (LDT) at a place called The Fiddler's Elbow, for a Blues Club & Jam. Be good to see them again!

On the 29th, the Crick Crack Club has their long-awaited 30th birthday party at Rich Mix. Finally advertised by their Meetup group, I see, months after tickets went on sale. A friend is going to this, and Helen is thinking about it. Oh, and the crazy lady is supposed to be going - may she not dare to cross my path! I'm perfectly capable of throwing a drink over her. If the need arises.

On the 30th, LDT is off to.. Saint George and the Dragon, at the National! Now, when this was advertised, I remembered having booked it already. Checked, and discovered that was during my week in Stockholm - so I was happy to book it again. Completely forgot, of course, that I was already booked for last week, with Up in the Cheap Seats. But then, of course, I couldn't go to that either.. third time lucky, I hope! Mind you, consensus seems to be that it drags - never mind. Then I'm back to Ireland again.

On the 4th, I'm finally seeing Heisenberg: the Uncertainty Principle, at Wyndham's Theatre. Another that LDAM saw before I have, and another I rescheduled - this from the 16th October, when I was with Up in the Cheap Seats. Another nominal fee to change. And they posted me physical tickets - how retro!

On the 5th, my annual trip to La Soirée! "Posh new venue", as they say - they're now in the Aldwych Theatre. Cheapest tickets at Amazon tickets - you save on the booking fee.

The 6th sees our office Christmas party! Mercifully, I've just found out it's not black tie this year - don't have to buy a new outfit, then! It's at Bounce - a pub with ping pong tables, wouldya believe?! We have a private room, with three such tables and a karaoke machine. I foresee a noisy night..!

I can't stay long though - have to be at Stansted at 6 in the morning of the 7th, for a trip to Nuremberg Christmas market with London European Club! We'll also be doing some travelling in the area. Helen liked the sound of it, and my other friend who's coming to the storytelling is coming too. We'll have a ball! I just bought Lonely Planet's chapter on Bavaria, downloaded it, and have shared it with them - isn't it handy how you can buy individual chapters? Mercifully, although the crazy woman was supposed to go on this, she's pulled out. So, the plan is to stay in the new place, the night before..

Back late on the 10th, and on the 11th - having taken the day off work (I'll be exhausted) - I'm off to the Barbershop Chronicles. At the National.

On the 12th, I've just booked a Funzing talk - Interviews With a Serial Killer, courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night. For which, with their new loyalty scheme, I earned £10 credit! Not so shabby..

On the 13th, my last visit of the year to Sands Films - finally advertised on Meetup, through the World Music MeetupTunedIn London has a concert by Plastikes Karekles, a Greek group.

On the 14th, my friends who came to Soho on Monday are headed to Wilton's Music Hall, for something called The Box of Delights. And for once, I'm letting them decide for me, and am going myself too.

On the 15th, my final trip of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Jan Blake is performing Masters of Hex at the British Library. Along with Ben Haggerty and TUUP. Same friend going with me as on the 29th, and Helen too - and the same lunatic. Well, after the nasty things she had to say about me, I'll be surprised if she dares to approach me at all. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Christmas.

Flying back to London on the 2nd of January, and on the 3rd I've booked to see Stewart Lee at Leicester Square Theatre. Determinedly not in the front two rows - not for a comedy show!

On the 4th of January, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (Happy New Year to them!), who are off to see Hanna, at the Arcola.

On the 5th of January, I thought Time Out threw me a curiously interesting event - so I'm going on this Space Descent VR experience, at the Science Museum. I'll have to leave work early for it - there are timed slots, and it consists of wearing goggles, and living the experience of a descent to earth, with the astronaut Tim Peake narrating in your ears.

On the 6th of January, Crick Crack is back! Happy New Year to them too. The story of When Time Began is being told at King's Place. Creation myths. And wouldn't you know it, we're being treated to a host of performers - the husband and wife team, Emily and Nick Hennessy, and co-founder of the club, the amazing Ben Haggerty. Accompaniment provided by the wonderful musician, Sheema Mukherjee.

On the 7th of January, another Happy new Year - this time to LDT, who are off to an art exhibition. Gilbert & George: the Beard Pictures and their Fuckosophy. Sorry, but that is the title. Showing at the White Cube Gallery. Honestly, but for the group that's hosting, I wouldn't bother..

And finally, more art on the 8th of January, which I'll probably enjoy more. I'm taking the day off to go see Reflections at the National Gallery - an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelites, which, with a free day, I can peruse at my leisure. As inspired by a walk by the excellent London Literary Walks - roll on the summer, and a return of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment