Saturday 4 November 2017

Exhibition on Witchcraft & A Ghost Walk and Cruise of London

Today, Helen came to town, and had the excellent notion of going to an Exhibition of Witchcraft at Viktor Wynd's Museum of Curiosities! Love that place. In the evening, I was to be off with Walking in London (hence Funzing) on a Hampstead to Highgate Haunted Pub Tour! She can't depend on the trains, so couldn't really commit to an evening event - I don't blame her, they're worse than Irish ones! (which is saying something). The tour takes a while, but includes a pub crawl, so that's forgivable. "crazy_fun" is the current 10% discount code, BTW. I also see they've now switched their loyalty scheme to cover anything booked online - much more efficient, as it automatically credits you! ..But then, at virtually the 11th hour, Walking in London advertised a more attractive-sounding ghost walk! Based in the centre, it promised to be less hilly, and includes a cruise. Starts later too, so I didn't have to rush. And as well as my 10% discount, I took advantage of my £10 voucher, for having booked so many events. So I got nearly a 50% reduction! And was just within the deadline for cancelling the other, if I were to get my money back.

So, a nice lie-in, and I had time for breakfast before meeting Helen - who had headed into Primark anyway, which is conveniently located right by the bus stop. She'd got to the bus stop by the time I made it there, and we had a bit of a wait for our bus - which happened along eventually. We sat upstairs, and as we passed from the posh West End, through the City and to the scruffier surrounds of Shoreditch, I got a look at where our new office is supposed to be - if they'd ever finish signing contracts! Location looks ok anyhow.. I just wish they'd tell us something definite.

We got off just down from the Museum of Curiosities, which was open and serving drinks to a crowd - well, any amount of people in this cramped space constitutes a crowd! We ascertained that the Witchcraft Exhibition was on the ground floor.. so he's just basically converted the display cases on the ground floor to the theme of witchcraft. And so we had a meander around this most interesting of venues:




I do think the place is fascinating. However, it's small, it's crowded, and it's difficult to see around people's heads to look at the exhibits, which do only form a small collection, albeit a unique one. I wouldn't go out of your way to come for the exhibition itself, which runs through February. The place was full of people who'd come for a drink - I see they serve food too, although as Helen remarked, it's a bit dark as a lunch venue! Perhaps a bit dubious too, considering what you're surrounded by. She didn't fancy eating in the area, so we came back into town.

When we passed a Byron, she had an epiphany - burgers it was! We were seated quickly, and as they only do burgers, burgers it was. She had cheese, I had a smokey - with every single choice on the menu, I'd have had to ask for either no tomato or no pickles; with the smokey, it was pickles. But everything else in it was fine - and when I bit into it, I had an epiphany of my own. It was delicious! Not quite the equal of the sublime dog I had in Brewdog in Stockholm, but ballpark. Lovely, spicy sauce - very moreish. We shared a bottle of wine (their menu lists "good", "better", "great", and "best" - we had "good", which was good enough). Brownies followed for dessert, and for me a hot chocolate - which was quite wonderful, with a caramely taste that I think came from the topping. I have a new favourite hot chocolate..

A brief trip to Primark for other stuff she'd seen, and she ended up gifting me an early birthday present that is quite lovely. Thanks, Helen! After I'd seen her off, I returned and got something I'd seen while she was queueing for her purchases - ah, Primark, consistently irresistible, particularly in the run-up to Christmas, with all those lovely fabrics.

Coming home, I just had time to drop off my purchase and ready myself to head out again. I was so glad I'd changed to go to something later! I could walk down to Mount Street, where we were to meet - wasn't exactly sure where though, what with my receipt telling me one thing and the Meetup page another! I believed my receipt, and was right to do so - I messaged the guide on Funzing, and to be fair, got a prompt reply, confirming that we were to meet at the seating area in front of the Church of the Immaculate Conception. Now, that isn't an obvious place to find - what it is, is a dual row of plants (the troughs in which they are planted are at a good height to sit on), leading to a park, which was closed. There is no mention of the church, although it's just visible in the background, in the dark.

Well, our guide duly happened along and took names. When he'd done that, and spent some time calling to anyone who'd listen "Anyone else for the ghost tour?", we started off.



Not many stops on this tour, but he gave value at each one. Our first was at the "most haunted house in London" - 50 Berkeley Square, with one ghost in the cellar, one that keeps falling from the balcony from which she threw herself to her death, and an attic that's so scary that people are advised not to enter alone, or at night. I have to say, that last one reminded me more than anything of a particularly creepy story I heard on a ghost walk in Edinburgh once - great city for them, with its atmospheric closes and wynds. Ah, makes me nostalgic for the place..

We stopped off at St. James' Palace - gee, how come no other guided walk of any kind has led me here? Kudos to the guy - or whomever - for finding a route that's new to me, who's done so many! We then visited Green Park - well, the edge of it - to be told how the building of the Victoria Line under it disturbed all the plague victims who were buried here. So now, lacking houses, they haunt the trees. You have been warned. For our part, it felt as though we were in Blitz conditions, with all the fireworks going off for Guy Fawkes! We could see some, over the trees, as we prepared to leave the park.

Now, we next took the Tube - which we had to pay for ourselves. Which is fine, except that the price for the tour is £30 per head! Seriously, you'd think they could afford to pay for the fare out of that. Anyway, again, kudos to the guide for managing to shepherd us all through the Underground. We had an unfortunate delay to our departure, owing to delays up the line, but it did ultimately save our feet. And after a stop at Westminster (Big Ben sadly shrouded in scaffolding, to the despair of tourists), we boarded a ferry.

It was a long, cold wait till it arrived, during which the guide told us the story that made him believe in ghosts. Onboard, we could sit indoors or outside at the back - back it was, for me, and I got a nice view of St. Paul's:



I loved the trip - it's ages since I've been on a boat. I was bloody freezing though - the weather has really turned cold! I've never been on one of these before, and it was interesting to note that, outside, you can't actually hear the announcements. But I was keeping an eye and an ear out for the Tower stop, where we were to get off - just as well, because the guide stayed inside, and I might well have missed it.

I dunno whether he continued his guiding duties during the boat trip, but he was back on duty for the Tower of London - nice to have this obvious venue included on a ghost walk, it's too far out for most.



A few more tales, and we were let off into the night - after he passed the hat around! Honestly, he kept talking about his boss - does he not get paid enough? I did find him a good and personable guide, but sadly had very little cash on me, and just fished out a handful of very small change for him. The company has cool business cards though, like Death from the tarot:



Now, I was very happy with the content of this tour. I heard stories I hadn't before, visited places I hadn't before, and had a boat trip at night. The guide was good fun, and it was a good evening. But £30? (£32.70, when you add the Tube trip, and that's not counting a discretionary tip.) Definitely not worth it - certainly, from the back of the boat, I had no commentary for the duration of the boat trip, and apart from delivering us to the Tower, it provided no value whatsoever! As for it being included in the price of the tour - gee, had we had to pay ourselves, it wouldn't have cost more than £5.40.. Which makes this far and away the most expensive walk I've ever been on. No, I have to say, avoid - it was fine for the £17 (well, £19.70) I paid, but I'd have been very miffed to pay full price.

And so I made my way uphill for the bus, and shivered till it came - I felt like a block of ice by the time I got in. Glad tomorrow's is indoors, and in daytime - the Crick Crack Club is back, with Hugh Lupton telling the tale of Beowulf at the British Museum - sold out by now, I believe, and no wonder.

On Monday, I'm at the RSC's MMXVII season at the Barbican, seeing Coriolanus with Up in the Cheap Seats.

On Tuesday, I'm with the London European Club (LEC), at the Royal Festival Hall for a "Night Under the Stars" - Russian Soul.

On Wednesday and Thursday, I'm with Up in the Cheap Seats again - Wednesday for Saint George and the Dragon, at the National. Which sounds like fun. Unfortunately, the consensus last night between those who had seen it was that the second half is drawn out. On Thursday, we're off to Everybody's Talking About Jamie, at the Apollo. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 13th, the Crick Crack Club returns to Soho Theatre for an evening called Under the Eyes of Baron Samedi, courtesy of Jan Blake. Delighted to say I persuaded a couple of friends to come along! Hope they enjoy it. Also delighted that the crazy woman isn't coming - despite being a fan of Jan Blake, she couldn't make this.

On the 14th, Up in the Cheap Seats again, and we're off to The Secondary Victim, at the Park Theatre.

On the 15th, I'm finally back with The London Jazz Meetup, to see Ben l' Oncle Soul at Cadogan Hall. Really, I'd go with them much more often, but there's so much else on..!

On the 16th, I'm back at Sadler's Wells with Up in the Cheap Seats, for Hunted Maud Le Pladec / Okwui Okpokwasili.

On the 17th, I'm off to see Young Frankenstein, at the Garrick!

The weekend is Funzing, with Walking in London. On the 18th, A Secret London Tour - I've had my eye on this for a while, it sounds interesting. And on the 19th, I'm finally doing Murder Mile Walk.

On the 20th, I'm off to This Beautiful Future, at the Yard Theatre.

On the 21st, my annual pilgrimage to Cirque Berserk at Winter Wonderland! Whee..

On the 22nd, back with Funzing and Walking in London, this time with Katie of Look Up London, and her Alternative Christmas Lights Tour. Delighted to give her the business, and it should be fun!

On the 23rd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time at the newly opened Bridge Theatre, for their first show, Young Marx. Delighted to make this - I had booked it for the 20th October, then the Crick Crack Club got in the way, as they often do! The theatre charged me a nominal fee to change it to this date. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 27th, I'm headed to see Follies at the National - one that London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) went to a while ago, expensively. What with their ticket prices, and other things getting in the way, I really don't know when I'll be with them again..

On the 28th, back with Let's Do This! (LDT) at a place called The Fiddler's Elbow, for a Blues Club & Jam. Be good to see them again!

On the 29th, the Crick Crack Club has their long-awaited 30th birthday party at Rich Mix. Finally advertised by their Meetup group, I see, months after tickets went on sale. A friend is going to this, and Helen is thinking about it. Oh, and the crazy lady is supposed to be going - may she not dare to cross my path!

On the 30th, LDT is off to.. Saint George and the Dragon! Now, when this was advertised, I remembered having booked it already. Checked, and discovered that was during my week in Stockholm - so I was happy to book it again. Completely forgot, of course, that I was already booked for next week, with Up in the Cheap Seats. No refunds either. Ah well, just hope it's good, considering I've now booked it three times! Then I'm back to Ireland again.

On the 4th of December, I'm finally seeing Heisenberg: the Uncertainty Principle, at Wyndham's Theatre. Another that LDAM saw before I have, and another I rescheduled - this from the 16th October, when I was with Up in the Cheap Seats. Another nominal fee to change.

On the 5th of December, my annual trip to La Soirée! "Posh new venue", as they say - they're now in the Aldwych Theatre. Cheapest tickets at Amazon tickets.

The 6th of December sees our office Christmas party! Mercifully, I've just found out it's not black tie this year - don't have to buy a new outfit, then! It's at Bounce - a pub with ping pong tables, wouldya believe?! We have a private room, with three such tables and a karaoke machine. I foresee a noisy night..!

I can't stay long though - have to be at Stansted at 6 in the morning of the 7th of December, for a trip to Nuremberg Christmas market with LEC! We'll also be doing some travelling in the area. Helen liked the sound of it, and my other friend who's coming to the storytelling is coming too. We'll have a ball! I just bought Lonely Planet's chapter on Bavaria, downloaded it, and have shared it with them - isn't it handy how you can buy individual chapters? Mercifully, although the crazy woman was supposed to go on this, she's pulled out.

Back late on the 10th of December, and on the 11th of December - having taken the day off work (I'll be exhausted) - I'm off to the Barbershop Chronicles. At the National.

On the 12th of December, I've just booked a Funzing talk - Interviews With a Serial Killer, courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night. For which, with their new loyalty scheme, I earned that £10 credit! Not so shabby..

On the 13th of December, my last visit of the year to Sands Films - not yet advertised on Meetup, although it probably will be, TunedIn London has a concert by Plastikes Karekles, a Greek group.

On the 14th of December, my friends who are off to Soho on the 13th of November are headed to Wilton's Music Hall, for something called The Box of Delights. And for once, I'm letting them decide for me, and am going myself too.

And on the 15th of December, my final trip of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Jan Blake is performing Masters of Hex at the British Library. Along with Ben Haggerty and TUUP. Same friend going with me as on the 29th of November, and Helen too - and the same lunatic. Well, after the nasty things she had to say about me, I'll be surprised if she dares to approach me at all.

Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Christmas. Farewell 2017 - it's been good! Roll on 2018, and the next U2 tour..

No comments:

Post a Comment