Wednesday 15 November 2017

Concert: Ben l' Oncle Soul

Tonight, I was finally back with The London Jazz Meetup, to see Ben l' Oncle Soul at Cadogan Hall. Really, I'd go with them much more often, but there's so much else on..! Much more relaxed today, the flat-hunting being sorted. We were to meet beforehand at The Antelope - and, of course, now I don't have to view any more flats! Unfortunately, wouldn't you know it, there was another late meeting at work, so my time in the pub would be cut short. Bah humbug.

I was also doing my film list - and so it was a little after 6 when I left, taking the Tube to be as quick as possible. All the same, it was after 6.30 when I arrived at The Antelope. With no hope of getting a seat, I gave up on the pub idea, and headed straight to the venue, where I had a drink, taking a seat on a bench to the side of the main bar. As I remarked to the lady sitting beside me - didn't there used to be a bench through the middle, with high stools at it? "Yes, indeed!" she replied, and we agreed what a very bad idea it was to take it out, thus removing much-needed seating. Not nearly enough seating, here. They were selling Jazz Festival t-shirts behind the bar - no way was I sacrificing my seat to have a look, though!


Upstairs, I was led down the sloping gallery - carefully - by an usher, and was sat near my group, and somewhat over the stage - which suits me just fine. Some would complain about the safety rail, which cut through my view - nonsense! I could easily lean forward, or peer under it to see whatever I was missing. The bench seats are supplied with thick cushions, and are quite comfortable.

We did wonder about the amount of smoke on stage as we came in - as the guy to my right remarked to his companion, "maybe it's just on fire!" There was so much that we could barely see the mc come on to introduce the support act. You could hardly miss her name - she (or someone very loyal to her) had taken the time to put a flier on every single seat, advertising Julia Biel. What a shame, then, that her act bored everyone in my row to distraction. Well, except the folks to my right, who kept clapping quite enthusiastically. Maybe they scattered the fliers. Anyway, I was glad I'd brought the paper, which I read while the lights were bright enough. At the (long-awaited) interval, the lady beside me informed her that I'd made her husband laugh - apparently, he'd also been rather unimpressed and suggested to her that he could spend his time doing the crossword in my paper!

I needed the loo, so my time with the group at the interval was necessarily short as well. We met in the bar just down from the main one - the Oakley Room, a nice little bar that provides a less crowded alternative. Now, the concert had started late, and the support act had finished late - but that didn't stop them starting the second act bang on time, so I'd barely arrived down there when the call came to retake our seats! By the time we got all the way back up those stairs, the mc was already introducing him. I was glad to see the smoke had gone.. and sorry to see that the couple to my left hadn't returned. They did miss a great show.

Well now, Ben wasn't exactly lonely on stage. He had a trumpeter, a saxophonist, a guy playing (five!) keyboards, a guy at the back with a mixing desk, a drummer, and two guitarists. Sorry, I don't remember any of their names, although he did introduce them. You couldn't mistake him, though - with the hat, the sunglasses, the swagger.. Of course, as a practically lifelong U2 fan, that was what I was comparing him to. And it was an interesting comparison - he seemed, certainly for this crowd, to be the jazz/blues equivalent, and I have to say, he's a good showman. He's no Bono, but does share his love of interacting with the crowd.

This was kind of a Sinatra tribute. Well, he was doing Sinatra songs - just unrecognisable as such, apart from the lyrics. Definitely put his own spin on them. And although he had us on our feet at the start, I soon sat down - as a U2 fan, I'm used to standing, but also used to a more intense impact from stage, and this was a bit relaxed for that kind of thing, I thought. Having said that, he has a rocky sound that appeals to me, and gave a beautiful, solo rendition of Moonlight Serenade. But it was his performance of My Way, which led into a short break, that confirmed why all these people are so crazy for him. Crazy strobe lighting combined with him leaping into the audience - no crowdsurfing here, he was after hugs!

A real fans' performer, he spent the whole show bonding with the front row, and I remember one guy who'd brought an LP, and, pushing to the middle, proffered it to him along with a pen, while he was actually performing. And fair play, he had no qualms about signing it! Man, the look of delight on that guy's face - he'll be smiling for months, I think.. So, with a delightful mish-mash of jazz, rock, rhythm n blues, he really rocked the house. He did run over time - and I think he'd have liked to go on much longer, except that a determined usher over the side kept making a variety of urgent (and distracting) arm movements, very obviously designed to convey to him that he needed to FINISH! Hey-ho, a great night. Recommended..

Afterwards, I was hungry, so skipped heading to the pub, and just headed to shop, then home to eat. Bless us, Julia Biel was flogging cds near the exit - uhh! Tomorrow, I'm back at Sadler's Wells with Up in the Cheap Seats, for Hunted Maud Le Pladec / Okwui Okpokwasili. Shame, from that respect, that I won't have access to my new flat yet - it's just down the road from there!

On Friday, I'm off to see Young Frankenstein, at the Garrick!

The weekend is Funzing, with Walking in London. On Saturday, A Secret London Tour - I've had my eye on this for a while, it sounds interesting. And on Sunday, I'm finally doing Murder Mile Walk.

On Monday, I was off to This Beautiful Future, at the Yard Theatre. And then it turned out that a couple of guys from the North American training team in our company are visiting the office for a couple of days! Team dinner that night. Well hey, I wasn't that pushed about the play anyway. Not everything I book for is a must-see.

Next Tuesday, my annual pilgrimage to Cirque Berserk at Winter Wonderland! Whee..

On the 22nd, back with Walking in London, this time with Katie of Look Up London, and her Alternative Christmas Lights Tour. Delighted to give her the business, and it should be fun!

On the 23rd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time at the newly opened Bridge Theatre, for their first show, Young Marx. Delighted to make this - I had booked it for the 20th October, then the Crick Crack Club got in the way, as they often do! The theatre charged me a nominal fee to change it to this date. So this'll now be the first play I'll have gone to in a while! And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 27th, I'm headed to see Follies at the National - one that London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) went to a while ago, expensively. What with their ticket prices, and other things getting in the way, I really don't know when I'll be with them again..

On the 28th, back with Let's Do This! (LDT) at a place called The Fiddler's Elbow, for a Blues Club & Jam. Be good to see them again!

On the 29th, the Crick Crack Club has their long-awaited 30th birthday party at Rich Mix. Finally advertised by their Meetup group, I see, months after tickets went on sale. A friend is going to this, and Helen is thinking about it. Oh, and the crazy lady is supposed to be going - may she not dare to cross my path! I'm perfectly capable of throwing a drink over her. If the need arises.

On the 30th, LDT is off to.. Saint George and the Dragon, at the National! Now, when this was advertised, I remembered having booked it already. Checked, and discovered that was during my week in Stockholm - so I was happy to book it again. Completely forgot, of course, that I was already booked for last week, with Up in the Cheap Seats. But then, of course, I couldn't go to that either.. third time lucky, I hope! Mind you, consensus seems to be that it drags - never mind. Then I'm back to Ireland again.

On the 4th of December, I'm finally seeing Heisenberg: the Uncertainty Principle, at Wyndham's Theatre. Another that LDAM saw before I have, and another I rescheduled - this from the 16th October, when I was with Up in the Cheap Seats. Another nominal fee to change. And they posted me physical tickets - how retro!

On the 5th of December, my annual trip to La Soirée! "Posh new venue", as they say - they're now in the Aldwych Theatre. Cheapest tickets at Amazon tickets.

The 6th of December sees our office Christmas party! Mercifully, I've just found out it's not black tie this year - don't have to buy a new outfit, then! It's at Bounce - a pub with ping pong tables, wouldya believe?! We have a private room, with three such tables and a karaoke machine. I foresee a noisy night..!

I can't stay long though - have to be at Stansted at 6 in the morning of the 7th of December, for a trip to Nuremberg Christmas market with LEC! We'll also be doing some travelling in the area. Helen liked the sound of it, and my other friend who's coming to the storytelling is coming too. We'll have a ball! I just bought Lonely Planet's chapter on Bavaria, downloaded it, and have shared it with them - isn't it handy how you can buy individual chapters? Mercifully, although the crazy woman was supposed to go on this, she's pulled out. So, the plan is to stay in the new place, the night before..

Back late on the 10th of December, and on the 11th of December - having taken the day off work (I'll be exhausted) - I'm off to the Barbershop Chronicles. At the National.

On the 12th of December, I've just booked a Funzing talk - Interviews With a Serial Killer, courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night. For which, with their new loyalty scheme, I earned £10 credit! Not so shabby..

On the 13th of December, my last visit of the year to Sands Films - finally advertised on Meetup, through the World Music MeetupTunedIn London has a concert by Plastikes Karekles, a Greek group.

On the 14th of December, my friends who came to Soho on Monday are headed to Wilton's Music Hall, for something called The Box of Delights. And for once, I'm letting them decide for me, and am going myself too.

And on the 15th of December, my final trip of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Jan Blake is performing Masters of Hex at the British Library. Along with Ben Haggerty and TUUP. Same friend going with me as on the 29th of November, and Helen too - and the same lunatic. Well, after the nasty things she had to say about me, I'll be surprised if she dares to approach me at all.

Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Christmas. Farewell 2017 - it's been good! Roll on 2018, and the next U2 tour..

No comments:

Post a Comment