Friday 22 September 2017

Play: Proof

Tonight, it was to be that free comedy - with DiscoverLDN.UK, this time. But, d'you know, it was only last week I remembered they'd actually cancelled it! (Thus saving me the bother.) Instead, I went to Proof, at The Courtyard.. with the (another un-nameable) club that charges £3.60. (Funnily enough, I see they also had tickets to last night's event - I got mine cheaper, though..) And I don't book that free comedy any more, considering I'm unlikely ever again to go to it.

So, I was off to Shoreditch again. Jeez, I spend so much time there, you'd think I was a hipster! Time enough to take the bus, and I had a choice of a few - so, whichever came first. First up was the #38, which meant I had to change to the #243.. and wouldn't you know it, we pulled up right behind one at a stop! I hopped off - and happily, there were enough people queueing to get on the other bus that it was in no danger of leaving before I got to it. Happier still, a load of people got off at the next stop, and I got a seat!

Dunno why the woman beside me looked so surprised when I asked her to move to let me out - I had just pressed the button. Maybe she was just off in a Friday dream world. Anyway, it wasn't too long a walk to The Courtyard - left up Pitfield Street, and Google maps assured me it was on the right-hand side. So I was looking out for the sign - but still hadn't seen one by the time Google Maps told me I'd passed it. Now, it sometimes has trouble finding me - but less so when I'm on foot: so I believed it, and stopped before I got to the leafy square ahead. Looking around in absolute confusion, I'd have missed it entirely but for a couple behind me - he said, "It's there!", and I looked closer at the doorway around the corner, with the green canopy, and I saw the theatre posters leading down the stairs, and I figured that was it. Certainly wouldn't have recognised it from the website - although they do mention that access is via Bowling Green Walk, which it is.

Down the stairs, then - bar clearly signposted to the left, box office clearly signposted to the right. I was just after 7 - this group does like you to be there half an hour beforehand, so I was slightly late.. but the box office was closed anyway. So I meandered into the bar. Where they have a practical solution to both the problem of wall coverage and the problem of book storage:


Now, they had two bottles of wine delivered to the office today. So I'd had plenty to drink - and they didn't seem to have anything else to tempt me. I just wandered around until the box office opened - at about 10 past - got my ticket (printed on strips of regular paper - this is a budget operation) and a free programme (thanks guys!). I then bagged an armchair while they were going, and had a comfy sit-down until the box-office guy came and called us, then led us down a long corridor to the "main room". Where we climbed some stairs, and entered, interestingly, halfway up the tiered seating..

Seating is unassigned, and I took a seat front row centre. A simple set - the entire play is supposed to take place on a porch, so they just have a couple of chairs, a bench, a table.. some notebooks in a pile at the corner. Think I've come across this play before, actually.. Anyway. I've read reviews that say it's well-acted. Huh..?! There are four characters - Claire and Catherine are sisters, there's their dad, Robert - a former maths professor - and a former student of his, Hal. Robert and Catherine appear in the first scene, where he scares her by suddenly appearing behind her - and I'm afraid he was just terribly wooden. Which makes more sense, I guess, when you realise he's actually dead.. (That's not much of a spoiler, the rest of the play depends on it anyway.)

The others were better - although both sisters have the most friggin' annoying titter! The fact that both have almost the same laugh makes me think it was an instruction from the director - oh dear, I couldn't wait to get away from it. I just kept thinking - "Please, please, don't let them laugh.." I got highly irritated by the whole thing, and was relieved when the interval came and I could escape. It is a good play - basically, it's about what Catherine chooses to do with her life following the death of her father, whom she's been caring for. Runs until Sunday, if you're interested.

Tomorrow, I was to do the same comedy, but am now headed to the launch of Rob Luft's new album, Riser, at King's Place. As advertised by The London Jazz Meetup. I finally ended up paying their membership fee after booking an event with them the other day, for November, which someone is attending that I know. So I figured it was wiser! Sold out now, I believe.

I had booked the same free comedy, with the same group, on Sunday, but was again saved - this time, by the World Music Meetup! They're off to see Kefaya, in Nell's Jazz and Blues bar, back in my old stomping ground of North End Road! Happy days, when I was working there..

On Monday, a group called Theatre and Stuff is off to see Prism, at Hampstead Theatre. They're charging extra to go with them, though - so I happily bought my own ticket. What the hey, odds are I won't know any of them anyway.

On Tuesday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats - to see Wings, at the Young Vic. Accidentally booked standing, I think.. :-/

On Wednesday, I was with Up in the Cheap Seats again - for Jekyll & Hyde, presented by the National Youth Theatre, at the Ambassadors Theatre. But gee, of course, London Literary Walks is out again - King's Cross and John Betjeman, this one. Likely to be the last of the year - I couldn't miss it.

On Thursday, I was with another new group: London, Surrey and Beyond.. for an event called "A Unique Experience. Olde Pub, Gerry's Private Club, 2 'i's Famous Fish 'n' Chips". Which says it all, really! But then TunedIn advertised flamenco at Sands Films.. irresistible really. So I've booked that instead. And then RSVPed with the World Music Meetup, when they finally got around to advertising it. (I see that London, Surrey and Beyond event has been cancelled now, for lack of interest.) Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 2nd October, I had booked at Hampstead Theatre, for No One Will Tell Me How to Start a RevolutionNorth London Friends are attending - and charging extra, so I was going it alone! But now it turns out I'm spending the week in the Stockholm office - back on the 8th.

On the 3rd October, it was free comedy in Hammersmith - nominally. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich. So, that was easy to cancel, for Stockholm!

On the 4th October was Up in the Cheap Seats and Labour of Love, with Martin Freeman, at the Noel Coward Theatre. Cheapest tickets from the venue, for once!

On the 5th October, same group - headed to see the Company Wayne McGregor, at Sadler's Wells.

And finally! on the 6th October, headed to see Chekhov's The Seagull, at the Lyric. Third night in a row for that group - almost as busy a group as I am a person! So, four things in all I had to cancel, without refund.. what the hey, I'll doubtless be saving money in Stockholm! Expenses paid, after all.

On the 9th October, I'm finally going to see the show so many people have asked me whether I'm seeing. Ink is showing at the Duke of York's Theatre. 

On the 10th October, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Ballet Boyz at Sadler's Wells.

On the 11th October, back with Funzing (London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night) for a talk on Revolution in Iran: Girl with a Gun. This will be an interview with a female Kurdish revolutionary.. on the Battersea Barge, which I believe can get choppy. Never mind. This is one I got for free, for completing a loyalty card with three talks.

On the 12th October, Let's Do This are back to St. Martin-in-the-Fields, where London Concertante is performing Bach Violin Concertos. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 16th October, back at Southwark Playhouse with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time, it's for A Day By the Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment