Monday 25 September 2017

Play: Prism

Tonight, a group called Theatre and Stuff went to see Prism, at Hampstead Theatre. They charge a membership fee, though - so I happily bought my own ticket. What the hey, odds were I wouldn't know any of them anyway.

Had a late meeting, which overran, but it still left me with plenty of time. Fastest bus was from Charing Cross Road, where I could catch one of a couple of buses to Camden Town, then change to the #31. As I was waiting for that, a #24 caused much confusion by stopping at the stop further down.. I think it was just at the wrong stop, and it did stop at ours as well. As for mine, it wasn't long in coming, and stopped across the road from the theatre - a journey I've made before.


Got my ticket at the box office, and immediately had a burst of déja vu.. it seems that almost every time I've been here has either been with, or avoiding, London Dramatic Arts. (If you get a cheaper ticket, they spitefully disapprove, y'see, which is when I avoid them. When are they going to learn that that's just bad advertising..?) Anyway, en route to the loo, I was distracted by a massive projection of credits for old films.. turned out that was related to the play I'd come to see.

The toilets are interesting - I don't think I've been here, before, and yes, the photos of celebrities are the actual cubicle doors. In the adjoining café, I was interested to see shelves of books. Wonder whether they have a swap system? Anyway, heading back up to the lobby, I saw people making their way into the auditorium, so I followed. I had the very back row in the dress circle - which has ok legroom, a rail to lean on, and mine was in the middle, so had a rail to the side where I could hang my coat. I did think I spied a couple of people in the stalls that I knew - possibly attending with that other group. Hey-ho.


The play stars Robert Lindsay as an elderly, demented former cinematographer.. having worked with all the stars, he now spends more time in his past than the present. Just four characters in all - his wife, son, and carer all trying to tether him to reality - oh, and of course, we have the ghosts of his past acquaintances in the film world! His son has tried to mollify him by converting the garage into a kind of sound stage, but the jury's out on whether that's done more harm than good.

Oh my God, this is good!! The very best play I've seen in a long time. Absolutely beautiful writing throughout. The couple beside me weren't enthused by the first half - thought it lacked a plot, of all things. Now, a plot really isn't necessary as long as you have something to focus on - let me refer back to that incredible writing. Me, as I told them, I loved it.. but then, I love old film - and there were plenty of references to that, the old cinematographer speaking with such passion about the tools of his trade, and about the people he knew.

The second half balances the scales, as we see into his amazing world. The stage transforms quite dramatically into the set of The African Queen, Katherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart hanging out with him in the heart of the Dark Continent. Flips from there to a sound stage, where we see him with Monroe and Arthur Miller. And I've got to say - all the impersonations were a delight to behold. That, with the evocative backdrops, make it a delight to a film buff. The whole thing is highly cinematic. Combine that with a really, subtly emotional ending, and you have a truly memorable production. If you have the chance to see this at all, it'd be a crime to miss it. Runs till the 14th - and it really isn't often I see something this good. GO SEE!!

Tomorrow, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats - to see Wings, at the Young Vic. Accidentally booked standing, I think.. :-/

On Wednesday, I was with Up in the Cheap Seats again - for Jekyll & Hyde, presented by the National Youth Theatre, at the Ambassadors Theatre. But gee, of course, London Literary Walks is out again - King's Cross and John Betjeman, this one. Likely to be the last of the year - I couldn't miss it.

On Thursday, I was with another new group: London, Surrey and Beyond.. for an event called "A Unique Experience. Olde Pub, Gerry's Private Club, 2 'i's Famous Fish 'n' Chips". Which says it all, really! But then TunedIn advertised flamenco at Sands Films.. irresistible really. So I've booked that instead. And then RSVPed with the World Music Meetup, when they finally got around to advertising it. (I see that London, Surrey and Beyond event has been cancelled now, for lack of interest.) Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

Next Monday, I had booked at Hampstead Theatre, for No One Will Tell Me How to Start a RevolutionNorth London Friends are attending - and charging extra, so I was going it alone! But now it turns out I'm spending the week in the Stockholm office - back on the 8th.

On the 3rd October, it was free comedy in Hammersmith - nominally. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich. So, that was easy to cancel, for Stockholm!

On the 4th October was Up in the Cheap Seats and Labour of Love, with Martin Freeman, at the Noel Coward Theatre. Cheapest tickets from the venue, for once!

On the 5th October, same group - headed to see the Company Wayne McGregor, at Sadler's Wells.

And finally! on the 6th October, headed to see Chekhov's The Seagull, at the Lyric. Third night in a row for that group - almost as busy a group as I am a person! So, four things in all I had to cancel, without refund.. what the hey, I'll doubtless be saving money in Stockholm! Expenses paid, after all.

On the 9th October, I'm finally going to see the show so many people have asked me whether I'm seeing. Ink is showing at the Duke of York's Theatre. 

On the 10th October, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Ballet Boyz at Sadler's Wells.

On the 11th October, back with Funzing (London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night) for a talk on Revolution in Iran: Girl with a Gun. This will be an interview with a female Kurdish revolutionary.. on the Battersea Barge, which I believe can get choppy. Never mind. This is one I got for free, for completing a loyalty card with three talks.

On the 12th October, Let's Do This are back to St. Martin-in-the-Fields, where London Concertante is performing Bach Violin Concertos. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 16th October, back at Southwark Playhouse with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time, it's for A Day By the Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment