Wednesday 16 August 2017

Plays: Ego & The Trial of le Singe

Tonight, another Camden Fringe double bill with Up in the Cheap SeatsEgo, in The Lion and Unicorn, and The Trial of Le Singe, in The Water Rats. Hell, it had to be better than last night - couldn't be worse! Again, I caught the bus in good time - and gee, the 29 was running this evening, which was handy, as it was the only one that would do! In fact, although one was just leaving as I got to the stop, I only had to wait about five minutes for the next.

It was crammed, and I was lucky to get a seat in the back row. A teeth-juddering experience, mind. And something of a scramble to get off, when I finally did, pushing my way through crowds of folks. I had to walk through Cantelowes Gardens - a truly lovely spot, with free, outdoor gym equipment beside the sports courts, a large playground - plenty of people using it, and one on the gym equipment - a group of kids playing football, of course, and even a circle of singers, practicing to the side, on this gorgeously sunny evening! Quite the most enjoyable park I've yet seen.

Down the road a bit, the Lion and Unicorn was just as pleasant! Tables in the garden to the front and around the side, a walled garden to the back. I ordered a drink, and found myself a table in the spacious, airy bar; many were reserved by the quaint method of writing - in something erasable, no doubt - on brightly coloured saucers, placed on the tables, whom the reservation was for, and for what time. While I waited, I amused myself by watching the people at the table beside me, who were filling syringes from a bottle marked "Fake Blood" (which was quite realistic), and the people filling the area marked out for a large group, closer to the door. One young lady with a bare midriff had written "#EGO" on it, and underneath, "Camden Fringe". Someone later remarked that he'd seen her working on the lighting.

It took my companions forever to arrive - by which stage a slew of people had emerged from the door marked "To the theatre", and completely filled the pub, inside and out. It was lucky I'd gotten there early and secured a table! Anyway, we had a few minutes together before the theatre door was opened and we all headed up, checking our names off the list as we went. Yes, upstairs again, of course - but much more forgiving stairs than last night! Upholstered, bench seating - and nicely air-conditioned, which was yet another improvement on last night.

Ego is based on a novella, Anthem, by Ayn Rand, and is set in a dystopian future, where the individual is sacrificed completely to the collective. Children are separated from their parents at birth. The word "I" is forbidden - everybody talks about themselves in the plural. "Life mandates" - careers - are assigned at the age of 15, and are not to be disputed. Questions are discouraged in school. Everything is for the good of the collective. But can you really stop an inquisitive mind from dreaming..?

It was very enjoyable to watch - a gentle soundtrack accompanies a fair bit of interpretative dance, which doesn't always work when used to explain concepts. It also frequently depicts the routine passage of time, which gets a bit repetitive. Still, the performances are very sincere, and it was a great showing on the opening night of their very first production! Well done, all.. runs until Friday.

We hung on in the bar for a bit afterwards, but it was still busy, and one of us left the other two to continue to the Water Rats, via the Northern Line. We were quite early though, and stopped at King's Cross first, to grab something to eat. I hit Giraffe in the upstairs food court - my companion preferred Leon, which is downstairs, and brought his takeaway up. Mind you, I accidentally ordered a sit-in meal rather than a takeaway, which meant we ended up sitting in Giraffe's area, rather than the common area. And he got rather a dirty look from the server, who spied his Leon bag! ;-)

After a decidedly so-so burger for me - he preferred what he had, I think - we headed off, me stopping at the loo first. Which cost 30p - but it was reasonably urgent. The public service notices are certainly conscientious:



A short walk got us to the Water Rats. My though, it's plusher than I remember! The front area is now brightly lit with chandeliers, and given over to food. Most of the tables were reserved, which probably explains the huge crowd clustered outside. When we were finally let through the doors to the stage area, and our names were checked off, we were given very attractive, Victorian-style programmes.. and fake moustaches! Which were used for a photoshoot at the beginning, for which we were all asked to don them..

This was just the beginning of audience interaction for the evening. The group, calling themselves the Heretical Historians, gave a rousing rendition of the tale of the trial of a monkey in Hartlepool during the Napoleonic wars. Washed ashore after a shipwreck, 'twas dressed in a French uniform, you see, and in a cage with a French flag - so they thought, quite naturally, that this was a Frenchman: never having seen a monkey or a Frenchman, ever before. And indeed, we started with a most realistic sea storm, including the spraying of the front rows with water.

Well, the entire thing was hilarious! Comedy can be tricky, but they had it down to a T. Of the six performers, the standouts for me were the village idiot, played by a "strong, independent woman of colour", as they said - who had the most fantastic, OTT, funny voice and a face for comedy: and the monkey himself, who spent most of the show making faces in a cage, was finally let out to defend himself, and stunned us all by giving a most eloquent, cultivated speech. Which, of course, went right over the heads of the "court", who duly hung him. I can give that away, because I'm terribly sad to say that the run has now ended, and my deepest sympathies go to anyone who missed this. It was that good. Keep an eye out for these guys - they give good comedy.

Close enough to walk home afterwards, yay. Tomorrow, I'm headed to a rather interesting talk on Bodysnatching in Southwark! Mary, too.. and it's a funny thing, all the tickets were gone when I first saw it, but then I checked again on spec, and more were available! Lucky. As advertised by Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts - but they're not running it, tickets are available on Eventbrite, and are free. I see London Social Detours are going too. Then I'm back to Ireland again for the weekend.

On Monday, I'm off to see Jesus Christ Superstar, finally! At the open-air theatre in Regent's Park - again, I hope it doesn't rain.

On Tuesday, my first talk with Scarlet Ladies UK (!). Their stated aim is to abolish the stigma of talking about sex.. so they have a load of talks. This one is about the history of slut-shaming.

Next Wednesday, I was back with Jennifer Rees (and the same two Meetup Funzing groups again), for a talk about the Psychology of Serial Killers. This is at least the third instance of this talk - I was booked for one last month, but had to cancel - it clashed with the trip to the Icebar. The next was sold out - and then I saw this one and booked, at last! It's on the Battersea Barge, of all places! Just a 10% discount this time - I see the latest code for that is crazy_fun. And gee, guess what.. London Literary Walks just advertised a Regent's Park Walk for that day! Guess I'll never make this talk..!

On the 24th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill, a musical about the life of Billie Holiday. Nice and close to me, at Wyndham's. Passed it the other evening, in fact.

On the 25th, back with the same group (!) for yet another Camden Fringe double bill: Boris - the Musical! at the Cockpit again (the London European Club - LEC - are also going to this), and Make Advena Great Again, at Camden People's Theatre. Goodness, that's only a short walk from home..

On the 26th, I'm back to the Proms for the first time in years! Funnily enough, it was inspired by a Meetup group - Gothic Requiem London (!). This is the "Gothic Prom", you see - all the composers are Czech (Bohemian). Now, I'm no Goth - but the Proms sound like a great idea.

On the 27th, I'm off on a day trip to Bath, with Carpe Diem: booked while I was in Barcelona, recently.

On the 28th, the organiser of Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts promised Helen and me free tickets to a treasure hunt she was organising that day - in recompense for that treasure hunt, not run by her but advertised by her, where the organisers never showed, and instead marked us as no-shows. However, the event on the 28th still hasn't been advertised, and what with severe engineering works at Waterloo for the whole month, Helen's not sure she can make it at all. We shall see.

On the 29th, I'm off to see Five Guys Named Moe, at the Marble Arch Theatre - a pop-up, it seems! From the Box Office provided the best deal on this occasion.

On the 30th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, at the Apollo (although booking is with the Young Vic), with Sienna MillerColm Meaney, and nudity. Cheapest tickets this time were with LoveTheatre.

On the 31st, back with those two Funzing groups. This time, the talk is entitled "Can You Trust the Media?", and is given by Annie Machon, who gave an interesting talk last month on Russian Hacking. Another 30% discount. I just wish she'd use some visual aids.. At the Lighthouse again, terrific. :-/ Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 4th September, I'm finally going to see Dreamgirls, at the Savoy, courtesy of Amazon Tickets.

On the 5th September, I was back with the Scarlet Ladies for a talk on Generation Sex. Until Let's Do This advertised a concert that sounds really good.. at the Apples & Pears Bar. Hey, I do allow myself to change if something sounds better..

On the 6th September, I'm with another new group - North London Friends - for an interview with Michael Palin, at the Knowledge Centre Theatre at the British Library. I was really torn, though - the LEC is off to an early music concert the same night, and I do love that - but had already booked this, and it is Michael Palin. Hey-ho..

On the 7th September, I was back with North London Friends, and another talk on Fake News - different speaker, mind! This is the Fulbright Commission annual lecture, at the British Library. However, much more attractively, Let's Do This are reviving what used to be a regular Man with the Hat event - we're off to St. Martin-in-the-Fields, for some Vivaldi concertos. With a discount, yet! London Concertante, as usual.

On the 8th September, until the other day I was still technically booked for free comedy in Hammersmith with DiscoverLDN.UK. But, as I say - good atmosphere, but the comedy is usually pretty bad. I was saved - again - by Up in the Cheap Seats, who are off to see Doubt, a Parable, in Southwark Playhouse. Aww.. it's so long since I was there, and I have so many good memories of it from my time with the Man with the Hat!

On the 9th September, Helen and I have our 25km sponsored walk, in aid of Haslemere's Cat Protection Society. We're going as Dick Whittington and his cat, respectively, and the route is the Thames Bridges Trek. You can donate here..

Which will tire me out nicely, just in time for my flight to Prague the next morning! I'm at a conference there, Sunday to Tuesday. (What a nice company I work for!) Gee, but I love Prague - most beautiful city I've ever seen, and I've seen a few. They're putting me up at a nice hotel too, just down the road.

So, I fly back on the 12th September, and on the 13th I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Sadler's Wells, for the Hofesh Schechter Company grand finale.

On the 14th September, I'm at another talk with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts - this one, at Southwark Cathedral, is about the River Effra, South London's Secret Spine. Another free Eventbrite event, this is to publicise a book about the subject, and the talk is again given by the author. Another thing that had no tickets, then it did! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 18th September, I was off to Showstopper! at the Lyric. Ticket courtesy of From the Box Office again. I have actually seen this before - but, being an improvised musical, it literally is different every time! But you'll never guess - the Crick Crack Club finally announced their autumn schedule today, and now, that night, I'm off to Eaten Father, Eaten Mother by Ben Haggerty. In Soho Theatre, first time in ages.

On the 19th September, back with the Scarlet Ladies, for a talk entitled 100 Women - Their Breasts, Their Stories.

On the 20th September, Funzing (same two groups) and Jennifer Rees again - this time, a fun talk about the Psychology of Batman Villains! The first of hers for which I managed to get a 30% discount.. and it's on nice and close to me again. Seems to be a feature of her talks!

On the 21st September, technically, free comedy in Hammersmith - with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and GreenwichRandom London, and DiscoverLDN.UK. And on the 22nd September, the same - with DiscoverLDN.UK. I rather doubt it though - don't you?

On the 23rd September, I was to do the same, but am now headed to the launch of Rob Luft's new album, Riser, at King's Place. As advertised by The London Jazz Meetup. I finally ended up paying their membership fee after booking an event with them the other day, for November, which someone is attending that I know. So I figured it was wiser!

I had booked the same free comedy, with the same group, on the 24th September, but was again saved - this time, by the World Music Meetup! They're off to see Kefaya, in Nell's Jazz and Blues bar, back in my old stomping ground of North End Road! Happy days, when I was working there..

On the 25th September, a group called Theatre and Stuff is off to see Prism, at Hampstead Theatre. They're charging extra to go with them, though - so I happily bought my own ticket. What the hey, odds are I won't know any of them anyway.

On the 26th September, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats - to see Wings, at The Young Vic. Accidentally booked standing, I think.. :-/

On the 27th September, with Up in the Cheap Seats again - for Jekyll & Hyde, presented by the National Youth Theatre, at the Ambassadors Theatre.

On the 28th September, with another new group: London, Surrey and Beyond.. for an event called "A Unique Experience. Olde Pub, Gerry's Private Club, 2 'i's Famous Fish 'n' Chips". Which says it all, really! Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 2nd October, I had booked at Hampstead Theatre, for No One Will Tell Me How to Start a Revolution. North London Friends are attending - and charging extra, so I was going it alone! But now it turns out I'm spending the week in the Stockholm office - back on the 8th.

On the 3rd October, it was free comedy in Hammersmith - nominally. With Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich. So, that was easy to cancel, for Stockholm!

On the 4th October was Up in the Cheap Seats and Labour of Love, with Martin Freeman, at the Noel Coward Theatre. Cheapest tickets from the venue, for once!

On the 5th October, same group - headed to see the Company Wayne McGregor, at Sadler's Wells.

And finally! on the 6th October, headed to see Chekhov's The Seagull, at the Lyric. Third night in a row for that group - almost as busy a group as I am a person! So, four things in all I had to cancel, without refund.. what the hey, I'll doubtless be saving money in Stockholm!

On the 9th October, I'm finally going to see the show so many people have asked me whether I'm seeing. Ink is showing at the Duke of York's Theatre. 

And on the 10th October, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Ballet Boyz at Sadler's Wells.

No comments:

Post a Comment