Wednesday 2 August 2017

Opera: Une Éducation Manquée

I was just looking up what to do tonight - and wouldn't you know it, at that moment the Pop-Up Opera sent me a mail with upcoming events. Une Éducation Manquée is a short, French comic opera, whose run finished today. All right then!

It was in the Arcola - a long time since I'd been there, and a long way to it. Google Maps promised a journey time of about 40 minutes by bus - dreadful traffic meant that, even allowing for 10 minutes' wait time at the stop, it took me over an hour. I dozed for most of the journey - really need a rest! While I was awake, I was entertained by the lass beside me, who was regaling someone on the other end of the phone with tales of the injuries sustained when she was recently run over by a car - and a little, white Westie, whose human had sat near the side doors, and who was absolutely fascinated by the view through them! doubtless anticipating getting off soon. It did happen eventually.

Happened for me, too - with a short walk to the theatre. Actually, I think it'd have been expedient to stay on for one stop more, and not have to cross that busy road. Never mind, I just made the crossing light in time - despite inconvenient shoes - and I had left in plenty of time anyway. Honestly, I was glad I hadn't arrived sooner, there was such a crowd in the lobby - it was maybe 10 minutes after I arrived that the doors opened. I was lucky to get a seat while I was waiting. And, of course, as with every time I've been here, I forgot to look right on the top of the theatre seats for the seat numbers. Now, I'm sure there were plenty there tonight for the first time - wouldn't you think it'd behove them to tell people that as they're checking their tickets?

It was a snug fit, up in the gallery - but a decent view. We noted some seats "reserved" at the back, and figured that might be because they were right under one of the caption screens, so you weren't supposed to sit on them and spoil the view. Lots of people there tonight seemed just a smidgeon overdressed, which hangs with my theory that they hadn't been before. This was the last night, it seemed, not only for this opera, but of the "Grimeborn" opera festival! Well, glad I caught it.

Started late, of course, waiting for latecomers. And the Pop-Up Opera, as usual, didn't disappoint. A short, comic opera, some nice librettos, beautiful singing, and hilarious captions accompanied the tale of an unfortunate young aristocrat, with nobody to advise him what to do on his wedding night, save his otherwise knowledgeable tutor, who knows nothing about this, it seems! Gosh golly gee, what's a young ingénue to do? Just up their alley - and I really did think the people behind me would bust a gut laughing. Pop-Up Opera are always worth a look. And I believe tomorrow is the last day to get a 30% discount on Eugéne Onegin, playing in November at the Arcola.. you have been told. Dunno how you manage it..

Ironically, the show was shorter than the journey to get there. Or the journey back - even though the bus stop I was supposed to use had a sign saying it was not in use! I think it is, mind.. anyway, I walked the route till I came to the next one. And again, it's great to be home early enough to shop, cook, eat, and blog! Tomorrow is my first Meetup with Up in the Cheap Seats, one of several new groups I've joined to fill the great void left by the sad departure of the Man with the Hat. We're off to see The Tempest, with Simon Russell Beale, at the Barbican - who, unusually, posted my ticket to me. Must remember to bring it. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On Monday, back with Let's Do This for a vintage swing jazz evening at Wilton's.

On Tuesday - well, a member of Up in the Cheap Seats has obviously got a thing for the Camden Fringe Festival, because he's just advertised a whole host of stuff on there! And I've booked most of it.. Tuesday sees two short plays: Beautiful Little Fools, in The Cockpit, and Borders in a Bedroom, in the Tristan Bates Theatre.

Next Wednesday, I had booked free comedy in Greenwich, with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich, and Random London. Then I booked with London Live Comedy and Funzing UK for "Gangster Magic" at The Water Rats. Magic and comedy - sounded interesting. Finally, however, I was saved by London Literary Walks, whose organiser is running a walk that evening on 101 Dalmatians! Honestly, I don't really know what the walk is about - but it has to be better. Mary messaged me about it - for some reason, I didn't get a notification.

On the 10th, the London European Club is off to a contemporary dance performance called Morphed, at the Royal Festival Hall. It's part of the Nordic Matters festival, apparently.

On the 11th, handily enough, Spooky London Pubs (another new group for me - I think!) are hosting a talk on Conan Doyle and the Mysterious World of Light. Handiest of all, it's in the King and Queen - my local! Why, I pass it every day..

And on the 12th, I'm finally back with London Dramatic Arts, for the opening night of Against, with Ben Whishaw, at the Almeida. I'm in the rear stalls - they also have tickets in the front stalls, for a higher price, of course. They're actually also going to see Apologia, with Stockard Channing and Laura Carmichael, earlier in the day, but for a ridiculous price, so I passed on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment