Tuesday 11 July 2017

Opera: La Voix Humaine

For last night, nothing had been appealing - until I tried the Meetup app again, and came across a Meetup group called, attractively, Let's Do This! Quite new - anyway, they organised a trip to see La Voix Humaine, a 40-minute solo opera, performed in English by Opera Up Close. It's in King's Place, which I love. I'd already found it by the time the Man with the Hat took us there, but it was with him I went the last two times: so this would be bittersweet. Lordy if I didn't then discover that it's co-run by a couple of the Man with the Hat's old members! So of course I booked. Great to see the Man with the Hat has left a classical legacy - there are very few Meetup groups doing this sort of thing. And at a discount, yet!

I wisely booked the day off, considering how late I knew I'd get back from Twickenham the night before: then spent the day (as much of it as I was awake) doing the blog I hadn't touched over the weekend. And even with the day off, I was then rushing to get to King's Place in time! They'd said 7:30, with the performance staring at 8:30 - I didn't quite make 7:30, given that I only caught a bus at 7:25. There were a couple of buses I could have taken, but I took the 390, which carries up along York Way, meaning less of a walk - and my shoes were pinching, so that was a consideration. And wouldn't you know it, the stop beside King's Place is actually named for it - despite what Google Maps said. What the hey, I was happy with just having to cross the road.

Into the bar, and they were just inside the door - I hadn't seen the organisers since the Man with the Hat's groups broke up, and it was good to see them again! As it was the other familiar faces, who arrived shortly after. Service was as slow as ever, but we had time for one before we headed downstairs - Hall Two, so unassigned seating. We found ourselves a spare row to the side, so we could all sit together.

The stage consists of a series of wire mesh frames to represent walls between different rooms in the character's flat. When the opera starts, she's lying prone in what I assume is the bedroom - she wakes to answer the phone, then spends the rest of the opera roaming from room to room, with the phone (which has a handily long lead), as she speaks to her lover on the other end - and to an annoying third party that keeps butting in. It's a party line, you see.

One of the organisers asked me afterwards what I'd thought. Ehh.. well, you have to remember it was written in French, by a French composer. And in common with much French cinema, it is highly introspective. No wonder it's less than an hour long - there's only so much you can say about a woman at the end of her tether, at the end of a phone line. So, you know, she expresses distress, she thinks he does't love her, she thinks he's lying to her, then she's afraid to confront him lest she piss him off, she's terrified that he won't ring back when they get cut off.. the opera finally ends as she's beginning to wrap the cord around her neck (spoiler). Yes, beautifully sung - but I wasn't mad about the rather discordant score, and the plot didn't really enthuse me. Reactions among the group were mixed, though - some loved it. Oh, and great timing from the person in our row whose phone went off, just after the singer complained she could hear music on the line!! Two more performances only, next month.

Afterwards, as the Man with the Hat did before, most of us repaired to The Star of Kings, just up the road. I was starving, so made straight for the food menu - wisely, as the kitchen closes at 10, and it was coming on to that. We started off outside, but had to move inside, again at 10, where we took a table down the back. A couple of us had chips - and I really have to recommend the "Ottawa Fries", with maple bacon and pecan. The dollop of sauce, with small bacon pieces (and how they can describe that as vegetarian, I don't know!) that came on top of the fries was delicious! So, we stayed for a couple, and a fine old time was had. Excellent, for my first Meetup with them, and I'll definitely schedule more. In fact, I just booked something with them for next month. More details anon.

The bus stop I needed for my trip home was just down the road - and wouldn't you know, a 390 was sailing towards me as I made for the stop, bidding a quick farewell to Mary as I went. And wouldn't you know, it sailed right past me! Now, I know I didn't have my arm stuck out, but honestly - I was obviously headed for the stop, and that's the only bus that stops there! Blasted drivers, that couldn't be bothered to stop at night. Had to wait 10 minutes for the next - I've complained (again - third time in a week. Anyway, when I got home, it was too late to blog, given that I'm back at work today (boo..).

Tonight started out with yet more free comedy in Hammersmith (!) with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich, Random London, London Live Comedy, Hammersmith & Fulham Friends, and Discover LDN.UK. But then Funzing (London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night) rocked up and saved me, with a talk on Blitzed - Drugs in Nazi Germany. However, over the weekend, Kensington Classical Music advertised - late notice, as ever - a piano concert in the Lansdowne Club; smart dress again! Probably just means no denim. I can walk, which is nice.

Tomorrow, I was looking at free comedy in Greenwich, with London Live Comedy, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith, Wimbledon and Greenwich, and Random London. (I do wonder what's happening with London Literary Walks, who used to have a walk almost every Wednesday over the summer..) Anyway, on Friday, what should happen (over lunch) but that I got an offer of £5 tickets to go see Queen Anne (offer now available only on Thursday). Well now, that had already caught my attention - so now I'm going to that. (The company involved do say not to spread their name around, but since they advertise on the Tube - and have done in the paper - I do think that's highly hypocritical.)

Thursday was more comedy - in Hammersmith - with the Famous Five (aforementioned) groups - Discover LDN.UK twice, as before. But you know, Eleanor did a good job last week of selling upcoming events to us - so instead, I'm going to see The Good Soldier Schwejk - mainly because it's on upstairs at Sands Films, where I've never been. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, more comedy - for £3.60, this time. Tez Ilyas is performing at the Pleasaunce, and I know he's good - saw him in Top Secret once, for free..

Next Tuesday, the U2 tour continues - I fly to Barcelona that day, to see them that night! One of their crazy, one-night-only appearances, on what is a very limited tour. Turns out I'm seeing them at half of all their European concerts for the year! Looking forward to immersing myself in the madness again.

I fly back on the 19th, and that night was - provisionally - booked for more free comedy (quelle surprise). Greenwich, the above three groups. There are some interesting Funzing talks that night, but I've already seen them. And then - why, Eleanor has another event! I listened to a clip of Hanitra, decided I liked her enough, so now I'm booked to see her in Sands Films that night.

The 20th, I booked another Funzing talk (the above two groups). This is a talk about serial killers, as given by a forensic psychologist (Jennifer Rees) that works with the police, and who also gives terrific talks about psychopaths. Highly recommended! She's a terrifically engaging speaker, and looks far too young to be working in such a murky area. Unfortunately, now I've had to cancel - turns out that the much-anticipated first Meetup of the Man with the Hat's other ex-members' group, Love London for Less, is happening that night, so of course I'm headed to that - we're going to the Icebar, where I've never been. Should be interesting. Never mind about the talk - although, despite being on the watchlist for the talk, I received no notice, Helen spotted, over the weekend, that another instance of that talk has been scheduled for next month, and I'm booked for that.

Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend - first to Dublin (from London City airport, a first for me), for U2's (one-and-only!) concert there.. then down to see my mother for a couple of days, flying back on Tuesday.

On the 26th, I had booked free comedy in Greenwich - same groups as before. Then Funzing rode to the rescue, and instead I'm now headed to a Funzing talk entitled "Politics - WTF!" Appropriate, no? Anyway, I booked them on a once-only code "iwantfunzingagain". Or you could try "Funzing30" - both give 30% off, but are time-limited.

On the 27th, free comedy in Hammersmith again. So far.

So, that brings us to Friday 28th July, and it's off to Amsterdam, for my final two U2 concerts of the year (sniff). On Saturday and Sunday. Really, you have no idea of the organisation that went into all of this, back in January..! I'm literally headed to half of their European concerts on this very limited tour.

I fly back on the 31st, and saw an interesting Funzing talk advertised for that night - "Are We Living in the Matrix?" Well, I'm well overdue a free talk, with all of them that I've booked (every fourth free), so I contacted them to get a code to get this for free. Still waiting..! Despairing of them, I finally booked it on one of their limited 50% deals over the weekend.

And on the 1st, I finally get to see Jennifer Rees again, when she's giving a talk on The Psychology of Criminals. With dim sum, great! (Had to stick with a 10% discount for this one - Fun_Day10 or Fun_Week10 are the ones you want for that.) And it's walking distance from me for once, in Covent Garden. Excellent.. and Helen has sensibly decided to come too. On which occasion she'll deliver all the stuff I couldn't fit in my bag, coming back this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment