Monday 22 May 2017

Plays: Titus Andronicus & Richard II

Well, for once, London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) advertised something I couldn't say no to for yesterday. One of the group was directing a play in Northampton, and the organiser had organised a trip up to see both that, and another play the same day. She mentioned what train she'd be on, and I booked a cheap, advance ticket for the same train. And photocopied the bit of the Rough Guide that talks about Northampton - it wasn't much.

Imagine my chagrin when she messaged me the night before, to say that she'd be delayed and taking a later train. Not only was I now getting up unnecessarily early, but I'd paid extra to be on that train! Could have got a cheaper ticket for a later one. Never mind - the ticket wasn't refundable, and I dragged myself out of bed yesterday morning. And ended up galloping up the road to Euston, of course, and getting lost on the approach - too many buildings crowding around it. In the door with six minutes to spare - collected my ticket from the huge bank of hard-to-miss red ticket machines to the side, and made the train and took a seat with two minutes to spare. I was still catching my breath when we pulled out.

Sunglasses were required all the way - it was a gloriously sunny day. First stop was Watford Junction - the outer limit of Oyster card validity in this direction, and home of Harry Potter tours. Then Hemel Hempstead, where a group of hikers got off, complete with map. And after that, we were properly into the countryside, rolling green hills dotted with sheep and cows, tree-filled valleys. We rolled into Northampton just after 11.



More photos here. Nice station toilets, BTW - I suppose that's a feature of having less footfall than London stations. With a couple of hours to kill, I headed into town, and was immediately hungry - no breakfast, you see. And then it occurred to me that it wasn't yet 12 - and on a Sunday, that meant that few eateries would be open! Oh no... well, I passed a couple of places that were open but didn't appeal much, and continued on, following my nose, to the square, and the marvellously ornate guildhall.



Sadly, it's not open on Sundays. Happily, it has an Ask Italian just across the road from it, and they open at 11. I was the first in, and got a table by the window, overlooking the guildhall.



And my, was that brunch needed! The pinot grigio was a bit insipid, and they could have cleaned the carafe in which they served it - but the food was delicious, the service friendly and efficient, even as the restaurant filled up. I was well fed - not that I'd make a habit of it; it wasn't what you'd call cheap.

Fortified, I might have explored more, but the group organiser had said she'd meet me at the café at Delapré Abbey around 2, so, since I intended to walk there, I set out.



About 20 minutes got me there. After a long walk down the impressive, straight, tree-lined drive, I followed my nose to the café. Sadly, the café didn't have anything I wanted (I didn't fancy more wine just yet), so I just sat outside, in the pleasantly summery afternoon air, until she finally arrived, about 25 minutes late. Typically. I mean, if her train, like mine, arrived at 6 minutes past the hour, what was she doing, saying she'd meet me about 2?! She'd got a taxi from the station, it seemed, and we sat and chatted until it was time to go in. With no direction signs, we had to ask someone to direct us - it was that impressive, stone entrance we'd passed, flanked by lanterns.

We took our seats in the courtyard - only later realising that the seats were soaking wet! A bit of a wipe before the customers came in wouldn't have gone amiss. Anyway, this was a Shakespearian double-bill by acting students from the University of Northampton, as we discovered from the free programmes, distributed once they'd checked our names off the list.

First up was Titus Andronicus. Now, I have to admit, I've never liked this one - I still consider it gratuitously violent. Seems he was playing to the crowd of the day. Well, I mean, aside from the many deaths, we have a young woman whose husband is murdered before her - she's then gang-raped over his corpse, and has her hair cut off, her hands cut off and her tongue cut out - doubtless to stop her identifying her attackers. Her brothers, found with her husband's corpse, are then executed for his murder, and their father (Titus) is told that he can save them by cutting off his own hand. So he does, and sends it to the emperor - only to have it sent contemptuously back to him, along with the heads of his dead sons.

Indeed. And I hear people fainted at the Globe production of it! But I have to say, I was impressed by this version. A strong influence from Game of Thrones, as usual, I think - well, it has given young actors a strong framework on which to base battle scenes, and warrior behaviour in general. There was fake blood, but not too much - and I found the acting of the young lady playing Titus' daughter, Lavinia, particularly affecting. The severed hands were portrayed by wrapping the actors' fists in red-soaked socks, and it was fun watching the one playing Titus, quickly trying to get the sock on, in the bucket in which he was supposed to have cut his hand off, before anyone noticed. The emergence of the severed heads, in Waitrose bags, also generated some laughs. Oh, and I got to play the tree under which some treasure is buried. Surreal.

Back to the café at the interval and afterwards, and more chatting while we awaited the arrival of the director for Richard II. Most of the day, actually, was spent discussing the loss of the Man with the Hat, and the gap it'll leave in Meetup. As big a shock as Brexit - and with more of a direct effect on us. And what other Meetup groups there are to join - consensus was, there's a lot of weird stuff out there! The day stayed gloriously sunny, but when the breeze turned cold we moved inside, seeing a room leading off the café that had comfy, leather chairs. And a chess set - but she wasn't tempted. Much use was made of the toilets, downstairs from the café, throughout the day.

It was some time before the second play started, and getting cold - we delayed going out for as long as possible, but finally needed to, if we were to get decent seats. We managed to score a couple of seats at the end of the front row. Staging and costumes for this one were interesting - very steampunk! A young woman played the title role - plenty of gender-switching being the norm - and great use was made of the windows surrounding the courtyard, where actors speaking through windows emphasised the isolation of the imprisoned king. In what is a very wordy play, the flow was nicely broken by sporadic use of interpretive dance, which helped to convey the sense of depression and impending doom of the king's party.

The audience was packed with the casts' family and friends, who milled around afterwards, congratulating them. And our organiser wanted the loo - but had a round to get into it, as the café was now closed! Turned out she could get to the bathroom straight from the courtyard. Our director companion had promised us a lift back to the station, but given that he had tidying up to do, and we didn't want to miss our train, we decided to walk. And a brisk walk and good workout it was! A slightly longer train journey, with more stops, meant I wasn't home till after midnight - and with my phone off, as the battery was nearly down, I had missed no fewer than five calls from my mother. Needed bed, but needed food more, so it was very late by the time I finally got to sleep.

Tonight, I'm off to Ugly Lies the Bone, at the Lyttleton. Which does sound interesting. Walking gingerly, with the blisters I picked up yesterday.

Tomorrow, I'd booked with Funzing UK for an Infinitease Burlesque Show. In Leytonstone, so if anything better came up in the meantime, I was up for it! That's a terribly long way out. Anyway, the other day I got an email about cheap tickets - apparently there's a burlesque festival on - in Hackney, which is a bit closer. And a lot cheaper. So now I'm going to that instead - Funzing can be cancelled up to 48 hours in advance without penalty.

Wednesday was supposed to be the Man with the Hat's last event, but he had to cancel. Instead, I discovered that the UL Alumni Association (UL is my alma mater) is holding a talk on Brexit that night. And I was going to go to that - but lo, Funzing came up with something better! So then I was going to Urban Legends of London. But do you know, I completely forgot to mention that the World Music Meetup then advertised a Brazilian concert in Sands Film Studios - adore that venue. So that's now where I'm going that day! and barring the proverbial accident, fire, or flood, that's final.

On Thursday, Crick Crack is back - at Crouch End Arthouse again, unfortunately. It's just so far! Still going, of course - the more especially because it's Michael Harvey! He's worth the trip. Then I'm back to Ireland for the Bank Holiday weekend again - and taking the bank holiday, this time!

On the 30th, LDAM are at the Olivier to see Common. So am I.. on a cheap Travelex ticket, which I booked direct with the venue. So I'll be avoiding them, since they don't appreciate that.

On the 31st, free comedy in Hammersmith was up again (temporarily), with Random London, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, London Live Comedy, and London Art Comedy & Culture Lovers (an offshoot of Ken's Events). But yay, it's now been replaced by another Funzing event, with London for a Tenner or Less - a Luxury Chocolate eveningHelen's popping along, too. The code Fun_Day10 got us a 10% discount.

On 1 June, I eschewed the free comedy in Hammersmith for the Ghosts & Executions Tour, with London for a Tenner or Less - even though that guide wasn't great the last time, so I cancelled this previously, he's better than that free comedy! Oh, and the code WELLBEING30 got me 30% off this. How it qualifies as "well-being" I don't know, but I'm not complaining!

Then I'm off down to Helen for the weekend - she told me about this Living History Festival, and I said yes please!

The 5th, I'm back to Soho Theatre with the Crick Crack Club, for something called The Frog Princess - PunkedBen Haggerty, the mc and co-founder of the club, told us the other night that there's going to be a full punk band - goodness, who would've thought that Sally Pomme Clayton had a hidden punk side!


And the 6th June, I'm with the London European Club, to see the Images Ballet Company at the Arts Depot.

No comments:

Post a Comment