Monday 22 May 2017

Play: Ugly Lies the Bone

Nothing on Meetup when I was looking for something for today - I suspect that's going to be an ever more regular feature from now on. It was Time Out that advertised Ugly Lies the Bone, a play at the National. Fair enough, and I booked - got a nice, cheap seat down in the front row.

Without Meetup to entice me, of course, I left it quite tight, and could hear the warning buzzer go, to indicate the imminent start of the show, as I neared the end of the bridge. (Walking is nearly as quick as public transport for this trip.) And I cursed these traditional theatres, that still make you pick up physical tickets - most places I go now have e-ticketing, and generally just let you show it on your phone. Less waste of paper, too!

Well, I knew I was in the Lyttleton stalls, which meant no stairs to climb at least - and as I entered, there was the conveniently moved box office. I gasped out what I'd come to see, and my name - and being so close to time, he didn't bother to ask for ID, just gave me my ticket and waved me straight on. Of course, my seat would be at the other side.. when I went in, it was just a few steps down to the front row, and of course my seat was easy to spot, being the only one remaining empty. I greatly disappointed a friend of the people sitting beside me, who had a seat somewhere else, but was hanging around in the obvious hope that the occupant of my seat wouldn't arrive, and he could sit there. Too bad..

So much for the two-minute warning as I entered - I was sat there, waiting for curtain-up, for at least five minutes! This was a captioned performance, which was handy during the opening song ("Johnny Comes Marching Home"), as I could hardly understand a word of the accent that was singing it. See, this is the story of a returned war veteran, badly injured, who has trouble recovering from scars both physical and mental, and indeed has trouble re-integrating into the life she knew. So she embarks on a revolutionary new virtual reality treatment.

It's a stunning performance by Kate Fleetwood, and indeed the whole cast is excellent. The stage itself is mesmerising, with a curved feature meant to suggest that the floor is an extension of the walls - the furniture moves in and out on tracks as required, and a spectacular light display encompasses everything and everyone on stage - particularly for the VR sequences. However, there's absolutely nothing novel in the plot, which is a shame - somehow, with such a futuristic element included, you'd kind of hope for an interesting story point. Nope, pretty standard really. But very watchable - and due credit to the makeup artist who made her prosthetic scar tissue. Showing on limited dates until 6th June - sold out for the last matinĂ©e.

90 minutes straight through - I do like it when I get my night back! On the way back, someone was whistling Waterloo Sunset - and with good cause:




Tomorrow, I'd booked with Funzing UK for an Infinitease Burlesque Show. In Leytonstone, so if anything better came up in the meantime, I was up for it! That's a terribly long way out. Anyway, the other day I got an email about cheap tickets - apparently there's a burlesque festival on - in Hackney, which is a bit closer. And a lot cheaper. So now I'm going to that instead - Funzing can be cancelled up to 48 hours in advance without penalty.

Wednesday was supposed to be the Man with the Hat's last event, but he had to cancel. Instead, I discovered that the UL Alumni Association (UL is my alma mater) is holding a talk on Brexit that night. And I was going to go to that - but lo, Funzing came up with something better! So then I was going to Urban Legends of London. But do you know, I completely forgot to mention that the World Music Meetup then advertised a Brazilian concert in Sands Film Studios - adore that venue. So that's now where I'm going that day! and barring the proverbial accident, fire, or flood, that's final.

On Thursday, Crick Crack is back - at Crouch End Arthouse again, unfortunately. It's just so far! Still going, of course - the more especially because it's Michael Harvey! He's worth the trip. Then I'm back to Ireland for the Bank Holiday weekend again - and taking the bank holiday, this time!

On the 30th, LDAM are at the Olivier to see Common. So am I.. on a cheap Travelex ticket, which I booked direct with the venue. So I'll be avoiding them, since they don't appreciate that.

On the 31st, free comedy in Hammersmith was up again (temporarily), with Random LondonFree Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and GreenwichLondon Live Comedy, and London Art Comedy & Culture Lovers (an offshoot of Ken's Events). But yay, it's now been replaced by another Funzing event, with London for a Tenner or Less - a Luxury Chocolate eveningHelen's popping along, too. The code Fun_Day10 got us a 10% discount.

On 1 June, I eschewed the free comedy in Hammersmith for the Ghosts & Executions Tour, with London for a Tenner or Less - even though that guide wasn't great the last time, so I cancelled this previously, he's better than that free comedy! Oh, and the code WELLBEING30 got me 30% off this. How it qualifies as "well-being" I don't know, but I'm not complaining!

Then I'm off down to Helen for the weekend - she told me about this Living History Festival, and I said yes please!

The 5th, I'm back to Soho Theatre with the Crick Crack Club, for something called The Frog Princess - PunkedBen Haggerty, the mc and co-founder of the club, told us the other night that there's going to be a full punk band - goodness, who would've thought that Sally Pomme Clayton had a hidden punk side!

And the 6th June, I'm with the London European Club, to see the Images Ballet Company at the Arts Depot.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete