Wednesday 31 May 2017

Play: Common & Taste Tripper Luxury Chocolate Evening

Hello there.. it's been a busy return to London, after a v relaxing bank holiday, during which I did nothing so much as sleep! and v welcome was that rest. So anyway, yesterday was London Dramatic Arts Meetup's (LDAM) trip to Common. And they were down in the front stalls, @£35. And when I checked the National's website, behold, they had those £15 tickets available - you'd have to sit in the back row of the circle, but here, that's just fine. However, LDAM doesn't approve of such doings, thinks it "undermines the group", in a (I now believe deleted) post on their website. So naturally, I did what I always do on such occasions: booked a cheap ticket, with the expectation of avoiding them (it's a big enough place).

Ah me, I spend my whole life rushing, it seems. The office is walking distance from the National, but, you know, I was starving.. and a couple of slices of toast left me a bit late to walk. I'd save five minutes by Tube - Northern Line it was, Leicester Square to Embankment, according to Google Maps. Now, that would leave me on the wrong side of the bridge - I did consider continuing to Waterloo, but given that I've gotten lost on the walk from there to the National before, and the only entrance to the National for now is on the riverfront, I decided to cross the bridge, obediently.

And as I panted my way across, with the minutes inching towards showtime, I remarked to myself, as always, how wide this blasted river is. As I neared the theatre, they were ringing the bell.. This was in the Olivier, so I dived for the lift, emerged on Level 2, gasped out my name at the box office. Cue a pause for breath as the man searched for my booking. Ok, there it was. "You can take the lift, or the stairs all the way up." I took the stairs - had forgotten there were two levels to climb. Arrived to a helpful usher, who explained to me that they'd just started, and it'd now be 15 minutes before I could take my seat. "Time to catch my breath!" I smiled. Seemed the sound on the telly that they were suggesting I watch it on was on the blink - "Never mind", he said, "it's all swearing anyway!" But then another usher suggested that she could take me in to where I could stand at the back of the auditorium for those 15 minutes. Yes please - and in I went.

..to a scene from The Wicker Man, anonymous figures in straw masks cavorting around the stage in a pagan scene. To cut what turns out to be a very long story short, this is a new play, set in England in 1809 - when common land was being enclosed, to enrich the estates of the landed gentry, and ensure that all common folk were working for them, rather than independently.

Honestly, nobody really comes well out of this. The gentry are, as you would expect, degenerates - as our main character explains at one point, either idiots or beasts. The common folk - well, I refer you to the Wicker Man scene, which is repeated later on. One of the main characters, early on in the play, sacrifices her favourite horse, to try to ensure a better harvest. They're shown as mired in superstition and prejudice, even as they're constantly under the heel of their masters in the big house. (A good turn from the Irish labourers in it though, and a lovely rendition of Trasna na dTonnta.)

Enter the most uncommon main character. Boy, she's a doozy! Present almost constantly from start to finish, she started as one of the common folk, came into money, and is now accepted by the gentry: but she belongs to neither camp. Both sides alternately court her and shun her. She's witty, she's feisty, she's a woman ahead of her time - and she's an absolute joy to watch. Love her at the beginning, loathe her at the end; she's the embodiment of Progress, if you like, and she's unstoppable, despite repeated attempts by different characters.

The play is performed in something like the language of the time - not that I'm an expert. And that can be hard going, betimes - but it is interesting. Now, I looked up the running time before I went - and even yesterday, the opening day, they knew nothing more than "TBC". I was stunned, when I looked at my watch before leaving, to discover that the thing had run for over three hours! including an interval. No wonder my neck got stiff, looking down from the height at which I was sat. Still, to its credit, it is fascinating - there was a brief period that I thought flagged, and some people didn't return after the interval, but hey. And the only bit I regretted not being down the front for was near the front, when he got his willy out. Purely out of professional interest, you understand!

Very interesting. Recommended - but be prepared for a long night. Runs until 5 August - limited availability up to mid-July. Afterwards, I took the stairs down - and blimey, if I didn't spot the LDAM organiser, in conversation with someone, on the next level down! Cue me dashing for the lifts again. I'd normally have stopped by the office, but it was now late enough that I just said I'd take the Tube straight home from Waterloo. Mind you, on the way, it occurred to me that she takes the same line.. still, I stopped in to Marks & Spencer in the station, to buy some dinner before the 11 o' clock cut-off for wine purchase, and I think that's probably how I missed her.

And so to today, most of which I spent doing the film list - as of now, that's the most attractive idea I've got for next Wednesday. Tonight, free comedy in Hammersmith was up again (temporarily), with Random LondonFree Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and GreenwichLondon Live Comedy, and London Art Comedy & Culture Lovers (an offshoot of Ken's Events). But yay, it was then replaced by a Funzing event, with London for a Tenner or Less (now defunct) - a Luxury Chocolate eveningHelen popped along, too. The code Fun_Day10 got us a 10% discount.

The venue being just off of Sloane Square, I suggested we eat in Côte beforehand - good, reasonably priced food, friendly service, and convenient. Leaving work early, I got there first, and had no trouble getting a table, at about 5pm on a Wednesday - by the time we left, after 6, the place was buzzing! My usual, fougasse and steak frites - which arrived pretty much simultaneously - and she had a cheese board and cod goujons: all but the fougasse available on the à la carte. A rather yummy bottle of wine from the Pays d' Oc, and we were well fed. We didn't have time for dessert - but hey, we didn't really need it!



A short and brisk walk down, then, to Artisan du Chocolat, where we arrived slightly late, but no-one was counting - the event started nearly half an hour after the advertised time. She ticked our names off a list, and took our emails. And we had time to mingle, as the prosecco flowed freely, glass after glass, poured by a roving man with a bottle. And so we were given a few samples to taste, then let free on the display cabinet, to have as many as we liked! Ooh-err.. I'll say this though, they were filling.. let's see: we were given three chocolates to sample, I think, and then I had - six more? and was stuffed. Maybe it was the prosecco. 10% off purchases on the night (rather than the advertised 15%, but never mind), and a free bag of chocolate pearls too - I bought a couple of things, but sadly, the chocolate of the night for me was the apple and cinnamon, which must have been a new flavour - I didn't see it on the shelves. A very good night though! And great to see Helen again. Pity about that group closing, but they only advertised Funzing - and they do quite a good job of advertising themselves.



Tomorrow, I eschewed the free comedy in Hammersmith for the Ghosts & Executions Tour, with London for a Tenner or Less - even though that guide wasn't great the last time, so I cancelled this previously, he's better than that free comedy! Funzing again, of course. Oh, and the code WELLBEING30 got me 30% off this. How it qualifies as "well-being" I don't know, but I'm not complaining! ..but last Sunday week, one of the Man with the Hat's old group got in touch, and now a half-dozen of us have organised to get together in the Swan tomorrow - we'd hate to lose touch. Not including said Man with the Hat, mind you - sadly, he's now shunning all contact with us. Hey, I know he has other commitments - but I don't think it's wise to cut himself off completely - and so abruptly. And we'll miss him. I have a late meeting, so shall probably be slightly late to this: but I'll do my best.

Then I'm off down to Helen for the weekend - she told me about this Living History Festival, and I said yes please!

Monday, I'm back to Soho Theatre with the Crick Crack Club, for something called The Frog Princess - PunkedBen Haggerty, the mc and co-founder of the club, told us the other night that there's going to be a full punk band - goodness, who would've thought that Sally Pomme Clayton had a hidden punk side!

And on Tuesday, I'm with the London European Club, to see the Images Ballet Company at the Arts Depot.

Wednesday, as I say, at the moment looks like a film. Watch this space..!

No comments:

Post a Comment