Thursday 27 April 2017

Walk: Sloane Ranger

Our weekly Wednesday walk yesterday - London Literary Walks went on the Sloane Ranger. Unfortunately, rain was promised - he's scheduled a repeat of the walk next month, but a number of us said we'd risk last night anyway. And as time passed, the forecast said that the rain would clear up by evening. Sure enough, after some quite heavy bouts of rain in the afternoon - and even some thunder - the evening cleared to brilliant sunshine.

I was delayed a bit just as I was leaving the office, and might have taken the Tube - except that when I got outside, the bus was literally yards from the stop, stuck in traffic! Nah, that was too tempting - I hopped across the road, through the stationary traffic, and was at the stop and waiting when it got there. Of course, that same traffic meant we were moving a bit slowly, at least for a while: but I still got to Sloane Square in good time.

As I consulted my map app to se which way to go, I ran into another group member, who was relieved to have someone to show her the way! And we made our way unerringly to the meeting point, at the Fox & Hounds pub. Tucked away on the corner, it's a teeny tiny place - we squeezed past the hanging baskets, and in the little door, to the single, narrow room beyond, and found the group down the back. There wasn't room for us to sit, but we were ok, and there was just time for a drink, and to admire the artwork in this cosy place:



More photos here.

And soon enough, we were off on an exploration of the posh streets of Belgravia. We came across some posh shops:



..but the main focus of the walk was the various fascinating residents (past and present) of the area. F'r instance, did you know that Christopher Lee and Boris Karloff, of all people, were next-door neighbours on Cadogan Square? We also stopped at the house of John Barry, which was used as M's house in Skyfall. With all of these film connections - and more - it was handy that, as well as our knowledgeable guide, we had a film buff along, who was able to fill us in on even more details. And the details were many - Jane Austen lived here for a while, with her clergyman brother, who provided the inspiration for many of her characters. And Barry Gibb still lives here.. hope we didn't disturb him as we chatted outside his door!

Another fascinating walk - the only drawback was the encroaching cold; by the end of the evening, our exuberance had dampened down a bit, as we shivered along and wished to be indoors. Most shivered their way straight home at the end, but a few of us hardy souls repaired to The Antelope, where we warmed up, and they were unwise enough to allow me to wax lyrical about horror films and New Zealand - two of my favourite topics.



And so home, finally, in the bitter cold - I have never before been so glad of my overheated building! Tonight, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walks, Talks and Treasure HuntsTFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Handily, I have no meetings scheduled for today, so we have time to eat beforehand - I'll head off a bit early, to meet her at Waterloo, where we'll eat; the event is at Green Park, but there's little that's cheap to eat nearby, and what there is, is crowded. Hopefully we'll be fairly warm and dry, underground. Then back to Ireland for the weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for Monday, I've booked The Ferryman, with London Dramatic Arts (LDAM), at the Royal Court. We passed it last night, in fact - the film buff is headed there too, on a different day.

On Tuesday, London Speaks SessionsLDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction? One I'm unlikely to cancel.

On Wednesday, London Literary Walks is off around Gloucester Road.

Next Thursday, Let's Do London - for less! is off on its last scheduled trip to the opera house - the occasion is Mayerling, my favourite ballet, and is sold out by now, I see. We have tickets in both slips and amphitheatre, as usual. The clock is counting down on remaining Meetups for this most excellent group - we're already feeling the pinch of its events being scheduled less frequently.

On 5 May, I'd bought a ticket to Nell Gwynn, at the Globe - then it turned out that LDAM is going on the same night! (Buy Your Own Ticket.) As the organiser said, it must be fate.. it'll certainly be nice to have company. Odd venue for them, though - I know the organiser doesn't like it.

And on 6 May, I'm joining the London European Club for a classical concert at the Royal Festival Hall. Oh joy, they're playing Beethoven's 9th..

No comments:

Post a Comment