Tuesday 11 April 2017

Play: The White Devil

Meetup is pretty dead these days, in general. So I was left to my own devices last night - and my own devices took me to the Wanamaker Playhouse, for a Jacobean play called The White Devil. Love that venue.. and for all that the pit seats were described as "restricted view" - rubbish! I've sat there before, and there isn't a better seat in the house. No backs to most of them, mind - but I was happy to take one.

We had an evening meeting, but my coworker obligingly scheduled it a bit earlier, considering my need to get out - and it finished quickly anyway. I might just about have managed a bus - but my shoes were pinching, I didn't fancy the walk to the bus stop - and besides, it would have left me a bit tight, even had all the timings gone to plan. Then again, you can't depend on the traffic at that hour - no, Tube it was, the Jubilee Line less busy than on nights when there's something on in the O2.

My, all the times I've researched the walk from Southwark Station, just in case I hadn't time to take the bus - but this was the first time I actually had to do it. Mind you, I was glad to have GPS tracking my progress - it looked somehow different from Streetview. Got to the venue with 20 minutes to spare, and hit the cafe - I was starving. And what appealed was their "mixed-vegetable" soup (mostly pumpkin, it seemed).  There's a £5 minimum on card purchases, but the wine cost that, anyway - I was given a choice of Italian or Spanish, and had the Spanish: and an excellent choice it was, too! Cutlery on the tables, bench-style seating. With the size of the bowl, I didn't think I'd get it finished in time - and it was eye-waveringly hot: but it was delicious, and wouldn't you know, I reached the bottom of the bowl with five minutes to spare.

The theatre was in darkness by the time I went in - indeed, being a true, candlelit performance, it never did get that bright (other venues could take note!). And heavens, they're now allowing photographs to be taken (when the actors aren't on stage, of course). It was too dark then, but I had fun at the interval:





Ah, lovely, isn't it? And during the interval, we got to watch the stage hands cleaning the old wax from the candelabras, replacing the candles and relighting them. Gorgeous, but hard work.

Now, this play is by Webster, and wouldn't you know, it's apparently based on a true story. Rife with the sordid wheelings and dealings of Renaissance Rome, poison featuring heavily (the Italians of the time being notorious for that), it centres on the affair between two aristocrats, both married to others, both planning to kill their spouses. They scheme, they spit hatred at their enemies, and in the second act, they get their comeuppance. (Spoiler): this play has more deaths than the bloodiest of Shakespearian tragedies, but I suppose that's pretty realistic for the time and place we're talking about.

It looks absolutely gorgeous, of course. The costumes are a modern take on period clothing, which I think works well, and the masked ball at the start put me in mind of Eyes Wide Shut. It's acted well, in an enthusiastic style that someone behind me thought was a bit too modern for the material - as he remarked, this would make it more comprehensible to modern audiences. Well, I wasn't around in Renaissance times, but I imagine the gestures wouldn't have been hugely different - and as in any translation, the spirit of the thing is more important than reproducing it verbatim. Speaking of which, the language is original, and could prove tough going at times - most particularly for the poor sign language interpreter, up in the musicians' gallery! As my opinionated neighbour said, how does she manage the Jacobean language? and who can see her up there, anyway? Tricky one.

It's a jolly, bawdy affair, designed to expose the hypocrisies of those who paint themselves as whiter-than-white. It's sweet - there was a young lady just in front of me, who was engrossed in it; I believe she was a bit simple. At the wedding scene at the start of the second act, whom did one of the actors pick out to dance with him, and make a fuss of? Yes, our thrilled young lady. A lovey gesture, and I think it made her night - despite her jumping at all the loud noises throughout, and having to turn away when people started dying. Overall, this play is maybe a combination of a too-complicated script and a too-simple plot for modern audiences, but it's considered a masterpiece of its time, and worth a look if you're into Renaissance drama. Remaining shows tonight and Thursday (limited availability), and Sunday's is sold out.

Bus home, which involved crossing the bridge - a cold walk, but a beautiful one:



And my trip back to Tottenham Court Road (as close as I could get at that time of night, but close enough), is listed as one of the capital's scenic bus routes:



Tonight, I got a cheap ticket to the Caine and Kane comedy show, in Brixton. However, when Funzing (courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night) advertised a talk on Exploring the Mind of a Psychopath, I was intrigued, cancelled the first and booked this instead. I tried a couple of Funzing codes, and EnjoyFunzing10 worked, to get me 10% off. Also, thank goodness it isn't in blasted Cafe 1001 this time! No, this one I can probably walk to. Assuming this evening's meetings don't run on too long! The title caused some intrigue in the office..

Tomorrow, I'm with London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) to see Don Juan in Soho, with David Tennant, in Wyndham's. Just down Charing Cross Road - nice! There's another London Literary Walk that day, and with a couple of my friends going - but I'll have to pass, I do want to see this! Also, the LDAM organiser has just arranged for us to meet beforehand in Fumo, just down the road. And afterwards, it's back to Brown's, as usual.

Then I'm back to Ireland for Easter - on Friday, my mother and I are off to La Bohème, at the University Concert Hall.

Next Tuesday, back in London, and back with Funzing - London Speaks Sessions, LDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less, for a talk on the Science of Paranormal Activity. Unless I get a better offer, in time - it'd have to be a good one, I'm interested in this!

On the 19th, London Literary Walks is off down Brick Lane - and so am I.

On the 20th, I had my usual placeholder of free comedy in Hammersmith - courtesy of Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy. Of course - much like Funzing - I usually end up cancelling these, when something better comes up. And lo and behold, it did - Walking Victorian London is off to see Six Islington Squares. Does sound better - costs £12, but I haven't been charged yet.

Ditto the comedy on the 21st - or I may go to the cinema that day. As usual, watch this space..!

On the 22nd, I'm off to see the Naked House Cleaner! Venue to be revealed just the day before.. ooh!

On the 23rd, I'm on a walk of Hampstead Village Highlights, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts. Be good exercise, leading up to my own sponsored walk in September, in aid of Cats Protection.. Helen and I are going as Dick Whittington and his cat. She's the cat.

The 24th, a summery treat! The Man with the Hat is taking both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! to the Globe (ah, it's been too long..). For one night only, the Comedy Store Players will regale us with Shakespeare-inspired improv. As usual, London for Less than a Tenner standing in the yard, Let's Do London - for less! in lower gallery seats. Which is where I go - couldn't take standing for that long. Better savour this trip - he only has four more events scheduled thereafter, three of which I'm going to, with no word on whether he'll continue longterm. And if he doesn't (Heaven forbid!), that'll leave a huge, hat-shaped hole in my life..

The 25th, London European Club again - it'll have been a while! They're off to an informal evening of classical music, in Peckham.

The 26th, London Literary Walks is doing the Sloane Ranger.

The 27th, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts. TFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Then back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for 1 May, I've booked The Ferryman, with LDAM, at the Royal Court.


And 2 May, those same three Funzing groups have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment