Saturday 15 April 2017

Opera: La Boheme

Back to Ireland for Easter. Happy chocolate bunny time, as they say! And isn't it lovely that the spring opera at the University Concert Hall was scheduled to coincide with that, taking place on Good Friday, of all days..

A dry day - the only one in Ireland annually, apart from Christmas Day: so you couldn't buy alcohol. I considered smuggling some wine along with us, but decided it wasn't really worth the trouble. When we entered the bar at the Castletroy Park Hotel, it was obvious there was 
something different - it was as deserted as I've seen it! There were a couple of people drinking what looked like alcohol, but they must have been residents (there are some exemptions to the rule). At least it meant there was little trouble getting seating! or service.

We had our usuals - soup and a stirfry for me, salmon for my mother. This time, tap water for me (in an interestingly slanted jug), tea for her. She proclaimed her salmon nice - unfortunately, my bad restaurant run was continuing! It seems that alcohol wasn't the only thing missing from my meal - they seemed to be skimping on the flavour as well. I'm no cook (when would I have time?!), so I don't know what was lacking - but both soup and stirfry were curiously, and unusually, bland. (The bread that came with the soup was nice.) I was glad to finish, and we skipped dessert.. although we were quite early, the desserts here tend to be fiddly affairs. And I noted that the price was still high enough, despite us only having had two mains, one starter and a pot of tea - it's not the cheapest, here.

And so over to the concert hall, whose car park was already, unfortunately, pretty full. I let my mother off at the door - she can't walk far - and secured parking as close as possible. Then we headed in, and up to the cafe - plenty of seating, although not on the sofas she prefers. And, of course, no alcohol - although they had wheeled out someone to manage the bar they open for concert hall events; he stood forlorn and neglected behind a couple of displays of chocolate. Instead, I fancied an ice cream, and headed over to that stand. And after some unmerciful whining of instruments, drifting from the concert hall - they were practicing - they opened the doors, a bit earlier than usual.

We had booked quite central seats, and the stage setting was quite impressive, I thought - there isn't any curtain here, so you get to see everything from the get-go:



(Mind you, their garret does look rather open to the elements, here..)

This was a production of La Boheme, which is my favourite opera. However, this was also an Ellen Kent production, as always in this venue - and that is not my favourite opera company. And sure enough, I've seen far better productions of La Boheme than this. Now, to be fair, the stage sets were good - although lordy, they did take their time about the change in scenery between the first two acts, when they didn't have a proper interval, and of course, with no curtain, we could see exactly what they were doing!

A few things combine to make this such a great opera: the fun scenes where the students are bantering together, the tragic and sudden death scene, leading to an abrupt ending (spoiler!).. and primarily, the gorgeous score. The last time I saw this, several of the scenes moved me to tears - and indeed, I have to give credit to Musetta, who played her part to a T. (And to her little dog, so popular with audience  and cast alike, and that my mother remarked was very calm, amidst all the attention.)

But oh, I could have wept with frustration for the performance of Rodolfo. Great voice, but as wooden an actor as the set behind him. It wasn't such an issue after the first act - when he's trying to act cold anyway, and when he doesn't play such a role in the last act. But my, in the first act, when he's supposed to be a passionate poet, falling in love with Mimi - it destroyed the whole act for me! Not the whole opera, and I did shed a tear at the very end - but what a disappointment, considering other productions I've seen. Ah well, typical Ellen Kent.

Had to be in bed early last night, to take the doggie to the groomer today. And doesn't she now look lovely! Afterwards, we headed to the Abbey Tavern, as usual - where we were lucky to get one of the last parking spots, ahead of a large funeral to be held there this evening. I had one of my usual dishes, the steak - and what a treat! Some meals are, in themselves, a celebration - and with perfectly cooked steak, perfectly singed onions and mushrooms, and perfectly crisp roast potatoes with fluffy innards - this was one such. Truly, it's made my weekend.

Finally, to Mass - and Easter Saturday services involve the lighting of the paschal fire, to symbolise Christ's rising from the dead. Wisely, what with local weather conditions, this is generally done indoors, in front of the altar. And it had been set up, in some container housed in a wok, sat on a table. However, the poor chap charged with doing it couldn't seem to get it to his liking, and as he continued to fiddle with it, it veered from shooting flames high into the air (a tricky thing to light the paschal candle from!), to billowing smoke upwards instead. As someone behind me remarked, he wouldn't have liked to be sitting in the balcony. As someone else remarked dryly, "What DID we do long ago..?" And as the priest remarked wryly, when the bit with the fire was over, it had been safely extinguished, and the church retained a slightly smoky demeanour - "I was assured it wouldn't smoke.."

Safely back, with no lasting damage from smoke inhalation, I'm headed back to London on Monday, and on Tuesday back with Funzing London Speaks SessionsLDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less, for a talk on the Science of Paranormal Activity. Unless I get a better offer, in time - it'd have to be a good one, I'm interested in this! Be nice if I got a stamp on my loyalty card - I didn't at the last one!

Wednesday, London Literary Walks is off down Brick Lane - and so am I. There'll be a few familiar faces at that - be great to see them again!

Thursday, I had my usual placeholder of free comedy in Hammersmith - courtesy of Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy. Of course - much like Funzing - I usually end up cancelling these, when something better comes up. And lo and behold, it did - Walking Victorian London is off to see Six Islington Squares. Did sound better, so I cancelled the comedy - the walk costs £12, but I wasn't charged on RSVPing. So, when I later got an email from ShowFilmFirst, advertising £2 tickets to a concert - Nancy & Beth - at the Royal Festival Hall.. well, that sounded better again, and now I'm going to that. Stars Megan Mullally, from Will & Grace.

Ditto the comedy on Friday - or I may go to the cinema that day. As usual, watch this space..!

Next Saturday, I'm off to see the Naked House Cleaner! Venue to be revealed just the day before.. ooh!

On the 23rd, I'm on a walk of Hampstead Village Highlights, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts. Be good exercise, leading up to my own sponsored walk in September, in aid of Cats Protection.. Helen and I are going as Dick Whittington and his cat. She's the cat.

The 24th, a summery treat! The Man with the Hat is taking both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! to the Globe (ah, it's been too long..). For one night only, the Comedy Store Players will regale us with Shakespeare-inspired improv. As usual, London for Less than a Tenner standing in the yard, Let's Do London - for less! in lower gallery seats. Which is where I go - couldn't take standing for that long. Better savour this trip - he only has four more events scheduled, three of which I'm going to, with no word on whether he'll continue longterm. And if he doesn't (Heaven forbid!), that'll leave a huge, hat-shaped hole in my life. Plenty of other stuff to go to, but hardly anything I'll look forward to as much as his events.

The 25th, London European Club again - it'll have been a while! They're off to an informal evening of classical music, in Peckham.

The 26th, London Literary Walks is doing the Sloane Ranger.

The 27th, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts. TFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Then back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for 1 May, I've booked The Ferryman, with LDAM, at the Royal Court.

And 2 May, those same three Funzing groups have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment