Friday 7 April 2017

Concert: Saeid Kordmafi

Gosh, it's ages since I was with the World Music Meetup! There are just so many other things usually getting in the way - well, last night was a concert of Iranian music, courtesy of Saeid Kordmafi on the santur. Don't know much about that, but I liked the YouTube clip they included on the Meetup page, so I booked - one of the free concerts at the Brunei Gallery, and pre-registering doesn't actually guarantee entry; it's first come first served. But I dutifully registered anyway - as someone said, maybe it's to gauge numbers.

The organiser said we'd meet outside the lecture hall at 6:30 SHARP - well, although I did do my best, that wasn't going to happen. Anyway, the Brunei Gallery was doing its thing of not letting people in at the stated "doors open" time, and the lobby was packed! I managed to spot the organiser, among a clump of people over the side, wearing the scarf he'd said he'd be. And we chatted as we waited - or tried to, it really was cramped. Must have been 20 minutes late that the doors opened! (They'd been having trouble with the lights, it seemed, and couldn't dim them for the concert - as the mc said, look on the bright side, it means you can read your programmes! Not that I'd seen any programmes floating about..)

Seating was unassigned, as usual, so our organiser directed us to the two back rows in the front centre section - kind of perfect, really. The front few rows were reserved, anyway. And then we got to watch the long parade of people filing in behind us - I checked my watch when I saw they were starting to turn people away; it was about 7:05. (Scheduled start time was 7.) As the mc said, apologetically, he'd love to let people in to sit on the steps and such, but it was a fire hazard! And an overflowing house it was, for this last concert in the season.

The first half was just Saeid, on his own, on the santur. Which was lovely.. but put me in mind of that time I went to a harp concert. Where all they did was play the harp. Which was also lovely, but a bit monotonous. As was Saeid, after a while, accomplished though he may be. I was glad when he injected some singing, near the end - I was just about falling asleep.

A short break, and he returned with a couple of pals, for a full two-hour concert in all! Good job the seats are comfy. Well, now there was a much better singer - with a really powerful, emotive, voice - and some much-appreciated drumming as well. Got quite catchy, in parts! I don't think I'd rush back to a concert of this music, but it was good.

Afterwards, we gathered in the lobby and were led to the student bar, just across the path - convenient, if you can find it. And drinks well priced, of course, which meant that, with little cash on me, I ended up paying the 15p card fee for purchases under £6. Oh well, it was still good value! We took tables at the back, and had a great chat (despite the interruption of someone coming through the fire door and setting off the alarm - it took them some minutes to find the off switch). This group does attract the most international crowd of any I've come across, and it's hard to beat a group including a Russian, an American, and a Syrian discussing current affairs in the Middle East - and an elderly guy, planning a tour of the 'stans! Friendly organiser, too - I was happy to join his other group, Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group (which he advertised enthusiastically all night to anyone who would listen!).

This evening, it's back to Ireland for the weekend again, and a meeting with my birth and adoptive mothers tomorrow. We had decided on Greene's, but there's no parking and my mother can't walk any distance. So now we're going to Bowes Ryan, in the same building as the multi-storey.

On Monday, I'm back at the Wanamaker Playhouse - always a favourite - for The White Devil, a Jacobean tale. This led to some fun today, trying to book another of those evening meetings with California for that evening - my co-worker kindly obliged me by suggesting an earlier time, so I wouldn't be cutting it so fine. 

On Tuesday, I got a cheap ticket to the Caine and Kane comedy show, in Brixton. However, when Funzing (courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night) advertised a talk on Exploring the Mind of a Psychopath, I was intrigued, cancelled the first and booked this instead. I tried a couple of Funzing codes, and EnjoyFunzing10 worked, to get me 10% off. Also, thank goodness it isn't in blasted Cafe 1001 this time! No, this one I can probably walk to.

On Wednesday, I'm with London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) to see Don Juan in Soho, with David Tennant, in Wyndham's. Just down Charing Cross Road - nice! There's another London Literary Walk that day - but I'll have to pass, I do want to see this!

Then I'm back to Ireland for Easter - on Good Friday, my (adoptive) mother and I are off to La Bohème, at the University Concert Hall.

On the 18th, back in London, and back with Funzing - London Speaks Sessions, LDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less, for a talk on the Science of Paranormal Activity. Unless I get a better offer, in time - it'd have to be a good one, I'm interested in this!

On the 19th, London Literary Walks is off down Brick Lane - and so am I.

On the 20th, I have my usual placeholder of free comedy in Hammersmith - courtesy of Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy. Of course - much like Funzing - I usually end up cancelling these, when something better comes up.

Ditto the 21st - or I may go to the cinema that day. As usual, watch this space..!

On the 22nd, I'm off to see the Naked House Cleaner! Venue to be revealed just the day before.. ooh!

On the 23rd, I'm on a walk of Hampstead Village Highlights, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts. Be good exercise, leading up to my own sponsored walk in September, in aid of Cats Protection.. Helen and I are going as Dick Whittington and his cat. She's the cat.

The 24th, another summery treat! The Man with the Hat is taking both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! to the Globe (ah, it's been too long..). For one night only, the Comedy Store Players will regale us with Shakespeare-inspired improv. As usual, London for Less than a Tenner standing in the yard, Let's Do London - for less! in lower gallery seats. Which is where I go - couldn't take standing for that long.

The 25th, London European Club again - it'll have been a while! They're off to an informal evening of classical music, in Peckham.

The 26th, London Literary Walks is doing the Sloane Ranger.

The 27th, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts. TFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Then back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for 1 May, I've booked The Ferryman, with LDAM, at the Royal Court.


And 2 May, those same three Funzing groups have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment