Saturday 8 April 2017

Cafe: Bowes Ryan & The Abbey Tavern

Time for the adoptive and birth mothers to meet - so I picked a weekend I was back, and we arranged to meet in Limerick, where my birth mother lives. Her original suggestion was Greene's, but there's no parking there, and my adoptive mother can't walk very far, or very fast. So, upon being told this, she suggested Bowes Ryan - in the Arthur's Quay shopping centre. Multi-storey car park and a lift - perfect.

We arrived just on time - got parking on Level 2, took the lift down, and there was the cafe right in front of us. With its white decor, it gleamed in the beautiful sunshine we had today, streaming through the glass roof panels. I had a peek around for my birth mother, but couldn't see her, so we just took the first table we came across. And sure enough, she'd arrived early, and we hadn't sat down yet before she rushed over to greet us.

She pulled over a chair, and I went to get drinks. Unfortunately, they don't do alcohol here - and my adoptive mother and I do enjoy a tipple when we eat, so food was out, although they seem to have a good range; we decided to eat later, in Quin. So we had, respectively, a cappuchino, a tea, and a still water. And a good old chat, for an hour or so, during which they got to know each other somewhat, and got on quite well, I think. (BTW, I heard how - and saw a sign confirming it - the down escalator has been changed to an up one, after someone had a fall on it recently. So there's now an up escalator, as well as a travelator - going down, you can take lift or stairs.)

We parted amicably, and my (adoptive) mother and I had a brief chat about where to go - sure enough, Quin won out. And a beautiful day for a drive, it was - parking was ok and we got a seat without trouble, although the bar was packed with people ready to watch the Grand National. We pretty much had our usual, which was just fine, with my mother choosing the salmon from the specials menu: the same as the a la carte, pretty much, but slightly seasoned - and slightly cheaper! Desserts, since we had time - and we headed to Mass:



Palm Sunday, as it turned out - I'd forgotten it's the last Sunday before Easter. (And don't the statues, hooded for Lent, look spooky?)

Back to London tomorrow, of course. On Monday, I'm back at the Wanamaker Playhouse - always a favourite - for The White Devil, a Jacobean tale. This led to some fun yesterday, trying to book another of those evening meetings with California for that evening - my co-worker kindly obliged me by suggesting an earlier time, so I wouldn't be cutting it so fine. 

On Tuesday, I got a cheap ticket to the Caine and Kane comedy show, in Brixton. However, when Funzing (courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night) advertised a talk on Exploring the Mind of a Psychopath, I was intrigued, cancelled the first and booked this instead. I tried a couple of Funzing codes, and EnjoyFunzing10 worked, to get me 10% off. Also, thank goodness it isn't in blasted Cafe 1001 this time! No, this one I can probably walk to. The title caused some intrigue in the office..

On Wednesday, I'm with London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) to see Don Juan in Soho, with David Tennant, in Wyndham's. Just down Charing Cross Road - nice! There's another London Literary Walk that day, and with a couple of my friends going - but I'll have to pass, I do want to see this! Also, the LDAM organiser has just arranged for us to meet beforehand in Fumo, just down the road. And afterwards, it's back to Brown's, as usual.

Then I'm back to Ireland for Easter - on Friday, my (adoptive) mother and I are off to La Bohème, at the University Concert Hall.

On the 18th, back in London, and back with Funzing - London Speaks Sessions, LDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less, for a talk on the Science of Paranormal Activity. Unless I get a better offer, in time - it'd have to be a good one, I'm interested in this!

On the 19th, London Literary Walks is off down Brick Lane - and so am I.

On the 20th, I have my usual placeholder of free comedy in Hammersmith - courtesy of Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy. Of course - much like Funzing - I usually end up cancelling these, when something better comes up.

Ditto the 21st - or I may go to the cinema that day. As usual, watch this space..!

On the 22nd, I'm off to see the Naked House Cleaner! Venue to be revealed just the day before.. ooh!

On the 23rd, I'm on a walk of Hampstead Village Highlights, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts. Be good exercise, leading up to my own sponsored walk in September, in aid of Cats Protection.. Helen and I are going as Dick Whittington and his cat. She's the cat.

The 24th, a summery treat! The Man with the Hat is taking both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! to the Globe (ah, it's been too long..). For one night only, the Comedy Store Players will regale us with Shakespeare-inspired improv. As usual, London for Less than a Tenner standing in the yard, Let's Do London - for less! in lower gallery seats. Which is where I go - couldn't take standing for that long. Better savour this trip - he only has four more events scheduled thereafter, three of which I'm going to, with no word on whether he'll continue longterm. And if he doesn't (Heaven forbid!), that'll leave a huge, hat-shaped hole in my life..

The 25th, London European Club again - it'll have been a while! They're off to an informal evening of classical music, in Peckham.

The 26th, London Literary Walks is doing the Sloane Ranger.

The 27th, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts. TFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Then back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for 1 May, I've booked The Ferryman, with LDAM, at the Royal Court.

And 2 May, those same three Funzing groups have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment