Wednesday 8 March 2017

Play: The Diary of a Teenage Girl

Again with the Man with the Hat last night, who persuaded a bunch of people in Let's Do London - for less! to go see The Diary of a Teenage Girl, in Southwark Playhouse. I've been there before from the office, but rechecked the travel details - and Google Maps was giving me a longer estimate than before of how long it would take me. 40 minutes by bus, now - and I had a late meeting, and got caught up doing stuff.. Realistically, I had to take the Tube.  Handiest was Northern Line from Tottenham Court Road to Kennington, then backtrack to Elephant & Castle (the line forks). And glory be, Kennington is a maze - I must have trekked every platform in the place en route to the right one.

The trick with Elephant & Castle, of course, is taking the right exit - for Southwark Playhouse, you need the one for the university; the shopping centre exit drops you at the wrong side of the roundabout. So, although the exit arrow might point left.. beware, you might need to go right! I got the right one - and still had to schlep around a lot of the building to get onto Newington Causeway - your clue is the Nando's, across the road, which shows you're taking the correct exit at last. And as I approached the theatre, I was very glad I hadn't taken the bus; it was now 15 minutes to start time, and I'd have missed the play if I'd done that.

I couldn't see the Man with the Hat through the window as I passed - luckily, I know he tends to hang out around the back of the bar, and when I went down there I finally caught sight of him, deep in conversation. So deep that I began to wonder whether I'd ever get a ticket out of him. But I did, and as he fecked off to mingle somewhere else, I scurried to the bar - they don't make you put your drinks in plastic here, which is handy. Despite what the Man with the Hat said, confusing one poor member - perhaps he was suffering temporary amnesia. I was then just in time to join one end of the two-headed queue, which was about to go in.. seating was unassigned, so I plonked myself in the front row. Better view, less climbing.

Gosh, no doubt what decade this play is set in, with the psychedelic, clashing wallpaper and floor covering, the tub chairs. The tape recorder on the bed, with a large, handheld mic attached. The music - a glorious 70s soundtrack, some of which I recognised, although it was a bit before my time (I'd have heard such things courtesy of my older cousins, from Sheffield). The teenage girl of the title (Rona Morison) could have been from any era, but her mother, with the wide headband, the long necklaces, the flares & heels (and a nice trench), was pure 70s, as was her mother's boyfriend, shirt open to the navel to reveal a hairy chest and gold chain, and her stepfather, in the polo neck. Her best friend.. eh, the hair was 70s. The outfit.. what you might call timeless slut.

We did remark that the bed looked a bit hard - sure enough, in a set that serves multiple purposes, it also plays a table, and is handy for people to scoot across. Projections on the back wall illustrate the story, although they can be a bit tricky to read against the heavily patterned wallpaper. And as the audience enters, our diarist is in her nightie, scribbling something in a notepad.

So, this story has had a number of incarnations, starting life as a graphic novel, then a play that was made into a film. Must be good, eh? Oh yeah. Terrifically acted, it's what I'd describe as a trip through the fantasies I had as a teenager. I didn't get all the action this girl did though, wow! You might consider it a bit OTT for that reason - but you have to concede that it's a powerful piece. And although I didn't do all of that stuff when I was a teenager, I did some later.. ah, the memories! Meantime, the play reveals some interesting views on adult behaviour, from a teenager's perspective. She's a fiesty kid, and I took to her. Great stuff, highly recommended. Running until the 25th.

Afterwards, after I came back from the loo, a whole cluster of folks from the group were standing in the bar area. I got a drink, and the Man with the Hat shooed me off down the back - but I didn't see anyone I knew down there, everyone being still at the bar! Hell with that - this was an evening when I needed a chat with familiar faces, not a get-to-know-you small-talk session. So I came back. Yes, all of them were on the point of leaving, and gradually did - save the one kind soul who stayed while I finished my drink. The Man with the Hat had exited some time before - I think he had a lift organised.

And so home - late nights no longer being a feature of this group, I had time to eat, but, of course, my laptop was in the office, so no blog last night. Tonight, I finally get to go to something with the Post-Apocalyptic Book Club - not a book discussion this time, instead they're off to a play called The Machine Stops, at Jacksons Lane Theatre. Suitably post-apocalyptic. New venue for me - a longer journey than typical, but I can get the 134 straight there, it seems.

Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend. And my first meeting with my birth mother.

Monday, I'm with London Dramatic Arts at the Royal Court, for The Kid Stays in the Picture.

That rescheduled talk on Brexit Vs. Trump from a couple of weeks ago is on Tuesday. Unless I decide to go to a film instead - being Funzing, I can get my money back if I cancel at least 48 hours in advance.

Next Wednesday, the Man with the Hat is taking London for Less Than a Tenner to Top Secret.

Thursday 16th, he's back to the Opera House for the opening night of a mixed bill of ballet. As usual, he's in the slips with London for Less Than a Tenner, and in the amphitheatre with Let's Do London - for Less!

Friday 17th, I got a cheap ticket to a very topical version of Twelfth Night, in the Drayton Arms. Ah, I remember when I was walking distance from there..

Saturday 18th, I'm back with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts for an Oliver Twist walk. Back with Hazel, excellent!

Sunday 19th.. not a Man with the Hat event, but one he's advertised. One member of his group plays Spanish guitar, and is giving a concert that night - so I've booked a ticket. Well hey, I do love Spanish music..

Monday 20th, I'm off to a Funzing talk on The Science of Psychedelics. Courtesy of London Speaks SessionsLDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less (nothing to do with the Man with the Hat). Unless I think of something better up to 48 hours beforehand..

Tuesday 21st, I'm with London European Club (LEC) for Carradine's Cockney Singalong, at Hoxton Hall. Had some fun with this last week, when I noticed another group member had confused it with something at a different venue, and thought it wasn't now happening..

Wednesday 22nd, I'm headed with LEC again - with a different organiser - to see 2 Cellos in concert in the London Palladium. Cool - never seen them before, never been there before, and I can probably walk there!

Thursday 23rd was another Funzing talk, with the same three groups, on The Science of Hypnosis. And then, wouldn't you know it, Henning from the LEC advertised.. Hypnosis - Altering Consciousness! With Pint of Science. (What is it about that day and hypnosis?!) Anyway, I do enjoy events with Henning, and as I say, I can cancel Funzing up to 48 hours in advance without penalty. So I did, and booked the other instead. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again..

No comments:

Post a Comment