Wednesday 22 March 2017

Old School Cockney Singalong

I enjoy events that Henning from the London European Club organises, so thought I'd give his Cockney Singalong a shot. This was in Hoxton Hall, and there was a smidgeon of confusion when someone in the group thought it was in Wilton's - which it sometimes is - and then couldn't find it listed! Confusion corrected, she booked a ticket - and then ironically came down with a sore throat and couldn't come after all! Well, what good is a singalong if you can't sing?!

So, back to Shoreditch with me again. I left it a bit tight, what with doing my film list for next week - but with Shoreditch, I don't have a fast option - I have to take a bus at least part of the way! So it was with some trepidation I rushed from the office. And on the way, realised I hadn't printed out my Print-at-Home ticket.. well, I didn't have time to go back and do it now, so I downloaded it on my phone and hoped that'd do. Thankfully, the 55 bus came a bit quicker than Google predicted. It got quite crowded on the way, and the fat lump slouched in the seat opposite me got several looks from people standing. Apparently, the rucksack he'd dumped on the seat next to him "had glass in it", so he couldn't move it. Until a pretty young lady came on and was standing next to him, and got asked whether she'd like a seat. She passed.

I squeezed off through the crowd of standing passengers at Shoreditch Town Hall in good time for what Google predicted would be a five-minute walk. Back to Hoxton Street, and straight ahead on the right. Sure enough, five minutes - and I made it 10 minutes before showtime, phew! And yes, no actual ticket required - all they did was check my name off a list. Registered where the hall was, and made my way to the bar at the end. Where there was a looong queue - that barman was really slow. I had a choice of a small bottle of wine, or a full-size one - I chose small, and trotted to the hall, where the ushers were looking impatient. But I wasn't even the last in the queue, and ended up being in plenty of time.

Lovely hall - from what I could see of it, considering that the lights had already gone down. Seating was cafe-style, with chairs around small, round tables - Henning had nabbed one near the front, but it was a small room anyway, although balconies with wright-iron railings stretched to the ceiling; they were empty, apart from the lighting guys - oh, and the projectionist; handily, lyrics were projected on a screen, hanging high above the stage.

Cor, it was a good old night. Tom Carradine, who plays the piano and leads everyone in the singalong, is a terrific showman, and led us through a whole set of medleys. The Lambeth Walk started us off - and although I'd heard of it, I'd never really heard the whole thing, and didn't know what I was about. By 'eck though, the table beside us had a blast - there were some oldies in it, and to be fair, I think the oldies would get more out of this. There were a lot of wartime numbers - some of which I knew, some I didn't - but I got the impression they were remembering them from the first time around.

The medleys also included an Irish one (hey, not even I knew all of them!). During which they slipped in one that wasn't included in the lyrics on screen - I'll Tell me Ma was, apparently, unknown to most there. At least that was one I was familiar with. ;-) There was also a football anthem medley - I mightn't have known the teams they were associated with, but I did know most of those songs. And we had the Hokey-Cokey.. for which we were invited to dance, but not many did.

After the interval, and some more lubrication (as the man said), the second half flowed a bit easier. We ended, happily, with Roll Out the Barrel. All in all it was a fun night - and a tribute to the city that has become my home, and that I really love as though I'd always been here. Recommended, for those of you who think you might feel the same - playing the 2 May in Hoxton again, and 25 July in Wilton's. And I was hoarse by the end, so I guess I contributed enough to the singing!

Tonight, I'm headed with LEC again - with a different organiser - for music of a different sort. We're off to see 2 Cellos in concert in the London Palladium. Cool - never seen them before, never been there before, and I can walk there! Unfortunately, I heard a few days ago that it's one of those steep venues.. oo-er, I'll just have to manage somehow. Pity today has turned out rainy, as well.

Tomorrow was another Funzing talk, with London Speaks Sessions, LDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less, on The Science of Hypnosis. And then, wouldn't you know it, Henning from the LEC advertised.. Hypnosis - Altering Consciousness! With Pint of Science. (What is it about that day and hypnosis?!) Anyway, I do enjoy events with Henning, and I can cancel Funzing up to 48 hours in advance without penalty. So I did, and booked the other instead. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.. Not sure what I'm doing next week, as someone in our team at work is visiting from another office, and we might be doing something with her. Watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment