Tuesday 28 March 2017

Film: Get Out

So! This is the week that someone is visiting from the Stockholm office. And what a great excuse to do things we normally don't.. Firstly, we saw her to her hotel, the grand-looking Kenilworth:



A lobby filled with artworks, lovely chenille upholstery on the sofas - a good thing, considering how long it took them to check her in! A teeny-weeny lift elevated us to her floor, where we passed a line of (cupboard?) doors that looked for all the world like (wooden) toilet cubicles. Squeezing into her (slightly less) teeny room (nice chenille bedspread),  I remarked to myself how hotels always seem to be overheated. Sure enough, we heard today that she was glad to be able to open her windows overnight, considering she could only get the aircon down to a certain temperature..

And so to dinner. Knowing that Charlotte Street has a profusion of eateries, I suggested we head there - and, wandering along the street, we came to L' Êtoile; our guest decided it looked a likely prospect, and in we went.


Pleasant décor, friendly staff. With prices a bit high, we skipped having a starter, contenting ourselves with the slice of crusty baguette each of us had on our plate. Funnily enough, we all had chicken - we were warned that it'd take 25 minutes to cook, and since it was obviously cooked from fresh, it was fittingly tender, and stuffed with a gorgeous mushroom paste. Accompanying it were a number of rock-hard, but edible, potato slices, and a bushy lump of kale. I also ordered a portion of mash, which we had to re-order as they'd obviously forgotten it, and which, when it did finally arrive, had a creamy texture but was tasteless. At least I got it for free, considering the delay. A bottle of wine among us completed the order.

I might have gone for a dessert - I was planning to head to the cinema afterwards, but had some time to kill - but it was suggested we find a pub instead, so I asked for the bill. I thought the maître-d' started fiddling with the register at that point, but perhaps he was doing something else - because the next thing they did was to start moving furniture around. After 15 minutes, they seemed finished with that and we asked again - and finally got it. Honestly, I remarked as we left - the two main reasons I no longer usually eat out in London are (a) the price, and (b) the service. At least at home you have some idea what time you'll be finished!

And so to the pub. Nearest seemed to be the Fitzroy Tavern, so in we went, carefully navigating steps up and steps down. I got a wine that was cheaper than the equivalent in the restaurant, and we sat ourselves beside a dangerous-looking flight of steep steps, leading down to "cellar and toilets". Not a place to get very drunk, then..

After a while I left them, intending to make the second showing of Get Out, at my local cinema - handily, just down the road! Well, that had been my original plan, and the trailer just looked so good.. a few minutes' walk got me there, and with no obvious person to sell me a ticket, I got one from the machine and made my way downstairs. Seating is unassigned, and the place was reasonably full - I got a seat in the second row, which was fine - the screen isn't very big.

As I entered (just under 20 minutes after scheduled start time), the opening scene had a black guy being arrested for, apparently, the crime of walking down the road. Cue the title, and a series of still images, to the backing track of Run Rabbit, Run.. You know, it's funny how you can sometimes tell a good film in the first few frames. Definitely had that impression here..

So. This is the story of a black guy (a photographer, hence the stills we see at the start), whose white, middle-class girlfriend takes him home to meet the folks for the first time. And they don't know he's black. He's dubious - nah, she says, they're liberals, they won't mind at all! And off they set for her folks' idyllic country estate.

Gee, I really don't recommend this film for anyone with a heart condition! They do a marvellous job of sustaining the suspense throughout - we agree completely with him that something's off, although we can no more provide an explanation than he can. Maybe the closest we come to a suspect is the girlfriend's mom (Catherine Keener), who, funnily enough, is a psychotherapist who treats people with hypnotism. She offers her services to cure him of smoking - "No thanks," he says, "I'm good".

Marvellous stuff, beautifully cast and acted in a very restrained way. I guarantee, however close you get to the truth, there's a couple of twists that will catch you out. The climax is an homage to Hammer horrors.. however, unlike your typical horror, this film firmly sets out to entertain you, and I just LOVED how they sent us all out laughing at the end. What a great idea! no better time than the end of a horror film to release all that tension. Fabulous - a great way to send me to bed. I give it 9/10. And I hardly ever go that high.

Tonight, Helen is coming to a concert at the O2The Mavericks - not my thing. However, I've said I'll head out there - after my evening meeting - and have dinner with her beforehand.

Tomorrow, I'd booked my first event with a new Meetup group. Spooky London Pubs has a talk on Rosalie the Ghost Girl. It's at the College of Psychic Studies. The case was investigated by Harry Price, and I've just finished reading a book about him. However, our visitor has expenses for a team dinner for us, and we've chosen that night. Ah well..

On Thursday, I'd booked for a Crick Crack Club event - the Grand Annual Lying Contest is at Rich Mix. And wouldn't you know it, I persuaded them all to come with me! Yippee.. we might grab a bite in Brick Lane beforehand.

On Friday, London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) is off to see The Goat - or Who Is Sylvia? with Damian Lewis, at the Theatre Royal Haymarket. I managed to get a cheaper ticket - however, we'll be taking out our team member that night for drinks.

Never mind - April starts with the Man with the Hat (long time no see!). Both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! are off to see the ballet Jewels at the Royal Opera House on Saturday. Really looking forward to the show, and seeing old friends.

On Sunday, I'm on a guided walk through Islington - Between the Wars - with London for a Tenner or LessFunzing, so I can cancel, provided I do it in time.

On Monday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club - at Soho Theatre this time, for an evening of Greek mythology entitled Atalanta, brought to us by the able Ben Haggerty. You know, now that I'm a Westminster resident, I have a Westminster card, which - among other things -entitles me to £1 off at this theatre! Pity I didn't yet have it when I booked this..

Next Tuesday, Let's Do London - for less! is back at the Opera House, for Madama Butterfly. I'm in the slips, as usual.

On the 5th - why, it must be summer! Welcome back, London Literary Walks - good to see you. We're on The Composers' Walk - apparently a repeat. And yay, we're meeting in Caffe Nero - I can have a chocolate Milano.

On the 6th, I'm with the World Music Meetup, for a free concert of Iranian music at the Brunei Gallery. It's been a while for me, with both group and venue.. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again, and a meeting with my birth and adoptive mothers at Greene's on the 8th.

On the 10th, I'm back at the Wanamaker Playhouse - always a favourite - for The White Devil, a Jacobean tale.

On the 11th, I got a cheap ticket to the Caine and Kane comedy show, in Brixton.

On the 12th, I'm with LDAM to see Don Juan in Soho, with David Tennant, in Wyndham's. Just down Charing Cross Road - nice!

Then I'm back to Ireland for Easter - on Good Friday, my (adoptive) mother and I are off to La Bohème, at the University Concert Hall.

On the 18th, back in London, and back with Funzing - London Speaks Sessions, LDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less, for a talk on the Science of Paranormal Activity. Unless I get a better offer, in time - it'd have to be a good one, I'm interested in this!

On the 19th, London Literary Walks is off down Brick Lane - and so am I.

On the 20th, I have my usual placeholder of free comedy in Hammersmith - courtesy of Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy. Of course - much like Funzing - I usually end up cancelling these, when something better comes up.


Ditto the 21st - or I may go to the cinema that day. As usual, watch this space..!

On the 22nd, I'm off to see the Naked House Cleaner! Venue to be revealed just the day before.. ooh!

On the 23rd, I'm on a walk of Hampstead Village Highlights, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts. Be good exercise, leading up to my own sponsored walk in September, in aid of Cats Protection.. Helen and I are going as Dick Whittington and his cat.

The 24th, another summery treat! The Man with the Hat is taking both groups to the Globe (ah, it's been too long..). For one night only, the Comedy Store Players will regale us with Shakespeare-inspired improv. As usual, London for Less than a Tenner standing in the yard, Let's Do London - for less! in lower gallery seats. Which is where I go - couldn't take standing for that long.

The 25th, London European Club again - it'll have been a while! They're off to an informal evening of classical music, in Peckham.

The 26th, London Literary Walks is doing the Sloane Ranger.

The 27th, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts. TFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Then back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for 1 May, I've booked The Ferryman, with LDAM, at the Royal Court.

And 2 May, those same three Funzing groups have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment