Wednesday 29 March 2017

Dinner: Water Margin

Helen was in town last night for a concert by The Mavericks, at the Indigo O2. Not really my thing - but I said I'd head out and have dinner with her there. Handily, our visiter from the Stockholm office didn't get in the way, as she had a late meeting that I wasn't part of. So after my own late meeting - which led into the even later one - off I schlepped. It'd just take too long by bus, so I was on the Tube.

You know, with walking so many places these days, I forget how horrible the Tube can be - the trek out to the O2 is a case in point. Oh, it was awful - the Northern Line was crammed, and I realised with a heavy heart that the Jubilee Line I'd have to change to wouldn't be any better. Hardly any air, and it didn't help that I didn't feel at all well - I was glad I wouldn't be staying for the concert. Of course, I didn't have a seat for the entire journey - just glad to be near the doors, so I got a blast of air when they opened - and an attack of diarrhoea hit somewhere along the way. I was in a pretty dire way by the time I staggered off at North Greenwich.

Now, she'd said she'd be there by 7, and it wasn't that yet, so off I limped in search of the loo. Along the way, passed an enormous queue to get into the Indigo.. now, I've been here a few times before, and I remembered the public toilets being somewhere else. Sadly, they're terribly signposted now (seems they're now around where the cinema is), and I completely missed them. Instead, I made my way to Water Margin - where we'd agreed to meet - and availed of their facilities. And despite the lack of toilet paper in the first cubicle, the too-hot water, and the cold hand dryer - I was so glad I did.

Feeling more human, I took a table (for two) - no problem, the place is huge and never full. It's a terrific choice in general - decently priced, decent food too. I was nearly finished my first plate from the all-you-can-eat buffet by the time Helen arrived - there'd been a mix-up with the train ticket, it seemed. Well, she ate fast - and I got a second plate of their yummy chicken szechuan and noodles. And a second glass of good white wine. For dessert, I wasn't enthused by the chocolate cake (you'll notice my tummy had settled!), but the chocolate fudge squares were delish. A mint from the glass by the till, and I left her to it, the queue gone now - I do believe she enjoyed herself, as testified to by the Facebook photos today!

It was so much easier on the return journey, the crowds having eased. I stopped off at the office, but ended up spending the evening on the film list rather than blogging. Tonight, I'd booked my first event with a new Meetup group. Spooky London Pubs has a talk on Rosalie the Ghost Girl, at the College of Psychic Studies. The case was investigated by Harry Price, and I've just finished reading a book about him. However, our visitor has expenses for a team dinner for us, and we've chosen tonight for it. Ah well..

Tomorrow, I'd booked for a Crick Crack Club event - the Grand Annual Lying Contest is at Rich Mix. And wouldn't you know it, I persuaded them all to come with me! Yippee.. we might grab a bite in Brick Lane beforehand.

On Friday, London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) is off to see The Goat - or Who Is Sylvia? with Damian Lewis, at the Theatre Royal Haymarket. I managed to get a cheaper ticket - however, instead we'll be taking out our team member for drinks. And dinner, I suppose!

Never mind - April starts with the Man with the Hat (long time no see!). Both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! are off to see the ballet Jewels at the Royal Opera House on Saturday. Really looking forward to the show, and seeing old friends.

On Sunday, I booked a guided walk through Islington - Between the Wars - with London for a Tenner or LessFunzing, so I could cancel, provided I did it in time - and then I decided I'd rather go to a film (hence spending last night on the film list!). Top of the list are a couple of documentaries, and the one I'm more interested in is Tickling Giants, about a comedian and chat show host in Cairo who's always sticking two fingers up to the authorities, and getting in trouble for it. (I've been particularly interested in Egypt since I visited, back in 2000.) It's showing, that day only, in the Curzon Bloomsbury - walking distance from me, nice! And today, seeing that it was starting to fill up, I booked, and cancelled Funzing. Again - I have a litany of cancelled Funzing events, these days!

On Monday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club - at Soho Theatre this time, for an evening of Greek mythology entitled Atalanta, brought to us by the able Ben Haggerty. You know, now that I'm a Westminster resident, I have a Westminster card, which - among other things -entitles me to £1 off at this theatre! Pity I didn't yet have it when I booked this..

On Tuesday, Let's Do London - for less! is back at the Opera House, for Madama Butterfly. I'm in the slips, as usual.

Next Wednesday - why, it must be summer! Welcome back, London Literary Walks - good to see you. We're on The Composers' Walk - apparently a repeat. And yay, we're meeting in Caffe Nero - I can have a chocolate Milano.

On the 6th, I'm with the World Music Meetup, for a free concert of Iranian music at the Brunei Gallery. It's been a while for me, with both group and venue.. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again, and a meeting with my birth and adoptive mothers at Greene's on the 8th.

On the 10th, I'm back at the Wanamaker Playhouse - always a favourite - for The White Devil, a Jacobean tale.

On the 11th, I got a cheap ticket to the Caine and Kane comedy show, in Brixton.

On the 12th, I'm with LDAM to see Don Juan in Soho, with David Tennant, in Wyndham's. Just down Charing Cross Road - nice!

Then I'm back to Ireland for Easter - on Good Friday, my (adoptive) mother and I are off to La Bohème, at the University Concert Hall.

On the 18th, back in London, and back with Funzing - London Speaks SessionsLDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less, for a talk on the Science of Paranormal Activity. Unless I get a better offer, in time - it'd have to be a good one, I'm interested in this!

On the 19th, London Literary Walks is off down Brick Lane - and so am I.

On the 20th, I have my usual placeholder of free comedy in Hammersmith - courtesy of Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Greenwich, and London Live Comedy. Of course - much like Funzing - I usually end up cancelling these, when something better comes up.

Ditto the 21st - or I may go to the cinema that day. As usual, watch this space..!

On the 22nd, I'm off to see the Naked House Cleaner! Venue to be revealed just the day before.. ooh!

On the 23rd, I'm on a walk of Hampstead Village Highlights, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts. Be good exercise, leading up to my own sponsored walk in September, in aid of Cats Protection.. Helen and I are going as Dick Whittington and his cat. She's the cat.

The 24th, another summery treat! The Man with the Hat is taking both groups to the Globe (ah, it's been too long..). For one night only, the Comedy Store Players will regale us with Shakespeare-inspired improv. As usual, London for Less than a Tenner standing in the yard, Let's Do London - for less! in lower gallery seats. Which is where I go - couldn't take standing for that long.

The 25th, London European Club again - it'll have been a while! They're off to an informal evening of classical music, in Peckham.

The 26th, London Literary Walks is doing the Sloane Ranger.

The 27th, Helen and I are on an Underground treasure hunt, courtesy of Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts. TFL goodies to be won, it seems.. Then back to Ireland for the bank holiday weekend - which I'd forgotten was a bank holiday, or I'd have stayed over an extra day!

Instead, for 1 May, I've booked The Ferryman, with LDAM, at the Royal Court.

And 2 May, those same three Funzing groups have advertised a talk called Origin of Vampires: Fact or Fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment