Sunday 19 March 2017

Concert: Ricardo Curbelo & Adrian Azuelo

Now, the Man with the Hat has a large and diverse group of followers. And one - Adrian Azuelo - is an accomplished classical Spanish guitarist. Last month, the Man with the Hat let us know about a couple of concerts that Adrian was playing; I couldn't make the first, but the second was tonight. I'm a sucker for that music, truth be told - I didn't take much convincing, and with tickets cheaper in advance, I booked.

With an evening start, I had a lovely, relaxing day - the most relaxing in quite a while. And come evening, I had to schlep all the way up to Highgate - at least the 134 bus goes straight there. I thought about bringing the book I'm reading, as it was to be a long trip - but the driver went so fast I was glad I hadn't.. I'd just have been queasy. Got off at Langdon Park Road - and soon knew I was in Highgate. I was grumbling all the way up the steep hill, then had a descent, and was climbing again to get to Lauderdale House. Nothing but hills in this part of town!

Now, when I told somebody yesterday that I was coming to Lauderdale House, she was full of praise. "Oh, it's lovely!" Well, I suppose it may have been, but in the dark I didn't see much of the exterior. And I don't know whether we were coming in the main entrance, but what I saw of the interior wasn't very impressive either. Anyway, the ticket desk was right there, and she soon located mine. And gave me a free programme - a rare luxury!

She'd given me some complicated directions to the bar, but I couldn't find it, and made my way through to the concert venue. Nodded to Adrian, who was practicing away at the top of the room - oh, there was the bar! It had an entrance at the back of the room, so I headed that way. There is another entrance - and both have helpful signs on them saying "BAR", but I really don't have a clue how to get to the other entrance. Anyway, had a quick word with Adrian in the bar, and then ran into someone else from the group. Seems she'd come because she lives nearby - and had brought a friend. Nobody else from the group made it, though - I suppose it's just a bit much of a trek.

I had a lovely chat with those two, and we headed back in when there was a general movement in that direction. Handily enough, the nice friendly barman said we could take in our drinks. I'd left my cape on a seat in the middle, but took a seat at the back to be near the others. Now, Adrian was sharing stage time tonight with one Ricardo Curbelo, and each was taking one half, with Adrian up first.

His set comprised a mix of Spanish and Latin American classical guitar - as he said, he was being generous with airmiles! Gotta say, I have a personal preference for the Spanish - but throughout, his playing was both technically excellent - and beautifully sensitive. Captivating - and apparently unperturbed by the occasional interruptions from mobiles that had been left on. I only knew a couple of the pieces he played: Spanish Dance No. 5 (Andaluza) by Enrique Granados, and - joy of joys when I saw it on the programme, one of my favourites, Recuerdos de la Alhambra. The highlight of the show for me.

At the interval, Adrian was waylaid by fans asking for autographs. :-) I joined the others in another drink - and after the break, we had Ricardo. This chap seems to do it all - he played the harp and cuatro, and sang. Half of his repertoire comprised his own compositions, including a poem he'd written - a sort of ode to London. The programme informed us that for his poetry, he's known as El Cóndor..! We were rather surprised to learn that South American harp music was a thing.. but it was good and catchy, and a good set to have on after people had been drinking at the break, and were in a merry mood. He explained how the instruments would normally be played together, but he wasn't going to try that - unless he was drunk - so he alternated between them. Only thing was - for all that he's apparently studied voice production, I can't say I cared for his singing. I passed on getting one of the cds he had on sale in the lobby.

Lovely evening, all told - Adrian assured me there are more performances in the pipeline, and I'll definitely try and make them if I can. A squall of rain hit me on the way out - good thing I was dressed for it - and yay! it was downhill to the bus stop I needed. Clever Google Maps - I do believe it calculated my walking routes to minimise my hill climbing! After all, had I got off at that stop, I'd have been climbing for ages.. Anyway, I walked a slightly different way home from usual, and ended up seeing some interesting things:




(The second one asks whether you see the faces as convex or concave, and whether they move to follow you.. all about tricks of the eye.)

Tomorrow, I'm off to a Funzing talk on The Science of Psychedelics. Courtesy of London Speaks SessionsLDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less.

Tuesday, I'm with London European Club (LEC) for Carradine's Cockney Singalong, at Hoxton Hall. Had some fun with this a few weeks ago, when I noticed another group member had confused it with something at a different venue, and thought it wasn't now happening..

Wednesday, I'm headed with LEC again - with a different organiser - to see 2 Cellos in concert in the London Palladium. Cool - never seen them before, never been there before, and I can probably walk there! Unfortunately, I heard yesterday that it's one of those steep venues.. oo-er, I'll just have to manage somehow.

Thursday was another Funzing talk, with the same three groups, on The Science of Hypnosis. And then, wouldn't you know it, Henning from the LEC advertised.. Hypnosis - Altering Consciousness! With Pint of Science. (What is it about that day and hypnosis?!) Anyway, I do enjoy events with Henning, and I can cancel Funzing up to 48 hours in advance without penalty. So I did, and booked the other instead. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again..

No comments:

Post a Comment