Tuesday 7 March 2017

Comedy: Russell Howard

It's a few weeks now since I looked for something to do yesterday, and finding nothing interesting on Meetup at the time, finished with Time Out, and ended up booking Russell Howard at the Albert Hall. So yesterday evening saw me researching bus routes - not least because there's no handy Tube station for there. Well, by 'eck, they do have bus routes! I was spoiled for choice. Firstly, the 19 or 38 would take me the first leg of the journey from Cambridge Circus (I'd have to change). That's just down from the office.

So, off I set. And of course, the bus stop is not in use, due to road works, as with that whole area. I'd missed the online message saying there was a temporary stop just before it, so schlepped off down the road to the next one - and while I was waiting, checked out the route of the other bus that stopped there (the 14) and discovered that would do me as well. It was the 19 that arrived, though. And then I had to decide whether to change at Green Park Station (for the 9), or Hyde Park Corner Station (for the 10 or 52). Hyde Park it was, and wouldn't you know, there was a 9 right behind us! I hopped on.. and we were stopped at the stop before the Royal Albert Hall when the driver kindly communicated an announcement that the next stop was closed. (Due to road works.)

So I quickly hopped off again and walked the last bit, remarking to myself how much more polluted this area is than the city centre! Narrow streets in the centre mean less traffic, you see, whereas by the time you get out this direction, the roads are wider, and as you walk along a major thoroughfare you can taste the fumes. Ironic, to think that the centre is healthier. Anyway, the Albert Hall isn't hard to find, and handily, I was at the right side for my door, which was marked on my Print-at-Home ticket.

Up the stairs to the top level, for the cheapest tickets.. having booked nice and early though, I had a good seat, in Row 2 of the Circle:



Weird, having a comedy gig in this venue, isn't it? In the round - which I thought was a good idea - with screens for up-close coverage, as you can see.. Well, the place was pretty full by the time the support act, Steve Hall, came on. And started by acknowledging that we'd all be pissed off that there was a support act. Apparently he's touring with Russell. And his 20-minute set was very good. And then we had quite a long interval.

Steve may have been good, but he wasn't a patch on Russell, who bounded on stage to tell us that he'd woken up that morning with no voice, but had been to the doctor and had a jab in his ass. And now he was WIRED! He told us his girlfriend, a doctor herself, hadn't wanted him to go on - but his crew were like, oh yes, please, let him - we want to see this..

Nearly a two-hour set, and his voice was nearly gone again by the end. Actually, I don't know how he'll manage - he's booked to do a show every night till Friday! (A jab a day?) Anyway, in a manic set, he was tears-streaming-down-your-face hilarious, my personal highlight being his description of his grandad's funeral. Other high points included his description of doing drugs with his mum, and having to join in when he was on this Red Nose Day trip to take African village kids on their first-ever trip to school, and on the bus they started singing a song "thank God for Russell". In front of a cameraman that really had to struggle not to laugh..

Ah yeah, I'd happily go again. Great night! And you'll never guess.. coming out, my bus stop was closed. For road works. As I carried on up the road though, I spied the temporary stop - and got myself home in due course, swinging by Tesco to pick up something for a late dinner. Which was probably just as well, considering that as I approached my road, I could hear a familiar alarm.. yes, somebody'd set off the fire alarm in my building again, and the folks were just spilling out on the street. So, just as well I hadn't got myself in and gotten comfy.


Tonight, yippee, the Man with the Hat is back again! I'm going with Let's Do London - for less! to The Diary of a Teenage Girl at Southwark Playhouse.

Tomorrow, I finally get to go to something with the Post-Apocalyptic Book Club - not a book discussion this time, instead they're off to a play called The Machine Stops, at Jacksons Lane Theatre. Suitably post-apocalyptic. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

Monday, I'm with London Dramatic Arts at the Royal Court, for The Kid Stays in the Picture.

That rescheduled talk on Brexit Vs. Trump from a couple of weeks ago is next Tuesday. Unless I decide to go to a film instead - being Funzing, I can get my money back if I cancel at least 48 hours in advance.

On Wednesday 15th, the Man with the Hat is taking London for Less Than a Tenner to Top Secret.

Thursday 16th, he's back to the Opera House for the opening night of a mixed bill of ballet. As usual, he's in the slips with London for Less Than a Tenner, and in the amphitheatre with Let's Do London - for Less!

Friday 17th, I got a cheap ticket to a very topical version of Twelfth Night, in the Drayton Arms. Ah, I remember when I was walking distance from there..

Saturday 18th, I'm back with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts for an Oliver Twist walk. Back with Hazel, excellent!

Sunday 19th.. not a Man with the Hat event, but one he's advertised. One member of his group plays Spanish guitar, and is giving a concert that night - so I've booked a ticket. Well hey, I do love Spanish music..

Monday 20th, I'm off to a Funzing talk on The Science of Psychedelics. Courtesy of London Speaks SessionsLDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less (nothing to do with the Man with the Hat). Unless I think of something better up to 48 hours beforehand..

Tuesday 21st, I'm with London European Club (LEC) for Carradine's Cockney Singalong, at Hoxton Hall. Had some fun with this last week, when I noticed another group member had confused it with something at a different venue, and thought it wasn't now happening..

Wednesday 22nd, I'm headed with LEC again - with a different organiser - to see 2 Cellos in concert in the London Palladium. Cool - never seen them before, never been there before, and I can probably walk there!



Thursday 23rd was another Funzing talk, with the same three groups, on The Science of Hypnosis. And then, wouldn't you know it, Henning from the LEC advertised.. Hypnosis - Altering Consciousness! With Pint of Science. (What is it about that day and hypnosis?!) Anyway, I do enjoy events with Henning, and as I say, I can cancel Funzing up to 48 hours in advance without penalty. So I did, and booked the other instead. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again..

No comments:

Post a Comment