Friday 17 March 2017

Ballet: Mixed Bill

Ah, the last Man with the Hat event for the month (for me, anyway - he is repeating it next Friday). Yesterday, he took both London for Less Than a Tenner and Let's Do London - for less! to the Opera House, to see a mixed bill of ballet.

Had the usual dilemma beforehand of whether to take the evening bag - the fact that it fitted my keys without argument sealed the matter, and it came. And I spent the rest of the night struggling to get it closed, and keep it closed. Life is hard. But not for the coach that was turning from Endell Street into Short's Gardens just as I was doing the opposite; this one was a reasonable size, and hadn't half the trouble - nor did it provide half the entertainment - of the 60-seater I saw trying to do the same, recently..

Approaching the Opera House, I saw one Man, one Hat, one guest. Not hard to spot. Got my ticket, and when a group of newbies had arrived, off I was dispatched to lead them upstairs. The first couple, mind, took off at a gallop, and I pretty much lost them while the security guard was trying to peer into my teeny bag to see whether it contained anything of danger. Last I saw of them was when they were heading determinedly for the lifts, so I left them to it. I went up instead with a very nice lady - we got a drink and hung out on the balcony for a while before heading in. I was sat beside Mary - good to see her, she hadn't been able to make the night before.

This is a triple bill. First up, The Human Seasons apparently describes the cycle of life, and is inspired by Keats. Very pretty, very elegant - but we didn't really feel moved by it. Much more successful were the latter two. The second - After the Rain - is mesmerising, with haunting music (Spiegel im Spiegel) I've heard before.. somewhere. And finally was the world premiere of Flight Pattern - starting with sombre bass, dramatic staging sees a host of people in grey shuffling onto a dark stage, moving in unison, like flocks of birds in flight. Until two break away..

Particularly the second and third pieces are absolutely stunning - I can't recommend them highly enough. Go see - runs until next Friday (which means the Man with the Hat will have been to the first and last performances..). Were I available that day, I'd be seriously tempted to go again.

Afterwards, with The Sun apparently booked for a private function, a small group of us ended up in The Covent Garden - upstairs, which had more space. And had a most convivial chat, including about this sponsored walk I'm going on in September. Sceptics can go take a long walk off a short bridge.. and last night, predictably, the ladies outlasted the gents, whose stamina gave out long before ours.

Today? Lá le Pádraig shona daoibh! Not doing anything particularly Irish.. well, not after I leave the office, anyway!



Tonight, I got a cheap ticket to a very topical version of Twelfth Night, in the Drayton Arms. Ah, I remember when I was walking distance from there..

Tomorrow, I'm back with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts for an Oliver Twist walk. Back with Hazel, excellent!

Sunday.. not a Man with the Hat event, but one he's advertised. One member of his group plays Spanish guitar, and is giving a concert that night - so I've booked a ticket. Well hey, I do love Spanish music..

Monday, I'm off to a Funzing talk on The Science of Psychedelics. Courtesy of London Speaks SessionsLDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less (nothing to do with the Man with the Hat). Unless I think of something better up to 48 hours beforehand.. can cancel that far in advance without penalty.

Tuesday, I'm with London European Club (LEC) for Carradine's Cockney Singalong, at Hoxton Hall. Had some fun with this a couple of weeks ago, when I noticed another group member had confused it with something at a different venue, and thought it wasn't now happening..

Wednesday, I'm headed with LEC again - with a different organiser - to see 2 Cellos in concert in the London Palladium. Cool - never seen them before, never been there before, and I can probably walk there!


Next Thursday was another Funzing talk, with the same three groups, on The Science of Hypnosis. And then, wouldn't you know it, Henning from the LEC advertised.. Hypnosis - Altering Consciousness! With Pint of Science. (What is it about that day and hypnosis?!) Anyway, I do enjoy events with Henning, and as I say, I can cancel Funzing up to 48 hours in advance without penalty. So I did, and booked the other instead. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again..

No comments:

Post a Comment