Friday 24 February 2017

Storytelling: The Fate We Bring Ourselves

Another evening with the Crick Crack Club, booked months in advance. Well hey, they're right up there in my priority list.. and there IS a priority list, as should be obvious to regular readers.

Crouch End again - this is the last they've advertised up there, although Ben Haggerty did mention last night that there'll be more there in April. I could do without them - even coming from the city centre, it's a trek in comparison with other locations. And we had another late work meeting - and then I got caught up doing something, so even though it didn't start till 8:30, I still found myself rushing, and ended up taking the faster, Tube & bus option.

So, a quick trot to Leicester Square, and I was just in time for a train to whisk me to Caledonian Road. No kidding, they warn on the website that it has access issues - of what looks like what used to be four lifts, only one is working! Well, I'm assuming there were four - for one thing, the working lift is number 3, and there does appear to be space for three others. Two of them have been removed entirely though - I suspect it'll be some time before they get back to full capacity there.

Outside the station, Google Maps sent me to the left to catch a bus. Curiously, it then had me going down a non-existent side road.. I was beginning to get worried, when I discovered that I'd literally just passed the bus stop I needed! And the bus I needed was just due. Mostly, we had a quick trip, but there were a couple of traffic jams, and it was very nearly showtime by the time I got there. I seemed to be the last person on the bus, and although I don't think that was its destination, by the look of it, the bus terminated right across the road from the Arthouse. Which was handy for me.

They were starting to let people in, so I went straight in and took my seat - they didn't seem to encourage people to take drinks in with them, so I didn't. As usual, it was a while before they started, though - for all that the event page showed this as sold out, it was still only about half full by the time they finally started! Which, mind you, is typical for this venue.

This was originally supposed to be a show by my favourite storyteller, Clare Muireann Murphy. But apparently she had to have a knee operation, so Ben Haggerty stepped in instead. And in due course - clad in black, as usual - he took the stage. And in a performance without interval - and lasting nearly 90 minutes - he performed for us The Fate We Bring Ourselves, a series of Greek legends about what happens to those who anger the gods.

Now, I'd heard all of these before, as it happened. We had the story of Actaeon, who caught sight of Artemis bathing naked, and was punished by her by being turned into a stag, and torn to pieces by his own hunting dogs: the story of the king who, in order to build a feasting hall, cut down a grove of trees sacred to Demeter, and was cursed by her with an insatiable hunger: and the whole story behind the birth of Dionysus.

Ben Haggerty has a very theatrical style, and was on fire last night. I think this may well be his favourite set of stories - they certainly allow him to give full rein to his skills. I may have heard them all before - but never told better than last night, and I sat rapt through the entire thing. There is a marked difference between a show of this high quality, and some of the dross I go to on occasion - and for anyone who thinks that stuff is good, I encourage them to come to something like this. This is some of the best that London can offer. I was amazed when the show ended - it hardly felt like the time had passed at all.

The adjacent bus stop was closed, so I walked to the next one - and when a different bus came, Google Maps was invaluable at telling me how I could use it to change to another bus to get me home. But, of course, my laptop was in the office - so no blogging last night.

Just had lunch - went with a gang from the office, and with the wealth of eateries locally, it was nigh impossible to decide on somewhere. Finally, we plumped for La Porchetta Pollo, a bar/restaurant not far from us. They'd only just opened, and with a group of five of us, we had a choice of right beside the kitchen.. or in the basement. Basement it was, and we were served uncomplicated and inexpensive food, by efficient and friendly staff. I had pasta, nicely al dente.. other dishes at our table included polenta and vegetarian lasagne. All polished off - except the very last of my pasta; I was just too full.

Back to Ireland tonight for the weekend. Monday, the Man with the Hat and London for Less Than a Tenner are off to Two Man Show at Soho Theatre. I've seen it before, but it's worth seeing again. Looking forward to seeing the group again!

Tuesday, Let's Do London - for less! is off to Sleeping Beauty, at the Opera House.

Wednesday - well lookee that, the same group is off to Roundelay, at Southwark Playhouse. Three in a row for the Man with the Hat - we'll have to carry him off on a stretcher. About time we got back to Southwark though - we've missed it!

Thursday, I was thinking of free comedy in Hammersmith - this time with London Live ComedyFree Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and Random London. But then Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts (and Walking Victorian London) announced a walk called True Spy Stories! So I thought that sounded more interesting, and booked.

Next Friday, again, Crick Crack is telling stories - Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing Metamorphoses at Rich Mix. However, the Rich Mix website doesn't seem to have heard of this.. unless you search for that specific day. The independent Crick Crack Club website has a link to buy tickets from Rich Mix though, and at the moment they're being sold at a discounted preview price. And now that the link is available, their Meetup group is advertising it too.

Saturday 4th, Let's Do London - for less! is back to see Sleeping Beauty - and so am I. Honestly, this was a mistake on my part - I was booking a lot at the time and forgot I was already going - but hell, I'd rather be doing this anyway than not. Amphitheatre, this time - it's been a while since I was there.

Sunday 5th, London for Less Than a Tenner advertised "Soho: the Roots of the Swinging Sixties - guided walk"! Now, this confused me, before I read deeper.. I do recall the Man With the Hat saying that, while he was interested in guided walks, he wasn't interested in actually guiding them. Turns out someone else is doing the actual guiding.. Anyway, I booked, but it seems not enough of us did, and he's cancelled the event. The walk is still going ahead though - check out Back in the Day Walks for more details. Me? I might just go to a film - we'll see what's on, closer to time.

Monday 6th, I'm off to see Russell Howard at the Albert Hall.

Tuesday 7th, jeez, the Man with the Hat is back again! Hard to keep up these days - so I'm going with Let's Do London - for less! to The Diary of a Teenage Girl at Southwark Playhouse.

Wednesday 8th, I finally get to go to something with the Post-Apocalyptic Book Club - not a book discussion this time, instead they're off to a play called The Machine Stops, at Jacksons Lane Theatre. Suitably post-apocalyptic. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

Monday 13th, I'm with London Dramatic Arts at the Royal Court, for The Kid Stays in the Picture. Not in any great hurry to see them again.

That rescheduled talk on Brexit Vs. Trump from last week is on Tuesday 14th. Unless I decide to go to a film instead - being Funzing, I can get my money back if I cancel at least 48 hours in advance.

On Wednesday 15th, the Man with the Hat is now taking London for Less Than a Tenner to Top Secret.

Thursday 16th, he's back to the Opera House for the opening night of a mixed bill of ballet. As usual, he's in the slips with London for Less Than a Tenner, and in the amphitheatre with Let's Do London - for Less!

Friday 17th, I got a cheap ticket to a very topical version of Twelfth Night, in the Drayton Arms. Ah, I remember when I was walking distance from there..

Saturday 18th, I'm back with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts for an Oliver Twist walk. Back with Hazel, excellent!

Sunday 19th.. not a Man with the Hat event, but one he's advertised. One member of his group plays Spanish guitar, and is giving a concert that night - so I've booked a ticket. Well hey, I do love Spanish music..

Monday 20th, I'm off to a Funzing talk on The Science of Psychedelics. Courtesy of London Speaks SessionsLDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less (nothing to do with the Man with the Hat). Unless I think of something better up to 48 hours beforehand..

Tuesday 21st, I'm with London European Club (LEC) for Carradine's Cockney Singalong, at Hoxton Hall. Had some fun with this a couple of days ago, when I noticed another group member had confused it with something at a different venue, and thought it wasn't now happening..

Wednesday 22nd, I'm headed with LEC again - with a different organiser - to see 2 Cellos in concert in the London Palladium. Cool - never seen them before, never been there before, and I can probably walk there!

Thursday 23rd, another Funzing Talk, with the same three groups, on The Science of Hypnosis. Again, unless I get a better offer in the meantime. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again..

No comments:

Post a Comment