Wednesday 22 February 2017

Story Time With Viktor Wynd

The only storytelling I've been to hitherto was run by the Crick Crack Club. So I was intrigued when the London European Club (LEC) advertised something completely independent of them.. Naturally, I booked..

Now, this was up in Bethnal Green, which was going to take a while to get to - so it was unfortunate that yesterday evening was the one chosen for an unusually late meeting at work. Happily, our boss was conscious of the late hour, and kept it fairly short - so I did get out of the office before 6:30. Had to be Tube - the bus would only have taken 10 minutes more, but I needed every minute. I just made the Tube that Google Maps said I needed to. Central Line - lucky I wasn't going today, they're on strike! Great how I hardly have to pay attention to that, these days.

Alighted at Bethnal Green, and it was as quick to walk from there - straight up the road. I could see from the map that I would be passing the Museum of Childhood, which was handy for getting out of the station, as there was a sign for which exit to take for that. Pity there wasn't another sign at street level - I started off in the wrong direction, and it was only my maps app that told me I was headed the wrong way. I was cursing that as I trotted off in the other direction, and had to stop several times and wait to cross the very busy roads in this area.

I was five minutes late by the time I arrived - then had to find the Viktor Wynd Museum of Curiosities. I needn't have worried about that, it stands out just a bit!



Encouraged at the sight of people just inside the door, I went in, and was greeted by the pleasant young lady behind the bar, who checked off my name and asked whether I'd like a drink? Someone else asked about the storytelling - yes, she said, it's happening just there. Ah, well it hadn't started yet then, despite the dire warnings about it starting at 7 sharp! So I ordered a drink, and while that was happening, I heard a voice announce that it'd be another five minutes..

It's a cosy place, but wow, what a place! You really should look up..






















I got a seat at the back, beside one of his cabinets of curiosities:


And, in due course, the man himself appeared from downstairs, wearing a red djellaba, and made his way to the other end, where he propped himself against a wall and began. No problem with latecomers, they were welcomed all night - and he was keen to find seats for everyone, and managed it for everyone who wanted one. No mean feat, given that I counted 30 attendees by the end of the night..

This is a wonderfully weird and wacky place, and he fits it to a T. I hadn't heard of the Last Tuesday Society before, part of whose series this event was, but it sounds fascinating. Certainly, he took great delight in weaving for us a night of Sufi legends - a bit salacious for the taste of some, mind. The tales he had in mind centred on the husband of Sheherazade, and how he came to want to behead all his wives.. and he eventually finished with a couple of her stories. My only quibble - he should have projected his voice a bit more.. he could be hard to hear from the back.

Sufi tales are a bit rambling, and we went way over the advertised time - but hey, we got a free g&t in the interval! And I spent most of the night in glorious wonder at the strange and marvellous things there are to do in London, and the exotic venues to do them in. Although he encouraged people to stay for drinks after, I thought I'd head home and have a proper dinner.. and the bus stop just across the road served me perfectly for that (when I managed to cross the road). The 55 was supposed to take me a bit further, but unexpectedly stopped in Holborn - but hey, that's walking distance. And happily, Waterstone's was open for me to grab a book en route - I was in time to cook, but had nothing to read, and now leave my laptop in the office during the week.

Tonight, I'm headed, with London Dramatic Arts (LDAM), to The Cherry Orchard, at the Arcola. And I caught an interesting conversation in relation to that - seems someone who's booked can't go, and posted in case anyone wanted his ticket. Whereupon the organiser was right on to him to explain that that's against the rules. Yes, ok, he doesn't get a refund if the ticket isn't sold on, and he can't sell on the ticket directly - I get that. But me oh my, it seems her anti-blogging page isn't the only page of rules she - or someone she knows - has come up with - take a read of the rules against reselling. I mean seriously - the ticket can't be passed on until the day of the event? And forget about a refund - at best, you can get credit. You have been warned..

Tomorrow, the Crick Crack Club is back at Crouch End, with The Fate We Bring Ourselves - finally advertised on their Meetup pageBen Haggerty standing in for Claire Muireann Murphy, who's having a knee operation, it seems. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

Monday, the Man with the Hat and London for Less Than a Tenner are off to Two Man Show at Soho Theatre. I've seen it before, but it's worth seeing again. And so is the group!

Tuesday, Let's Do London - for less! is off to Sleeping Beauty, at the Opera House.

Next Wednesday - well lookee that, the same group is off to Roundelay, at Southwark Playhouse. Three in a row for the Man with the Hat - we'll have to carry him off on a stretcher. About time we got back to Southwark though - we've missed it!

Thursday 2nd, I was thinking of free comedy in Hammersmith - this time with London Live ComedyFree Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and Random London. But then Walk, Talks and Treasure Hunts (and Walking Victorian London) announced a walk called True Spy Stories! So I thought that sounded more interesting, and booked.

Friday 3rd, again, Crick Crack is telling stories - Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing Metamorphoses at Rich Mix. However, the Rich Mix website doesn't seem to have heard of this.. The independent Crick Crack Club website has a link to buy tickets from Rich Mix though, and at the moment they're being sold at a discounted preview price. And now that the link is available, their Meetup group is advertising it too.

Saturday 4th, Let's Do London - for less! is back to see Sleeping Beauty - and so am I. Honestly, this was a mistake on my part - I was booking a lot at the time and forgot I was already going - but hell, I'd rather be doing this anyway than not. Amphitheatre, this time - it's been a while since I was there.

Sunday 5th, London for Less Than a Tenner advertised "Soho: the Roots of the Swinging Sixties - guided walk"! Now, this confused me, before I read deeper.. I do recall the Man With the Hat saying that, while he was interested in guided walks, he wasn't interested in actually guiding them. Turns out someone else is doing the actual guiding.. Anyway, I booked, but it seems not enough of us did, and he's cancelled the event. The walk is still going ahead though - check out Back in the Day Walks for more details. Me? I might just go to a film - we'll see what's on, closer to time.

Monday 6th, I'm off to see Russell Howard at the Albert Hall.

Tuesday 7th, jeez, the Man with the Hat is back again! Hard to keep up these days - so I'm going with Let's Do London - for less! to The Diary of a Teenage Girl at Southwark Playhouse.

Wednesday 8th, I finally get to go to something with the Post-Apocalyptic Book Club - not a book discussion this time, instead they're off to a play called The Machine Stops, at Jacksons Lane Theatre. Suitably post-apocalyptic. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

Monday 13th, I'm with LDAM at the Royal Court, for The Kid Stays in the Picture.


That rescheduled talk on Brexit Vs. Trump from last week is on Tuesday 14th. Unless I decide to go to a film instead - being Funzing, I can get my money back if I cancel at least 48 hours in advance.

On Wednesday 15th, the Man with the Hat is now taking London for Less Than a Tenner to Top Secret.

Thursday 16th, he's back to the Opera House for the opening night of a mixed bill of ballet. As usual, he's in the slips with London for Less Than a Tenner, and in the amphitheatre with Let's Do London - for Less!

Friday 17th, I got a cheap ticket to a very topical version of Twelfth Night, in the Drayton Arms. Ah, I remember when I was walking distance from there..

Saturday 18th, I'm back with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts for an Oliver Twist walk. Back with Hazel, excellent!

Sunday 19th.. not a Man with the Hat event, but one he's advertised. One of his group plays Spanish guitar, and is giving a concert that night - so I've booked a ticket. Well hey, I do love Spanish music..

And on Monday 20th, I'm off to a Funzing talk on The Science of Psychedelics. Courtesy of London Speaks Sessions, LDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less (nothing to do with the Man with the Hat). Unless I think of something better up to 48 hours beforehand..

No comments:

Post a Comment