Tuesday 28 February 2017

Performance: Two Man Show (Take 2)

Our last outing to Two Man Show was a great hit - not a surprise that the Man with the Hat decided to take us again. London for Less Than a Tenner was there against night - and I figured it had been good enough to see again.

A pleasantly short, 7-minute walk from the office got me to Soho Theatre in time to get a seat in the bar, at the reserved tables, before we trekked all the way upstairs. The seating arrangement is the same as last time, but this time I happened to sit over the other side.. and yes, I can confirm that they do favour one side over the other, just a couple of times - sit on the right as you go in to take advantage of this.

Well! I remember being a bit dazed the first time, and was keen to read my report from last September. Several people asked me whether it was the same show as before - well, I think so, although to be honest, so much happens in this show that - especially the first time you see it - it can be hard to figure out what's going on.

I'll say this - I'd forgotten how good Rashdash are! Terrific singers, accomplished musicians, good dancers. Not to mention the creative engine behind a very thought-provoking and audacious performance. And I'll also say that this show definitely merits a second viewing. See, last time I was so much on tenterhooks for whatever unexpected thing was going to happen next that the overall story was kind of lost on me. This time, I was expecting more of it, and had more mental energy to have a think..

Right, so it's all about men, women, and the relationship between them. They start as women, with a quick history of society and the development of patriarchy, which undermined the old, goddess culture. (Phew!) Then they take off their clothes. (Baring their emotions?) Then they take the part of men, specifically two brothers dealing with major life changes, in a most male and emotionally stunted way - to describe the crisis in masculinity. Finally, one reverts to femininity, while the other decides she'd rather stay as the powerful male, and they have a really well-done male-female dialogue.

In between, there's a dazzling and very enjoyable show. Not surprising it's won awards - and we were all impressed. And a bit bemused. Runs until Saturday - definitely one to see.

Across to The Nellie Dean again after, where we had tables reserved. There was bar service upstairs, for once - but the Man with the Hat (obviously conserving his energies for the rest of the week) vanished, once he'd seen us settled. We hung around for a good while, - well, there was a lot to discuss in what we'd just seen - and as usual I was one of the last to leave, following a really interesting chat about music. Grabbed a couple of doughnuts in Tesco on the way home.

Tonight - Round 2 of the week with the Man with the Hat. More traditional this time, presumably - we're off with Let's Do London - for less! to Sleeping Beauty, at the Opera House.

Tomorrow - well lookee that, the same group is off to Roundelay, at Southwark Playhouse. Three in a row for the Man with the Hat. About time we got back to Southwark - we've missed it!

Thursday, I was thinking of free comedy in Hammersmith - this time with London Live ComedyFree Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and Random London. But then Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts (and Walking Victorian London) announced a walk called True Spy Stories! So I thought that sounded more interesting, and booked.

Friday, Crick Crack is telling stories - Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing Metamorphoses at Rich Mix. However, the Rich Mix website doesn't seem to have heard of this.. unless you search for that specific day. The independent Crick Crack Club website has a link to buy tickets from Rich Mix though, and at the moment they're being sold at a discounted preview price. And now that the link is available, their Meetup group is advertising it too.

Saturday, Let's Do London - for less! is back to see Sleeping Beauty - and so am I. Honestly, this was a mistake on my part - I was booking a lot at the time and forgot I was already going - but hell, I'd rather be doing this anyway than not. Amphitheatre, this time - it's been a while since I was there.

Sunday, London for Less Than a Tenner advertised "Soho: the Roots of the Swinging Sixties - guided walk"! Now, this confused me, before I read deeper.. I do recall the Man With the Hat saying that, while he was interested in guided walks, he wasn't interested in actually guiding them. Turns out someone else is doing the actual guiding.. Anyway, I booked, but it seems not enough of us did, and he's cancelled the event. The walk is still going ahead though - check out Back in the Day Walks for more details. Me? I might just go to a film - we'll see what's on, closer to time.

Monday, I'm off to see Russell Howard at the Albert Hall.

Next Tuesday, jeez, the Man with the Hat is back again! Hard to keep up these days - so I'm going with Let's Do London - for less! to The Diary of a Teenage Girl at Southwark Playhouse.

Wednesday 8th, I finally get to go to something with the Post-Apocalyptic Book Club - not a book discussion this time, instead they're off to a play called The Machine Stops, at Jacksons Lane Theatre. Suitably post-apocalyptic. Then I'm back to Ireland for a long weekend.

Monday 13th, I'm with London Dramatic Arts at the Royal Court, for The Kid Stays in the Picture.

That rescheduled talk on Brexit Vs. Trump from a couple of weeks ago is on Tuesday 14th. Unless I decide to go to a film instead - being Funzing, I can get my money back if I cancel at least 48 hours in advance.

On Wednesday 15th, the Man with the Hat is taking London for Less Than a Tenner to Top Secret.

Thursday 16th, he's back to the Opera House for the opening night of a mixed bill of ballet. As usual, he's in the slips with London for Less Than a Tenner, and in the amphitheatre with Let's Do London - for Less!

Friday 17th, I got a cheap ticket to a very topical version of Twelfth Night, in the Drayton Arms. Ah, I remember when I was walking distance from there..

Saturday 18th, I'm back with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts for an Oliver Twist walk. Back with Hazel, excellent!

Sunday 19th.. not a Man with the Hat event, but one he's advertised. One member of his group plays Spanish guitar, and is giving a concert that night - so I've booked a ticket. Well hey, I do love Spanish music..

Monday 20th, I'm off to a Funzing talk on The Science of Psychedelics. Courtesy of London Speaks SessionsLDN Talks @ Night, and London for a Tenner or Less (nothing to do with the Man with the Hat). Unless I think of something better up to 48 hours beforehand..

Tuesday 21st, I'm with London European Club (LEC) for Carradine's Cockney Singalong, at Hoxton Hall. Had some fun with this last week, when I noticed another group member had confused it with something at a different venue, and thought it wasn't now happening..

Wednesday 22nd, I'm headed with LEC again - with a different organiser - to see 2 Cellos in concert in the London Palladium. Cool - never seen them before, never been there before, and I can probably walk there!

Thursday 23rd, another Funzing Talk, with the same three groups, on The Science of Hypnosis. Again, unless I get a better offer in the meantime. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again..

No comments:

Post a Comment