Friday 6 January 2017

Play: Antigone

Nothing on Meetup again tonight, so I had a scout around for what was cheap, and Antigone sounded good. Booked it - I'd have been a lot closer had I been staying in the new place, but never mind.

All the way up in Camden: Google Maps said I'd struggle to get there in under an hour by bus, and anyway I had dinner a bit late, and needed the quick trip. So, train, then Tube: I had a choice of the Victoria Line from Vauxhall or the Northern Line from Waterloo, but Google was well enough informed to tell me that the Victoria Line was suffering severe delays due to an earlier fire. Waterloo it was then, and I was just lucky that, when I got to Clapham Junction, the nearest platform had a (delayed) non-stop train to Waterloo just due. It stayed due for a couple of minutes, but I got there in the end.

Got off the Tube at Mornington Crescent (wow, only three stops away from my new place), and found my way unerringly to Theatro Technis with my Maps app, which showed me where I was, relative to it, at any given time. I swear, there are few handier inventions. Anyway, hang a right onto Crowndale Road, and it's a short walk away, on the left. I literally made it through the door with a minute to spare.. and then they were five minutes late in starting anyway!


The performance space looks like an old schoolhouse, with a blackboard at one end. As we waited, someone estimated that it holds about 50, on tiered seating - folding chairs - around the edges. And as we entered, people were playing a version of Musical Chairs on a set of about eight large, wooden chairs dotted around the main stage area. Chairs are the only props they have - and they get some bashing.

Antigone is a political play, essentially about the questioning of unjust laws. And my goodness, they start political all right - the woman who will shortly play Antigone rushes in, raving about massacres and oppression, about Erdogan setting himself up as a sultan in Turkey.. the premise is that she's just been to the Turkish Embassy, heard about all this stuff, and has been delayed in returning for rehearsals of the play they're to put on. I guess that's the play we've come to see, which they start shortly after.

More talk than action - unlike more modern productions, when a plot point occurs here, we hear about it rather than see it. Two of Antigone's brothers have been killed in a civil war, fighting on opposite sides; the one who fought on the losing side is deemed a traitor, and denied burial. She is appalled by this, which goes against divine laws, and decides to bury him herself - her sister tries to dissuade her, and when the new ruler (actually their uncle) discovers what she has done and brings her to trial, she is defiant. Things do not go well from there, as both sides dig in their heels.

As I say, we mostly hear about what happens second-hand - the live action focusses on the decision not to bury the body, then Antigone's trial. Still, what action there is, they undertake with gusto - which makes up for some slightly under-par acting by some participants. Antigone herself, however, and the woman who plays her sister, are terrific. Modern politics appear again at the end, when they all come on bearing information boards about Turkish human rights violations in Cyprus, with helpful information about which articles of the Declaration of Human Rights are being violated there. By their accents, most of the cast could be Turkish, although I can't be sure.. Last night tomorrow, if you're interested. Most enlightening.

Tomorrow has turned out unusually busy. See, a while ago, I saw that the guide on the excellent Christmas lights walk I did was doing a walk of Victorian Covent Garden that day, and I booked. Then the London European Club advertised an "Arab Christmas" - a concert of early Arab Christian chants! Ah well now.. unfortunately, it's on the same day as my walk. Fortunately, the walk is at lunchtime and the concert in the evening! I booked for that as well. That's in Rich Mix. Now, the thing is, my nagging succeeded in getting the estate agent to agree that I can get the keys tomorrow and start moving my stuff.. So yes, a busy day in store indeed!

On Sunday, I'm on another walk - again, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts - same guide, different group from the Christmas Lights walk. This walk is charmingly entitled Heretics and Horrors - Exploring London's Bloody Past. And although I've heard much about them already, I don't doubt that this guide will shed new light on 'em.. And afterwards, I'll move the last of my things - I'll be spending tomorrow night in the old place, you see, while they finish renovations on the new one: after all, they weren't anticipating me moving in until Monday! No problem at all.

On Monday, I'm with Kensington Classical Music, at Pushkin House, for a piano recital. Determined to get the moving done over the weekend, so I won't have to disturb my plans for the week - and this is one I can definitely walk to from my new place!

On Tuesday, London European Club has a very interesting evening planned - "Beat the January Blues and Discover the Curse of the Green Fairy". Basically, a lecture about absinthe, with tasting afterwards. Tragically, all tickets were sold out by the time I heard about it.. What the hey, I probably wouldn't like the taste anyway. With the free comedy in Hammersmith cancelled again, I'm with TNT Comedy again that night. Provisionally. But they were friendly folk, it's a lovely venue, and I wouldn't mind at all.

On Wednesday, the Man with the Hat is taking London for Less Than a Tenner to Top Secret - inaugural visit of the year. And walkable from my new office! I'm liking it..

Thursday, again nothing on Meetup - instead, I'm going to the opening night of Amaluna, Cirque du Soleil's latest show, at the Albert Hall! Cheapest tickets from the venue website, as long as you don't mind a slightly restricted view - for my money, a handrail in my sightline shouldn't prove too much of an obstacle. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

Monday 16th, I've booked for Festival of the Spoken Nerd, at Soho Theatre. Yes, it's a comedy.

Tuesday 17th, I had signed up for free comedy in Hammersmith (!) with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and London Live Comedy. But.. then I saw that Funzing UK had advertised Rising Stars: East England Burlesque Festival 2017. So I booked that instead - hey, I can get straight there on the Central Line! And I love burlesque. After booking, I got an email from them to point out that there are two events there that night, and that to avoid confusion, the name of mine has been changed to "Star Watch"..

Wednesday 18th, I've signed up with London Speaks Sessions, London for a Tenner or Less (as usual, NOT to be confused with the Man with the Hat), and LDN Talks @Night (or more particularly with Funzing) for a talk on The Science of Psychedelics.

Thursday 19th, free comedy in Hammersmith.. same two groups as above.

Friday 20th, I'm finally headed to The Comedy About a Bank Robbery, at the Criterion Theatre. Same team that did The Play That Goes Wrong - which is excellent - so I'm looking forward to this. Best value tickets from the venue.

Saturday 21st, I'm out with the Man with the Hat again - this time, it's Woolf Works, a Wayne McGregor triptych, inspired by the works of Virginia Woolf and showing at the Royal Opera House. Both his groups are going - as usual, I have a cheap seat.

Sunday 22nd, the ever-busy Man with the Hat is headed (with Let's Do London - for less!) to a dance production - at Sadler's Wells, unusually for him. The Red Shoes, choreographed by Matthew Bourne, is completely sold out for its whole run. Our Man with the Hat has tickets, though.. but he held them back (under his hat, as you might say), with sales starting at 11am on New Year's Day. They sold out in 15 minutes - I checked. That's the speed of U2's ticket sales.. of course, being a seasoned purchaser of U2 tickets, I managed to get one. All he needs now are a stetson and some glasses.. (speaking of which, good news from the U2 camp. Watch this space..)

No comments:

Post a Comment