Thursday 5 January 2017

Circus: La Soirée

Roll up, roll up.. another January, another La Soirée! Nice not to have anything on Meetup, for once - gives me a chance to return to the old favourites. I see I last saw this last January.. but for the first time, the Udderbelly Festival - which is hosting it - has now decamped to Leicester Square! I also discovered that the official tickets for tonight were completely sold out - however, I could get tickets from no fewer than five different sources: ShowFilmFirst, OnlineTheatreTickets, TheatrePeople, LondonBoxOffice, and BestOfTheatre. All for a markup of over £10, at least on the cheapest tickets - whatever, I love the show, and this is near the end of the run. I was delighted to get a ticket at all. Booked with the first on the list - ShowFilmFirst; they were all the same price, anyway.

Got the bus there. One of the fun things about bus travel is the variety - the fastest journey can change from one minute to the next, and can change completely depending on where you are when you ask. Or when - I knew I wouldn't make it to the bus stop they suggested, in time for the bus that they said would arrive there at a certain time. So I went with the next option on the list - and Google Maps' bus arrival time estimate is quite accurate, I must say! Sadly, it involved a change, and I had a cold, shivery wait for a few minutes on King's Road - during which I had time to admire the lunacy of the shop window behind me. £200 for a jumper, reduced from £300?! As the saying goes, are they crazy or am I? More money than sense, I say.

The next bus was the #22, which is one of the great - cheap - tourist routes, running through Chelsea, Sloane Square and Knightsbridge, before dropping you at Piccadilly Circus. And with the Christmas lights still up, it was a beautiful drive - honestly though, by the end, I was nodding off. See, I was up late blogging, and when I woke today and it was after 9, I decided I'd better get up, to get to the bank to lodge some cash in my account. Just in case the estate agents got organised for me to pay, so there's be no delay. Well, all that went swimmingly - unfortunately, it did mean I only got about four hours' sleep..

I'm not best familiar with the walk from there to Leicester Square, so had the phone out all the way, displaying the Maps app. Which was unfortunate, because it meant one of my hands had to be gloveless - and this was not the weather for it! Well, I found my way, and after a brief nosey around the Christmas market - pretty, but I'm Christmassed out these days - approached the Spiegeltent, the obvious venue for the show. I hadn't seen a box office outside, and had forgotten that they do it inside for this show.

I hadn't been made to print the email confirmation, except for my own reference, but sometimes it makes it easier for box office staff, who can process you faster. She was glad to take mine this evening, and crossed me off the list - upon seeing that I had a booth seat though, and there was only one of me, she said, ach, let's put you up front. (Whee!) And so I got one of the red wristbands:


On entering the performance area, an usher checked how many of me there were, and asked did I want to sit in the front? Now, I've seen this show before.. "Eh, not right in the front!" So she sat me in the second row. Result! I checked after a bit, and what I paid for a cheaper seat in the booths at the back was the standard price for a ringside seat - there only seem to be two price levels, this time. So I did get my money's worth!



Never disappoints, this show. The Irish singer from the last time I saw it has been replaced by a stunning American lady, with a terrific voice and an array of dazzling costumes. Old favourites return - the English Gents, in particular, minus the bubble-blowing this time: but it was cool to be close enough to see the strain on their faces as they performed their feats of strength. And as usual, the greatest cheers were reserved for when they stripped off their shirts. The inimitable contortionist, Captain Frodo - although I doubt his falling off the stage while wrapped around tennis racquets was intentional, it was hilarious.

Acts I hadn't seen before included an inimitable pair of clowns, apparently known as Daredevil Chicken, and a juggler who insisted on flinging her balls into the audience. You're not really safe anywhere ringside for this show - the girl beside me got her drink spilled all over her during this act. Not because the ball splashed into it - no, it landed square in her lap, she got a fright and jumped. Pity the usher, trawling the hall during the interval, searcing for the discarded balls. Also expect - in other acts - flying food and full nudity. A circus not for kids, as they say in the ads.

Speaking of nudity, it was only when she stripped off that I thought Ursula Martinez looked familiar - oh yeah, the comedian from Soho Theatre who stripped naked and ran down the street outside! Yes, La Soirée sees her demonstrate the Hanky Panky act, where this red hanky keeps disappearing into different parts of her wardrobe, which are then discarded. Apparently, she's a founder member of La Soirée.. and this is the swansong for Hanky Panky.

Ah, a terrific show, as ever. Runs until Sunday, and I really can't stress enough how good it is - definitely one of the best in town. Recommended!

Tomorrow, I got a cheap ticket (phew! that evens out a bit - especially considering the whopping deposit I just paid) - to Antigone, at Theatro Technis, in Camden. Would be lovely to have moved into the new place by then, but the b*****ds are insisting I can't, before Monday. Fat lot of good that is to me, with work starting that day! Now I have to try and find a removal man to work in the evening.

Saturday has turned out unusually busy. See, a while ago, I saw that the guide on the excellent Christmas lights walk I did was doing a walk of Victorian Covent Garden that day, and I booked. Then the London European Club advertised an "Arab Christmas" - a concert of early Arab Christian chants! Ah well now.. unfortunately, it's on the same day as my walk. Fortunately, the walk is at lunchtime and the concert in the evening! I booked for that as well. That's in Rich Mix.

On Sunday, I'm on another walk - again, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts - same guide, different group from the Christmas Lights walk. This walk is charmingly entitled Heretics and Horrors - Exploring London's Bloody Past. And although I've heard much about them already, I don't doubt that this guide will shed new light on 'em..

On Monday, I'm with Kensington Classical Music, at Pushkin House, for a piano recital. Unless I spend the evening moving - ironic, considering how close it is to my new place!

On Tuesday, London European Club has a very interesting evening planned - "Beat the January Blues and Discover the Curse of the Green Fairy". Basically, a lecture about absinthe, with tasting afterwards. Tragically, all tickets were sold out by the time I heard about it.. What the hey, I probably wouldn't like the taste anyway. With the free comedy in Hammersmith cancelled again, I'm with TNT Comedy again that night. Provisionally. But they were friendly folk, it's a lovely venue, and I wouldn't mind at all. Still, I may sacrifice the evening to a move.

On Wednesday, the Man with the Hat is taking London for Less Than a Tenner to Top Secret - inaugural visit of the year. And walkable from my new office! I'm liking it..

Thursday, again nothing on Meetup - instead, I'm going to the opening night of Amaluna, Cirque du Soleil's latest show, at the Albert Hall! Cheapest tickets from the venue website, as long as you don't mind a slightly restricted view - for my money, a handrail in my sightline shouldn't prove too much of an obstacle. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

Monday 16th, I've booked for Festival of the Spoken Nerd, at Soho Theatre. Yes, it's a comedy.

Tuesday 17th, I had signed up for free comedy in Hammersmith (!) with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and London Live Comedy. But.. then I saw that Funzing UK had advertised Rising Stars: East England Burlesque Festival 2017. So I booked that instead - hey, I can get straight there on the Central Line! And I love burlesque. After booking, I got an email from them to point out that there are two events there that night, and that to avoid confusion, the name of mine has been changed to "Star Watch"..

Wednesday 18th, I've signed up with London Speaks Sessions, London for a Tenner or Less (as usual, NOT to be confused with the Man with the Hat), and LDN Talks @Night (or more particularly with Funzing) for a talk on The Science of Psychedelics.

Thursday 19th, free comedy in Hammersmith.. same two groups as above.

Friday 20th, I'm finally headed to The Comedy About a Bank Robbery, at the Criterion Theatre. Same team that did The Play That Goes Wrong - which is excellent - so I'm looking forward to this. Best value tickets from the venue.

Saturday 21st, I'm out with the Man with the Hat again - this time, it's Woolf Works, a Wayne McGregor triptych, inspired by the works of Virginia Woolf and showing at the Royal Opera House. Both his groups are going - as usual, I have a cheap seat.

Sunday 22nd, the ever-busy Man with the Hat is headed (with Let's Do London - for less!) to a dance production - at Sadler's Wells, unusually for him. The Red Shoes, choreographed by Matthew Bourne, is completely sold out for its whole run. Our Man with the Hat has tickets, though.. but he held them back (under his hat, as you might say), with sales starting at 11am on New Year's Day. They sold out in 15 minutes - I checked. That's the speed of U2's ticket sales.. of course, being a seasoned purchaser of U2 tickets, I managed to get one. All he needs now are a stetson and some glasses.. (speaking of which, good news from the U2 camp. Watch this space..) 

No comments:

Post a Comment