Saturday 21 January 2017

Ballet: Woolf Works

Must have been quite a while ago that the Man with the Hat advertised Woolf Works, at the Opera House. I do notice that it's available as part of a triple deal.. and funnily enough, he has tickets to both other events in the deal as well. What the hey, it makes for a very good night out. Both London for Less than a Tenner and Let's Do London! for less were going - as usual, I booked the cheap seats in the slips, with London for Less Than a Tenner. Very much not the inferior option, as well as being cheaper, these seats are actually closer to the stage. Suits me just fine.

Well, it was a matinee, and I headed down to the office as soon as I was ready. It's on the way, and has free WiFi and food. No argument. Squeezed through the automatic doors - which aren't automatic at weekends - signed the book, and I was in. Discovered someone there actually doing work, who was surprised to see me. Did some internet stuff, killed some time, had some brunch, and left - still quite early. Ended up in Covent Garden Market, listening to the most fantastic busking opera singer. And finally went to stand in the freezing cold, at the meeting point outside the opera house. On the way, I ended up passing Souk! So here's one photo, at least -




I don't envy the Man with the Hat, who stays at the meeting point until everyone has their tickets - which can take a while. Not on a day like today, I certainly don't, with air that would freeze your face. Anyway, a whole heap of us arrived together, and - having got our pre-allocated tickets - schlepped off upstairs, leaving him to it. In plenty of time to get a drink, of course.

Woolf Works is a triptych of ballets, based on the works of Virginia Woolf. Many thanks to the person who researched her works last night - never occurred to me: occupational hazard of not being able to access the internet at will. Anyway, these ballets were based on Mrs. Dalloway, Orlando, and The Waves.

I think that most people in our group found the first piece, based on Mrs. Dalloway, the most accessible, having an apparently comprehensible storyline. The second piece, in contrast, was pretty abstract, with a dramatic light show. The third was calmer - again, more accessible, with waves crashing in slow motion on a screen behind - but over the three pieces, the common thread was the most beautiful, soothing score. Not always easy to understand, all the same these pieces were beautiful to watch, beautiful to listen to. Runs until the 14th, recommended.

Afterwards, we were off to the Sun again, same tables booked by the windows upstairs. They hadn't been vacated yet, despite the notes that had been placed on the tables to say they were booked from 4:30. Never mind - what followed was possibly the greatest movement of people since the partition of India and Pakistan. A great horde of people moved out, to be replaced by a great horde of us. Ah, the Power of the Hat, eh? So, he saw us settled, and then off he fecked. We hung on for a couple of hours - pity the only food available was crisps: nothing wrong with them, but I've had better here. And now, having fed myself from the office, I'm off home..


Tomorrow, the ever-busy Man with the Hat is headed (with Let's Do London - for less!) to a dance production - at Sadler's Wells, unusually for him. The Red Shoes, choreographed by Matthew Bourne, is completely sold out for its whole run. Our Man with the Hat has tickets, though.. but he held them back (under his hat, as you might say), with sales starting at 11am on New Year's Day. They sold out in 15 minutes - I checkedThat's the speed of U2's ticket sales.. of course, being a seasoned purchaser of U2 tickets, I managed to get one. All he needs now are a stetson and some glasses.. (Mind you, I think U2 broke records this year for speed of selling out. U2 are touring, you see, and I have tickets. Purchasing still in progress. Watch this space..)

On Monday, I've provisionally agreed to go to Cineworld with Mary. She won a couple of Cineworld vouchers in a raffle, you see, and has very kindly offered me one! The nearest to me are the cinemas in Leicester Square and Haymarket, and the best showing in them is La La Land, so that's the rough plan, as it stands.

Tuesday sees me at the Royal Society, for a talk on "Can our immune systems fight cancer?", a Meetup organised by the London European Club.

Wednesday, London for Less Than a Tenner is back at Top Secret.

On Thursday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club at last, at the Art House Crouch End. First meeting of the year, and not actually advertised on Meetup! I saw it on their flier for Crouch End, and booked. Anyway, the title is Rebranding Beelzebub, which is certainly enough to get me there! And I now live closer to it than I did the last time I was there.

Back to Ireland next weekend, and on Monday 30, I'm back with Funzing UK for Eat Zagi - an immersive dining & theatre experience. I had some fun booking it, when the bank thought it was a fraud and kindly stopped my card, so I had to ring them at 2am.. in the meantime, I did find a discount code, so it wasn't all bad. Try "EnjoyFunzing5". Actually, why not try "EnjoyFunzing10"? That's a code too. Anyway, againI'm closer to this venue in Finsbury Park than I was before..

Tuesday 31, I'm headed for Sex with Strangers at Hampstead Theatre. First Meetup of the year with London Dramatic Arts. Dunno, I think it was that she had seats at both levels of the theatre, so it would've been too hard to avoid them..

Wednesday 1, the Man with the Hat is starting the month again. Let's Do London - for less! is off to the Opera House for La Traviata.

Thursday 2, he's taking both groups to Cadogan Hall for a concert involving the works of Brahms and Elgar, among others.

Friday 3 promises to be unusual.. the Crick Crack Club is hosting a late-night storytelling event at the Wellcome Collection. Mustn't forget to book tickets for the actual storytelling - they go on sale on the 27th.

And finally, Saturday 4, I'm finally going to the much-advertised British Museum Tour - Ideas That Made our World. A Funzing event, as advertised by two of their Meetup groups - London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night. So I booked with both..




No comments:

Post a Comment