Wednesday 4 January 2017

Ballet: The Nutcracker

The day started unusually early, with a room-viewing.. I'll take it! Well, it satisfied the basic criteria, and with that location, it'd have had to be pretty awful not to be acceptable to me. I'd gotten up late - of course - and needed to eat when I came out. I was going to be walking to the Opera House (how lovely is that?!), so decided to eat in the first decent place I passed. As luck would have it, there was a very attractive Italian - Sergio's - at the end of the road. Yep, that'd do.

They were festively festooned with Christmas lights, and when I went in, the place was deserted, but for the manager, doing the books, and a waiter looking over his shoulder. No problem at all madam - which of these tables would you like? So I picked one, nipped downstairs to the loo, came up and chose. Garlic pizza bread - yes please. Eh - why not go for the "pollo sorpresa" (chicken kiev)? And a large glass of chenin blanc.

The complimentary breadsticks took the edge off my hunger, and were yummy. The pizza bread was delish - and that black pepper they always offer did quite improve it! I wasn't finished by the time they brought my main - what the hey, I just pushed it over the side. The waiter took the knife I'd used for it - it was too hot to hold initially - and didn't bring me another. Quite sensible really - the butter knife did perfectly well. And the chicken - piping hot - was also delish. But what with the garlic bread, the chicken, and the sautee potatoes that came with it - I couldn't finish them.

Which left room for dessert, of course; there's a separate stomach for that. And when the passing waiter noticed that my glass was nearly empty and asked whether I'd have another, why, of course I did! I had to ask twice for a dessert menu, but by and large the service was brisk and friendly. And of course, I had the chocolate fudge cake - I consider it a mark of a seriously good restaurant that he asked whether I'd like a scoop of ice cream. It arrived on a nice glass plate, decorated with scoops of cream with hundreds & thousands on top, and a couple of those gorgeous chocolate-lined breadsticks that I used to live on, as a student. Just a pity the cake itself - which was ok in general - was a teensy bit stale.. I think next time, I'd have ice cream. To finish, they brought a complimentary limoncello, in a little glass with a flashing bulb in the base, that stopped when it was empty. Ahh, cute!

Lots of advertising for parties - they have a downstairs area, complete with bar, which is ideal for the purpose. And damn it, they have a £20 voucher on the website, good this month - I could have done with that, it wasn't cheap! Ah well, 'tis only money.. she whimpered.

I was glad to get some exercise, strolling towards the Opera House.


Predictably, I was looking forward to this - the first event of the year with my favourite group! I picked up a free paper, but standing outside the Opera House was a bit uncomfortable, and me still trying to digest. Nearest seating was in Covent Garden Piazza - they've had swing benches there for a while now that don't actually swing, and have had their Christmas decorations removed, but my, they provide a welcome seat! Bit chilly, but worth it, on balance.

When I'd finished my paper, I moseyed back the way I'd come, to discover the Man with the Hat taping a Meetup sign to the construction hoarding. And chatting to someone who'd beaten me to it! Wasn't long, mind, before a swarm of early-arrivers descended upon him. So we all got our tickets, and headed up together, leaving him in the cold. We were early enough to have a drink (my liver was now whimpering, but well, I was driven to it), and early enough even to grab a seat on the sofa in the Amphiteatre bar! Ooh, the luxury - note, you really have to get there more than half an hour before the performance, if you want to get a seat..

They started a bit late, as usual - but how comforting it was to hear the opening strains of The Nutcracker. Seems to be the same production as last year - you won't hear me complaining, I think it really can't be bettered.. What a magical production, snow falling on the stage, the magician scattering gold dust from his flowing cape. As the fantasy sequence starts, the Christmas tree grows - in a shower of gold dust, the mice grow life-size, the dolls come to life. The second act starts with dancers moving through a thick, dreamlike mist.

At the interval, on one of the stalls, I noticed something that called this "the ballet for children" - I agree, it's kind of perfect. What with the familiar music, the short set-pieces in the second half, the fairly simple plot, and Clara sitting at the edge of the stage as an observer, when not actually taking part, and echoing our delight at the unfolding fantasy.. I think it brings out the inner child in us all. I can't recommend it highly enough - and like someone else in the group, if this production is running next year.. count me in! This year, it runs until Thursday next week, but only the next two days still have tickets. Go see.

I only had water at the interval, and a very annoyed stomach meant I couldn't even finish that. Also, we didn't head outside - for one thing, it was quite cold - and the bar was quite warm, so that I started to feel a bit wobbly. A spell back in my seat fixed me, and I was fine by the time we shiveringly congregated outside after the show to find out which pub we were headed to. The Sun it was, and we gratefully hurried up there. Unfortunately, as we were headed upstairs - as is our wont - we were told that the upstairs was closed. Now, the Man with the Hat had booked tables - of which they had no record. Hmph. Well, we were few enough that we just about fitted around a downstairs table, and a rather inapproprately morbid chat was had, amply fuelled by the wine that the Host with the Hat kindly bought for us. And before he escaped, early again (tsk!), he was prevailed upon to buy crisps. So we were well sorted. And yes, I think I did end up drinking most of that bottle of white as well.. And I think it must all have cancelled itself out, because I quite ably walked a straight line to the bus stop.

Feeling quite fine now, thank you - I credit the consumption of some very vinegary snacks, and apparently vinegar is a fine thing to counteract the effects of alcohol. Looking forward to a nice sleep - after I collect some info for the estate agent; I'd really love to get this sorted and move in before I start work next week. Anyway, not much happening with Meetup at the end of the week - but when has that stopped me going out?! Tomorrow, I'm headed to another festive tradition of mine - I love La Soirée, and the fact that I've already seen it twice - and it's much the same each time - makes no difference. Another Christmas tradition. I see I last saw it last January.. but for the first time, the Udderbelly Festival - which is hosting it - has now decamped to Leicester Square! I also discovered that the official tickets for that night were completely sold out - however, I could get tickets from no fewer than five different sources: ShowFilmFirst, OnlineTheatreTickets, TheatrePeople, LondonBoxOffice, and BestOfTheatre. All for a markup of over £10, at least on the cheapest tickets - whatever, I love the show, and this is near the end of the run. I was delighted to get a ticket at all. Booked with the first on the list - ShowFilmFirst; they were all the same price, anyway.

On Friday, in contrast, I got a cheap ticket (phew! that evens out a bit) - to Antigone, at Theatro Technis, in Camden. Would be lovely to have moved into the new place by then, but it depends on all the red tape being completed.

Saturday has turned out unusually busy. See, a while ago, I saw that the guide on the excellent Christmas lights walk I did was doing a walk of Victorian Covent Garden that day, and I booked. Then the London European Club advertised an "Arab Christmas" - a concert of early Arab Christian chants! Ah well now.. unfortunately, it's on the same day as my walk. Fortunately, the walk is at lunchtime and the concert in the evening! I booked for that as well. Funnily enough, that's in Rich Mix, which is closer to my current flat - I may spend that night there, even if I have the other one by then.

On Sunday, I'm on another walk - again, with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts - same guide, different group from the Christmas Lights walk. This walk is charmingly entitled Heretics and Horrors - Exploring London's Bloody Past. And although I've heard much about them already, I don't doubt that this guide will shed new light on 'em..

On Monday, I'm with Kensington Classical Music, at Pushkin House, for a piano recital. Oh gosh, I hope I'm in the new flat - it's so close to this venue you wouldn't believe!!

On Tuesday, London European Club has a very interesting evening planned - "Beat the January Blues and Discover the Curse of the Green Fairy". Basically, a lecture about absinthe, with tasting afterwards. Tragically, all tickets were sold out by the time I heard about it.. What the hey, I probably wouldn't like the taste anyway. With the free comedy in Hammersmith cancelled again, I'm with TNT Comedy again that night. Provisionally. But they were friendly folk, it's a lovely venue, and I wouldn't mind at all.

On Wednesday, the Man with the Hat is taking London for Less Than a Tenner to Top Secret - inaugural visit of the year. And walkable from my new office! I'm liking it..

Thursday 12th, again nothing on Meetup - instead, I'm going to the opening night of Amaluna, Cirque du Soleil's latest show, at the Albert Hall! Cheapest tickets from the venue website, as long as you don't mind a slightly restricted view - for my money, a handrail in my sightline shouldn't prove too much of an obstacle. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

Monday 16th, I've booked for Festival of the Spoken Nerd, at Soho Theatre. Yes, it's a comedy.

Tuesday 17th, I had signed up for free comedy in Hammersmith (!) with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, and London Live Comedy. But.. then I saw that Funzing UK had advertised Rising Stars: East England Burlesque Festival 2017. So I booked that instead - hey, I can get straight there on the Central Line! And I love burlesque. After booking, I got an email from them to point out that there are two events there that night, and that to avoid confusion, the name of mine has been changed to "Star Watch"..

Wednesday 18th, I've signed up with London Speaks Sessions, London for a Tenner or Less (as usual, NOT to be confused with the Man with the Hat), and LDN Talks @Night (or more particularly with Funzing) for a talk on The Science of Psychedelics.

Thursday 19th, free comedy in Hammersmith.. same two groups as above.

Friday 20th, I'm finally headed to The Comedy About a Bank Robbery, at the Criterion Theatre. Same team that did The Play That Goes Wrong - which is excellent - so I'm looking forward to this. Best value tickets from the venue.

Saturday 21st, I'm out with the Man with the Hat again - this time, it's Woolf Works, a Wayne McGregor triptych, inspired by the works of Virginia Woolf and showing at the Royal Opera House. Both his groups are going - as usual, I have a cheap seat.

Sunday 22nd, the ever-busy Man with the Hat is headed (with Let's Do London - for less!) to a dance production - at Sadler's Wells, unusually for him. The Red Shoes, choreographed by Matthew Bourne, is completely sold out for its whole run. Our Man with the Hat has tickets, though.. but he held them back (under his hat, as you might say), with sales starting at 11am on New Year's Day. They sold out in 15 minutes - I checked. That's the speed of U2's ticket sales.. of course, being a seasoned purchaser of U2 tickets, I managed to get one. All he needs now are a stetson and some glasses.. (speaking of which, good news from the U2 camp. Watch this space..)

No comments:

Post a Comment