Monday 19 December 2016

Storytelling: The Remarkable Tale of Robert Desnos

The last Crick Crack meeting of the year - I was delighted I could go. As they said, this would have something of a different flavour - they were to tell the story of Robert Desnos, an inmate at Buchenwald. However, even had that put me off (which it wouldn't have), one of the storytellers was the sublime Clare Murphy, who has a style that has made her my favourite of all the excellent storytellers I've heard with the club. So I booked - always advisable with these events.

I became very, very tired this afternoon - I think it's something like post-traumatic stress, after everything I've been through in the last few months. I actually had a short nap before setting out, which made me feel much better - and left in plenty of time, as I intended to take the bus. Set out nice and early - 44 to Victoria, and around the corner to catch the 38. Had just missed one, but just as I was checking to see which other I could get, along comes another 38. Nice and swiftly into town then, no major traffic snags, and plenty of beautiful Christmas lights - as well as being the cheapest form of public transport, this is another reason why I love the bus: you get to see so much more. Sadly, we sped past them too quickly for me to get any photos.

Past the crowds blocking the pavement, and arrived at Soho Theatre 20 minutes early - after getting my ticket, I joined the growing crowd in the lobby, waiting for the upstairs venue to open. With people arriving apace, the poor guy with the headset started to look quite anxious, and I think he was rather relieved when he finally got the nod, and could let us up. On the top level, Ben Haggerty was reclining on the side table, beaming at us as we streamed in. I managed to get front row centre - and, of course, as usual, they were urging us not to leave any empty spaces in the middle, as it would fill up..


Pictured are not audience seats, of course - these were on stage. And with one on either side for the storytellers, as you might guess, the centre chair seats a photograph of Robert Desnos, its back to the audience to the show, only turned around at the end. The other storyteller, by the way, was one I'd never heard of - it turns out that Daniel Morden is Welsh, and also a writer of children's stories. And you can tell there's something wrong with his mouth.. as it transpires, he had cancer in his jaw, for which he received chemotherapy. Gosh, of all things to happen to a storyteller..! Anyway, it hasn't affected what turned out to be a wicked sense of humour.. first time I've ever heard anyone answer back to Ben Haggerty as he was introducing them!

You might think that a story from a concentration camp isn't the most suitable for this environment - but actually, their take on it is that Robert Desnos was, himself, a storyteller, and inspired others to do the same. And most of the evening was spent relating stories that the prisoners are supposed to have told to each other, liberating their minds and spirits from the horror that was unfolding around them. Each storyteller took turns, and my, they do work well together. They have a similar style, quite physical, with parts of the stories that are demonstrated by body language, rather than spoken. Daniel might have unusual speech, owing to problems with his jaw, but he's used to making himself understood, I think - and he was absolutely hilarious tonight!

There was spontaneous applause after a couple of stories in the second half - me, I felt like doing so after most of them. You know, it's not what you tell, it's the way that you tell it - and this pair are just so entertaining. Nary a joke was missed in what was a much more lighthearted evening than we might have expected. And it was lovely to discover that the last story - the one where Desnos, unloaded from a cart with other prisoners, facing death in the gas chambers, starts reading their palms and predicting long and happy futures - is reproduced in the Wikipedia article about him. Spoiler: he altered the whole mood of the gathering so much that the guards were unable to go through with the executions, and took them back to the camp.

Man, this was fantastic! What a way to end the year - look forward to the next meeting with them, which is over a month away. Tomorrow, my last event of the year with the Man with the Hat (sniff!) will be on a trip to the West End. He's scored tickets in the front two rows of the stalls for Dead Funny, at the Vaudeville Theatrefor Let's Do London - for less! Ooh now.. today, mindful of the problems sourcing a pub at this time of year (especially for a group), he told us he wouldn't meet us at the pub beforehand, but had booked space in a local pub for "some of us" after.. gee, could this be a repeat of the night when Mary and I wandered the streets of Soho, after a show, in search of a pub? :-) Perhaps we should have a 100-yard dash to win seats..

And on Wednesday, my very last thing before I fly back to Ireland for Christmas was supposed to be a presentation on data collection apps, courtesy of Org London. Anyway, Helen is coming to town, and when I saw Christmas in Clerkenwell - a Guided Walk for Shelter, with London Social DetoursI ran it by her, and we're going on that instead.. got cash for it today. And then I fly back to Ireland on Thursday, for Christmas..

Then things shall get very quiet for Christmas. I fly back to London on Monday 2 January. On Tuesday 3rd, I have my trusty placeholder of Free Comedy in Hammersmith - gee, it's been a while now since I actually went to one of those! Anyway, assuming I show up, I'm booked with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and FarringdonLondon Art Comedy & Culture LoversLondon Live ComedyRandom London, and London for a Tenner or Less and Funzing UK (both Funzing groups, and both advertising the thing twice). My, that's a lot to cancel, if I do.. On the other hand, if I don't, it'll be the time in months that my car will have been driven!

On Thursday 4 January, yes, I'm back with the Man with the Hat (no, not Santa Claus) - Let's Do London - for less! is off on their annual festive trip to The Nutcracker (ahh!) at the Opera House. Sold out performance, I see. It'll be great to see the folks again - I'll miss them over Christmas.


And on Friday 5 January, I'm (nominally) back in Hammersmith - this time, only with London Live Comedy, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, Funzing UK. and London for a Tenner or Less. Once only with each!

No comments:

Post a Comment