Tuesday 13 December 2016

Play: Fool for Love

Well here we go, the first of a hat-trick of Man with the Hat events. To paraphrase Mary. Tonight, Let's Do London - for less! were off to a completely new venue - a pop-up theatre called Found111 - to see a production of Fool for Love. An overflow from the Soho Theatre, basically, which needed, and found, a space..

Well, Google Maps succeeded in finding it, and I determined the buses to get, leaving in plenty of time - as usual, the quickest route was a bus to Victoria, then another from there. As usual, again, the journey to Victoria wasn't the problem - and I hardly had to wait for the connecting bus. No, it was the journey from Victoria into town that took the time - but I had plenty of it, and didn't worry.

Alighting at the Denmark Street stop, Google Maps told me to walk ahead, so I kept my eyes open - and there it was:

Yep, "Found", all right! Also closed - but I was quite early. Being just up from Foyles bookshop, I mooched around there for a while until I figured that Found would be open - almost bought something, then didn't, in the end.

By the time I returned, yes it was open, bouncer on the door, and a long passageway ahead, at the end of which was a desk. And I could just see the peak of a Hat, around the corner - sure enough, there he was, with a great big wad of tickets. Got mine, then left to follow someone else upstairs, as the Man with the Hat dealt with yet another of his flock, who'd come in just behind me.

O Lordy, I had no idea how many stairs were ahead of me! Nor have I any idea how long it's been since I climbed so many. Someone later remarked that it was great exercise - eh, yes, I suppose so. I eventually passed the ladies' toilets - then the gents', on the next floor up - then a sign saying "almost there".. and finally met a person, standing on the side, who informed me that the bar was through here. O phew.

The stairs surround a lift shaft, but discussing it afterwards, we weren't sure whether there was an actual lift. Or how you'd get upstairs if you had mobility problems. Well hey, we made it, and settled ourselves comfortably in a corner of the bar. Drinks - including a rather decent house white - were served in an eclectic mix of containers: the regular wine in a tumbler, the mulled wine in enamel mugs, lager in pewter tankards. I think, if you wanted a small wine, you could have got it in a cocktail glass.. someone having lager complained of the metallic taste from the tankard, but otherwise we were enamoured of our unusual vessels.

When showtime rolled around, someone came through the bar to tell everyone - I could've gone for another drink, but passed, on the basis that, in this building, I might require hand-eye coordination to go the final distance. Sure enough - we were headed upstairs again..

Not as far this time. Seating was assigned, and I was directed straight across to my seat at the front of the stage. Which meant crossing the stage, which for some reason was covered in dirt - maybe the floor surface was bad. Maybe it just provided a soft landing for the various bits of the play where people end up on the floor. Anyway, the seating was as eclectic as the drinking vessels, a motley assortment of chairs, some with cushions, some upholstered. Me, I sat on my coat - the show was only just over an hour long anyway.

Right - I throw my hands up and admit it - before this, I had never, ever heard of the McGann brothers. The oldest, Joe, is in this, you see - and indeed, was drinking with the cast, very near us in the bar, afterwards. I caused consternation with my lack of knowledge - but really, looking up his career, it seems to have been on stage, and on tv programmes I've never watched (or hardly), most of which I've never heard of. So there! Definitely never heard of him, or his brothers.

Luke Neal also stars - sorry, never seen him in anything either, although he has been in some films, it transpires. No, the only one I should remember is Lydia Wilson, whom I've seen in a few things.

Not that it matters a damn - the acting was excellent all round. In short (and it is a short play, so in order not to give too much away, I can't really give many specifics).. it hits with a hammer-blow. It's so intense that it couldn't be much longer - an hour is plenty, with all the emotion that they fit in. Indeed, many people remarked at all the door-banging that they did.. me, I worried they'd bring the set down. The play opens with a couple in a motel room - well, they used to be a couple, and frankly, both come across as pretty demented. Arguments ensue - and who is the older man that keeps hanging around the edge of the stage?

This is the second Sam Shepard play I've seen recently, the other being Buried Child, currently showing in Trafalgar Studios - sometimes both are considered part of the same series. Certainly, you could make that argument for these two plays, which both deal wth the breakdown of the traditional family, and the consequences of hiding dark secrets. Oh, and people that I was with came out of both a bit confused.. but I think this play demonstrates more clearly than Buried Child, perhaps, that it ain't about the plot, it's about the emotions, and motivations. Anyway, Fool for Love is highly recommended, especially if you like a bit of high drama. Plays until Saturday. And a notice on the way in warns you that there are flashing lights - and a lasso..

Back down to the bar, a floor or so below, afterwards, and we occupied a corner for some time after everyone else had left. Mind you, we only did order one drink (each) - I was lucky to get in first, it took the others several minutes to get served, what with only one barman. And people ordering cocktails, which take longer. After the initial rush though, it was quiet as the grave at the bar, which closed early. And so home, via Waterloo, with Mary.


Nice to see some people taking their Christmas decorations seriously..


Tomorrow sees London for Less Than a Tenner on what will probably be their final trip of the year to Top Secret. Back to two shows, which is nice - especially for £1. And Nick Dixon is slated to appear - yay! I guess I count as a "night owl" (see event description). Well hey, can't disappoint my fans.. ;-) Anyway, the interview I've been waiting for - in Piccadilly - has finally been scheduled for tomorrow afternoon! Probably won't want to go home after, considering that Google Maps thinks the walk from there to Top Secret should take about seven minutes. It turns out that Mary has the day off, and is planning to be in town, shopping - we have a rough plan to meet after the interview, and I've talked her into going to Top Secret, too. Shopping bags n all..! Let's hope I have something to celebrate.. I doubt I'll hear the final decision tomorrow, but I'll be celebrating if it goes well..

In the final part of a triple bill (!), the Man with the Hat has just announced a new event for Let's Do London - for less! There I was with nothing definite organised for Thursday, and up he and his Hat pop with a Christmas concert at Cadogan Hall. With famous people in it, such as Aled Jones, who's hosting, and Dame Penelope Wilton, who's doing a reading. Now, that'll be nice, especially as he's going to something there in Christmas week, which I'll miss. I don't suppose the red hat with the pom-pom will make a reappearance for this..

I'm back to Ireland on Friday for the weekend, as it happens.. Back in London on Monday for my last week before Christmas, and it won't even be a full week.. on Monday, Crick Crack is doing something a bit different. They're at Soho Theatre, with The Remarkable Tale of Robert Desnos. This, apparently, was a surrealist poet incarcerated in Auschwitz - unusual fare for Crick Crack. One of the speakers is Clare Muireann Murphy - my favourite storyteller, and I'll be fascinated to see what she does with it.

On Tuesday, my last event of the year with the Man with the Hat (sniff!.. unless he surprises us) will be on a trip to the West End. He's scored tickets in the front two rows of the stalls for Dead Funny, at the Vaudeville Theatre, for Let's Do London - for less! Ooh now..

And on Wednesday of next week, my very last thing before I fly back to Ireland for Christmas? Umm, a presentation on data collection apps, courtesy of Org London. Eh, unless I don't. Well, it just doesn't sound very Christmassy, now does it?! And then I fly back to Ireland on Thursday of next week..

Then things shall get very quiet for Christmas. I fly back to London on Monday 2 January - still no word on what I'll be doing after that. But hey, I have one more defnite paycheck to come in, which will cover my rent for January, and I have quite a few things booked. On Tuesday 3rd, I have my trusty placeholder of Free Comedy in Hammersmith - gee, it's been a while now since I actually went to one of those! Anyway, assuming I show up, I'm booked with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, London Art Comedy & Culture Lovers, London Live Comedy, Random London, and London for a Tenner or Less and Funzing UK (both Funzing groups, and both advertising the thing twice). My, that's a lot to cancel, if I do..

On Thursday 4 January, yes, I'm back with the Man with the Hat (no, not Santa Claus) - Let's Do London - for less! is off on their annual festive trip to The Nutcracker (ahh!) at the Opera House. Sold out performance, I see. See now, even if I'm jobless, that's worth flying in for.

And on Friday 5 January, I'm (nominally) back in Hammersmith - this time, only with London Live Comedy, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, Funzing UK. and London for a Tenner or Less. Once only with each!

No comments:

Post a Comment