Saturday 10 December 2016

Play: Art

London Dramatic Arts were off tonight to a play called Art, at the Old Vic. Yes, I thought, I'll go too - but I got a cheaper ticket, up in the Gods. Now, as it happens, they had stalls seats at the time, but subsequently got seats in the Dress Circle as well.. which were cheaper than what I'd managed! Hey-ho, I already had my ticket.. and couldn't say it to them, given that they disapprove of people gettin' their own.

Anyway, I headed out in good time - caught the bus to Waterloo. Wasn't crowded, and I drowsed as we drove through the rain.. in fact, the driver forgot I was there, and I had to buzz to ask him to open the door so I could get off! Then I turned in the wrong direction - so used to going to the National. Nope, from where the #77 drops you, you continue straight ahead, down Waterloo Road until you come to the Old Vic, at the crossroads.

The lobby was damn crowded, which was good - I had to queue at the box office for my ticket, which wasn't, given that I was avoiding people. Well, I made it through that, and up the stairs - which skirt the Dress Circle bar, where I had a fair idea they'd be hanging out. In fact, I think I saw someone I know at a nearby table. I pulled my hood back up and continued to the floor above, where there was nobody I knew, and took my seat without delay. Can't fault the view:



Legroom was a little snug though, and I was glad the seat beside me was empty. Now, what you can see on stage beforehand actually represents the back of the canvas that causes all the trouble. See, there's this chap - Rufus Sewell - that buys a.. white painting, for a considerable amount of cash. Completely white. His friends are less than understanding, and the painting - over the course of the play - becomes the catalyst for them to examine the nature of their friendship.

It is a clever play - apparently, it caused a sensation on its first release, 20 years ago. Perhaps because it pokes some fun at the art world - I have to agree, I think a lot of contemporary art is just plain daft. Reminds me of a piece of art in the St. Pancras hotel that is presented as an "air sculpture" - you know, a plinth with some, eh, sculpted air on top. Cost £20,000. Seriously - I did a tour of the place once.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of hiccups. For one thing, I had to wonder - did Rufus Sewell have a throat infection, like the singer last night, or does he really have that weak a voice? At half the volume of his co-actors on stage tonight, I mused to myself that it's a good job he doesn't work primarily on stage - he'd never last. He was yelling all his lines just to be heard, which can't be comfortable.

And then there was Tim Key. Now, this was the very first performance, as it transpired - the first day, and while they normally have matinees on Saturdays, not today they didn't. Which probably contributed to him forgetting his lines. Honestly, I've never seen it happen so badly - he made an entrance and had quite a long speech to make. Really, he must have forgotten half of it - or perhaps that's just the impression I got, given that it took him so long to get over it. He stammered, he tried, he called for help from Maria, the helpful prompter in the wings. Again and again. And then he decided to make his entrance again. And it happened as before. So he made a third entrance. And still it happened. The audience were clapping and cheering - I guess if you've paid to come to the West End, you do want to make the most of it - but my thought was, this is so unprofessional! Seriously, they'd have done better just to hand him the script..

As someone remarked on the way out afterwards, it was a shame, because he didn't really finish the scene properly - was rushing it, couldn't get back into it. It seemed to be slightly contagious, because Rufus Sewell subsequently forgot a name he had to quote in one of his lines. That was over quicker, though. As tends to happen in these cases, they didn't take bows at the end - had they done so, I'd have liked to see Maria included, for her prompt prompting.

Well, I daresay it won't happen again. 90 minutes without interval, runs until 18 February. And is a decent play.. no sign, on the way out, of anyone I wanted to avoid, and I made my way home in the rain.


And how nice it is, when you're starting from the terminus, and the driver waves you on without paying, because the card machine hasn't warmed up yet..

Tomorrow, I'm off to the British Museum, where there's some storytelling going on. The Kalevala is, apparently, the national epic of Karelia and Finland, and I've signed up with Crick Crack - but am much more likely to hang out with the London European Club, who are going too. Long time no see! Of course, the show is sold out.. and yay, this one I have the confirmation email for!

No comments:

Post a Comment