Saturday 17 December 2016

Nuala's

Well, back in Ireland for the weekend, and my mother had to be taken to Mass this evening. Now, as it happens, with attendances at confession in freefall, the Church has been pragmatic, at this prime sacrament-going time of the year, and Tuamgraney Church had an absolution session at this evening's Mass. (To be fair, that's my reasoning for why they had it.) Basically, during the Mass, three priests positioned themselves at convenient locations in the small church, and people filed up to be forgiven - no actual confession involved, just a willingness to have hands laid on and words of absolution spoken.

Now, my mother reasonably considered this an extremely handy way of getting the thing done for Christmas - so we took ourselves off to Tuamgraney. And so we decided to eat in Nuala's beforehand - nice and early, in case they were busy, as they so often are. They have it very nicely decorated for Christmas, holly around the windows and pretty window decorations:



Well, we got a parking space outside (my car is the scruffy one in the photo - well, it does get left for about two weeks at a time, all year!), and my mother nipped in quickly enough to grab a table in front of a family that was bearing down on the place. We were soon given a menu, and saw that the individual menus now only include starters, lite bites, and kids' options. Aside from that, there's just the specials board, which is fixed to the wall, and smaller replicas of which are available to look at, at the tables.

I got a lovely whiff of curry as I came in, so that was a given, and we know the garlic mushrooms are very good here. Unfortunately, my mother's salmon wasn't available - she had the plaice fillets instead. And we had wine. And it all came pretty quickly - as usual, the mushrooms were great, and the curry delicious - although the chips were nothing special, and I left most (missing those UK pub chips!). My mother didn't comment on the plaice, but ate as much as she could - as she remarked afterwards, she should've asked for a half portion.. three fillets is quite unreasonable for one person, I think! She took the leftovers for the menagerie at home.

I'd asked for another glass of wine as my main course arrived, but it hadn't come by the time I finished it - I had to go to the bar and get it myself. I guess management wasn't around. For dessert, I had a rather lovely chocolate fudge cake - also rather filling - and my mother had a trifle, which she didn't like at all, and didn't finish - I believe it was too chewy. So, overall, another good meal - you just need to be careful what you order. And the fewer things you need the waiters to do, the better..


Back in London on Monday for my last week before Christmas - feels weird, actually, because it already feels like I'm on Christmas holidays! It won't even be a full week.. on MondayCrick Crack is doing something a bit different. They're at Soho Theatre, with The Remarkable Tale of Robert Desnos. This, apparently, was a surrealist poet incarcerated in Auschwitz - unusual fare for Crick Crack. One of the speakers is Clare Muireann Murphy - my favourite storyteller, and I'll be fascinated to see what she does with it.

On Tuesday, my last event of the year with the Man with the Hat (sniff!.. unless he surprises us) will be on a trip to the West End. He's scored tickets in the front two rows of the stalls for Dead Funny, at the Vaudeville Theatrefor Let's Do London - for less! Ooh now..

And on Wednesday, my very last thing before I fly back to Ireland for Christmas was supposed to be a presentation on data collection apps, courtesy of Org London. Anyway, Helen is coming to town, and when I saw Christmas in Clerkenwell - a Guided Walk for Shelter, with London Social DetoursI ran it by her, and we're going on that instead.. And then I fly back to Ireland on Thursday of next week, for Christmas..

Then things shall get very quiet for Christmas. I fly back to London on Monday 2 January. And that's perfectly ok, because since my last post, I got a job offer. :-) Seriously, it feels as though I've got a reprieve from a death sentence.. I can go on living in London, and that is a hell of a relief, because there's nowhere on earth I'd rather be.

On Tuesday 3rd, I have my trusty placeholder of Free Comedy in Hammersmith - gee, it's been a while now since I actually went to one of those! Anyway, assuming I show up, I'm booked with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and FarringdonLondon Art Comedy & Culture LoversLondon Live ComedyRandom London, and London for a Tenner or Less and Funzing UK (both Funzing groups, and both advertising the thing twice). My, that's a lot to cancel, if I do..

On Thursday 4 January, yes, I'm back with the Man with the Hat (no, not Santa Claus) - Let's Do London - for less! is off on their annual festive trip to The Nutcracker (ahh!) at the Opera House. Sold out performance, I see. It'll be great to see the folks again - I'll miss them over Christmas.


And on Friday 5 January, I'm (nominally) back in Hammersmith - this time, only with London Live Comedy, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, Funzing UK. and London for a Tenner or Less. Once only with each!

No comments:

Post a Comment