Thursday 15 December 2016

Christmas Concert for Children & the Arts

Have to say, the Man with the Hat played a blinder tonight. Before he made his announcement, it was looking like film for me - and top of the list (apart from The Mountain II, only showing in the Odeon Lee Valley) is I, Daniel Blake. Which I'm sure is good, but sounds awfully depressing..

Well, he - and his Hat - rode in and saved the day, just a couple of days ago, when he advertised top-price tickets to a Christmas concert for Children & the Arts, at Cadogan Hall, tonight, for Let's Do London - for less!.. and for a spectacular discount. Well, I booked as soon as I heard about it. Funnily enough, he advertised cheaper tickets for it through London for Less Than a Tenner, but got no take-up at all.. well hey, their loss.

Had another interview with California this evening, for goodness' sake - but this was close enough to me that it wouldn't take long to get there, and I didn't have an issue. The 319 bus goes straight to Sloane Square in about half an hour, and I'm familiar enough with Cadogan Hall not to need directions from there.



There was no-one on the door, and I just waltzed straight into the bar of Cadogan Hall, where - after a brief look-round - I located the Hat, the Man, and the group.

Of course,  much of the conversation was about my interview - which is awkward when I'm not sure how it went! (Quite well, but you never can tell.) When I was done with that, I made a move for drinkies.. a moment's panic at first, then I realised they'd moved the bar from where it was last time I was here! Perhaps for the Children & the Arts stand. Got drinkie, and it wasn't long till we were ushered upstairs.

We were in the gallery.. a lot of steps (there's even a sign warning you about them). Made it to the top without collapsing, and discovered that I had rather an excellent view:

 
And on our seats were these enormous free programmes, with the most gorgeous smell of paper.. I was sniffing it all night. This show really had something for everyone.. starting with a rendition of Deck the Halls, we were then treated to an entertaining introduction by Aled Jones, who even gave a brief, high-pitched, rendition of Walking Through the Air!

Miranda Raison read Alternative Santa, and Lisa Frend played the flute for a couple of numbers. And then the Parkgate House School Choir filed on for Silent Night.. and they were so tiny!! Much ahh-ing ensued. After they'd filed off again, Danielle de Niese came on - in quite the floatiest red dress I've ever seen - for a few numbers. And nearly tripped on that dress on the way out. Dame Penelope Wilton read Christmas Thank Yous.. but the highlight of the first half, for many of us, were the kids that came on for "A Caribbean Christmas", all festooned in colourful costumes. I was dying for them to break into song and dance, and they finally did, with The Little Drummer Boy (with a Caribbean slant). And we jigged along..

At the interval, some headed for the toilets, we of stronger bladders headed for the (busy) bar. Where we discussed previous Man with the Hat events - there've been quite a few to choose from, lately. Fortified, we headed upstairs again..

I was delighted with the opening number of the second half - Troika has always been one of my favourite pieces. We had another choral number, and Zoe Wanamaker read the final chapter of A Christmas Carol. Finally, the excellent Joe Stilgoe band performed some numbers, then led us in an extended version of Let It Snow. And after some speechifying, we got to sing Hark! the Herald Angels Sing.. and all trooped out feeling Christmassy!

Downstairs, the Man with the Hat directed us to the Royal Court - specifically to the downstairs bar - where we managed to grab a couple of tables at the sofa, right at the back. Drinks were cheaper than in Cadogan Hall, and we had a good time till leaving time. Some of the group I won't see again before Christmas, some I will.. anyway, always good to see 'em.

I see this Christmas lights thing is contagious - that one lit-up flat I snapped previously has evidently spread!


I'm back to Ireland tomorrow for the weekend.. Back in London on Monday for my last week before Christmas, and it won't even be a full week.. on Monday, Crick Crack is doing something a bit different. They're at Soho Theatre, with The Remarkable Tale of Robert Desnos. This, apparently, was a surrealist poet incarcerated in Auschwitz - unusual fare for Crick Crack. One of the speakers is Clare Muireann Murphy - my favourite storyteller, and I'll be fascinated to see what she does with it.

On Tuesday, my last event of the year with the Man with the Hat (sniff!.. unless he surprises us) will be on a trip to the West End. He's scored tickets in the front two rows of the stalls for Dead Funny, at the Vaudeville Theatre, for Let's Do London - for less! Ooh now..

And on Wednesday, my very last thing before I fly back to Ireland for Christmas was supposed to be a presentation on data collection apps, courtesy of Org London. Anyway, Helen is coming to town, and when I saw Christmas in Clerkenwell - a Guided Walk for Shelter, with London Social Detours, I ran it by her, and we're going on that instead.. And then I fly back to Ireland on Thursday of next week, for Christmas..

Then things shall get very quiet for Christmas. I fly back to London on Monday 2 January - still no word on what I'll be doing after that. But hey, I have one more defnite paycheck to come in, which will cover my rent for January, and I have quite a few things booked. On Tuesday 3rd, I have my trusty placeholder of Free Comedy in Hammersmith - gee, it's been a while now since I actually went to one of those! Anyway, assuming I show up, I'm booked with Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, London Art Comedy & Culture Lovers, London Live Comedy, Random London, and London for a Tenner or Less and Funzing UK (both Funzing groups, and both advertising the thing twice). My, that's a lot to cancel, if I do..

On Thursday 4 January, yes, I'm back with the Man with the Hat (no, not Santa Claus) - Let's Do London - for less! is off on their annual festive trip to The Nutcracker (ahh!) at the Opera House. Sold out performance, I see. See now, even if I'm jobless, that's worth flying in for.

And on Friday 5 January, I'm (nominally) back in Hammersmith - this time, only with London Live Comedy, Free Comedy Nights in Hammersmith Wimbledon and Farringdon, Funzing UK. and London for a Tenner or Less. Once only with each!

No comments:

Post a Comment